Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My images show up distorted, what's wrong?

by snowflakeinpa / January 4, 2004 3:45 AM PST

Hi!! When I look at my screen, all of the images show up distorted a little and the color is not right at all. I run a Dell dimension 4100, Windows ME, and I think the version of windows is 5.50. Any other questions, you will need to ask, cause I don't have a clue where I can look to see if something got off whack!! Thanks a lot!!
snowflakeinpa aka
snowflake15767@yahoo.com

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My images show up distorted, what's wrong?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My images show up distorted, what's wrong?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:My images show up distorted, what's wrong?/one step at a time
by Steven Haninger / January 4, 2004 5:08 AM PST

If this is a gradual process you have just noticed, it could well be a problem of magnetic flux that interferes with color and image focus. If yours is an LCD, this does not apply. If a CRT, it may have a "degause" function. Many do this when the monitor is turned on or off. Your monitor may have other features to tune it. Mention the brand and model and someone out there may have one of these. If this has been ruled out, it could be a cable or other hardware connection problem. You can reseat cables to try. Maybe explaining a little bit more about what you see in the way of distortion might help too. Good luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:My images show up distorted, what's wrong?/one step at a time

Thanks for your comments, they are appreciated. I have a Dell Dimension 4100. It must be a CRT monitor, cause I do have a "degause" function, but I tried pressing it, but it didn't take the problem away. Like I said I have IE 5.50 and it runs Windows ME. The color on the images/graphics are distorted as far as they aren't a natural color. They are faded out somewhat. I'm sorry, I am not sure what else to say, but I just know it is driving me NUTS, lol.

Collapse -
Re:Snowflake, Some More Things To Do
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 4, 2004 12:07 PM PST

First, there may be an updated video driver for your Dell Dimension 4100 which might fix the issue. You'll need to identify your particular graphics card in the "Device Manager"(RIGHT click on "My Computer", choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "Device Manager" tab, then scroll down and click on the + sign next to the "Display Adapters" listing. A specific device will be listed that you'll need to identify by clicking on the specific device ONCE to highlight it, then click on the "Properties" button.) and once that is done, you can download the driver for your particular card at the link below:

Dell Dimension 4100 Video Drivers

Next, because it might be a problem with the monitor itself, borrow a monitor from a friend and swap it for your current one. See if the problem is fixed. Monitors can simply go bad and you may need a new one.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Snowflake, Some More Things To Do
by snowflakeinpa / January 5, 2004 11:40 PM PST

Thanks SO much for all your advice. I did everything you said, but that wasn't the problem. They said nothing was wrong with the driver I had, after I tried to download a new one. (by the way, thanks to your info, I learned I have a "Rage 128 Pro", lol!!!)
I discovered, inadvertently, what I think is the cause, but I have NO idea how to go about fixing it. I noticed that all my images/graphics are trying to download as PNG(*.png) instead of their usual GIF or JPEG's!!!! I think that's what is wrong with my display when I look at my screen I think they are in PNG format, and I don't know where to go to change it back. When I try to download a graphic, my only choice is PNG or BMP. How did that happen without my changing it myself? Any help would be so appreciated.
Thanks for all your help though!!!!
snowflakeinpa

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:Snowflake, Some More Things To Do
by Cursorcowboy / January 6, 2004 2:41 AM PST

1. I think you'll really enjoy having this freeware, "IrfanView", a fast image viewer/converter for Win95/98/NT.

2. Some features of IrfanView are:

Thumbnail option, preview option, drag & drop support, slideshow, fast directory view (fast moving through directory), batch conversion, audio CD player, print option, change color depth, scan support, cut/crop, effects (sharpen, blur, photoshop filter factory etc.), capturing, extract icons from EXE/DLLs, many hotkeys ...

3. By default, images are saved in Microsoft Internet Explorer as bitmap images (.bmp) and there is no option to save an extension other than .bmp. This behavior may be experenced even when an image being saved uses a different format (such as .gif or .jpeg). For example, right-clicking an image on a Web page and then clicking Save Picture As, the file name that appears in the File name box is Untitled and the file type that appears in the Save as type box is Bitmap (*.bmp). This behavior may occur, [Q810978]:

a. If a damaged program file (for example, an ActiveX or Java object) is downloaded to the SystemRoot\Downloaded Program Files folder.
==and/or==
b. The contents of the Temporary Internet Files folder have not been purged recently, (Tools, Internet Options, and in the section titled Temporary Internet files, Delete Files...).

Collapse -
Re:Re:Snowflake, Some More Things To Do
by snowflakeinpa / January 6, 2004 7:08 AM PST

Thanks CursorCowboy for the info. I bookmarked the IrfanView site, or however it is spelled, and I will be looking in to that. I am going to try calling technical support at Dell, but I am not really sure what will go on there. Thanks.
snowflakeinpa

Collapse -
NT -- Welcome, and did you persue the information in the reference?
by Cursorcowboy / January 6, 2004 8:36 PM PST

Collapse -
Snowflake, This Might Help Too
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 6, 2004 3:14 AM PST
Many times, the pictures that you download off a web page are not of sufficient resolution to create a good, clear background on your computer screen. In order to save file space on the page, the pictures are reduced in clarity, and although the look find on the page when small, they don't "blow up" very clear. Unfortunately, if the resolution starts out small, there's not much you can do to make it much better. So, normally, if you want to use a picture from a webpage, the bigger the picture is, the better the resolution will be on your computer.

In addition, if they were designed as .png files, you may not have the option to save them as anything other than .png or .bmp. If the option is available, it can usually be done by RIGHT clicking on the picture, choose "Save Picture As", then when the "Save As" window loads, click on the "Sava as type" line at the bottom of the window. If .jpg, or .gif is available, it should be listed there. If it's not available, then you can save the picture and "convert" it to a different file type by using the Irfanview program that Cursorcowboy suggested above.

In addition, have you tried changing the computer's screen resolution, like this:

RIGHT click on a blank area of the desktop, choose "Properties". When that loads, click on the "Settings" tab. Move the "Desktop area" slider to a number 800 X 600 or larger. But remember, the larger the number, the smaller the icons will be on the desktop, and the harder the graphics program will work. Most folks use 800 X 600, or possibly 1024 X 768, but it's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif
Collapse -
Re:Snowflake, This Might Help Too
by snowflakeinpa / January 6, 2004 7:03 AM PST

I thank you and everyone for your help. I am pretty overwhelmed right now, but I am going to try to digest all this information all of you gave me for a day or two, and work on it. All I do know, is that somehow the gif and jpg formats disappeared from my choices when I go to download a picture to my own files, and PNG has taken their place, and I never did anything anywher to change that. I don't understand WHERE to go to be able to download these graphics as gif's or jpeg's, as the artists formatted them originally. Why did this happen out of the blue? Thanks again everyone for trying to help me, I really do appreciate your efforts.
Sincerely,
snowflakeinpa

Collapse -
First things first...

You have not mentioned whether the problem happened suddenly or gradually over time...but try: Adjust the contrast/brightness or the monitor;
Adjust color settings at the display properties--how many colors ? (right click an empty area of the desktop, go to properties at the bottom of the drop down menu, go to the settings tab) Play round...

Collapse -
Re:First things first...
by snowflakeinpa / January 5, 2004 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: First things first...

Thanks for your info too Papa Echo!! The problem happened suddenly. I really feel that the problem is what format of graphics I am viewing, but I have no idea where to go to change it so it will display the images/graphics in their original formats. Does this mean that something is going wrong with my computer? I also meant to mention that the pixels in the images or graphics, look smeared, so that's why I think I am viewing and having to save them as PNG's. I am at a total loss, so ANY help would be appreciated.
snowflakeinpa

Collapse -
Re:My images show up distorted, what's wrong?
by snowflakeinpa / January 6, 2004 11:23 PM PST

Thanks to each of you for your valuable help. I just must be a 'dense' person. I did do everything each of you told me to do, but the images are still not what they should be. I will pay someone here in my town to fix it since I don't understand what's wrong. I was just trying to save myself money cause I have limited funds. Thanks so much all.
snowflakeinpa

Collapse -
Images online
by rjaffeux / June 30, 2010 12:03 AM PDT

My computer has been doing the same things. I can see on my pictures on my computer fine. If have them in my photo file (not online) they look fine. All our games look fine on and off line. It's just the images on websites. They look horrible. I don't know what happened. It's on IE and Firefox. The only difference between the two is if I'm on IE i can right click them and clear them all up by clicking. (Display all images full quality) it does it on that page but when i leave that page they are not full quality) Firefox doesn't have that at all so there is no way to clear them up. It did it all of a sudden. Today is the 30th and it all started on the 20th. Right out of no where. I don't see anything i have changed on my computer. AUGH! i may have to just restore it to see if that helps. But i hate doing that and the last time i did that i wouldn't do it. Oh well any advice or anything you learn from your computer geek please forward on. I can't afford to have someone fix it. I don't have the money at all.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.