Laptops forum

General discussion

My HP Pavilion ZD8000 won't turn on

by aviation76 / March 20, 2007 4:24 AM PDT

My HP zd8000 notebook will not turn on. Not even one iota of noise or activity when I press the power button. Initially, the AC power adapter failed (the green LED on the power adapter did not come on). So I purchased a new HP replacement power adapter and verified that the green LED came on. When I connected it to my notebook, it would not turn on. I noted that the AC power light is on. Also, the battery light is on, however, it is blinking (which states that the battery has a low charge). Therefore, I assume the battery is not charging.

I followed instructions per HP troubleshooting article "HP Notebook PCs - Notebook Does Not Startup or Boot Displaying a Blank Screen". I re-seated the RAM, as instructed, and the notebook still does not turn
on. I corresponded with HP tech support. Aside from re-seating the RAM, they stated to re-seat the hard drive. I did this but to no avail. They said to send it in?of course, I can buy a new laptop for the price they will charge for diagnostic and repair!

Please note that when the AC power adapter initially failed, I had a spare battery (which had a charge) and continued using the notebook while waiting for the new AC power adapter to arrive until the battery died. Therefore, I can conclude that the notebook is operational but it cannot receive AC power to charge the battery.

Please advise. Thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My HP Pavilion ZD8000 won't turn on
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My HP Pavilion ZD8000 won't turn on
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There are other companies to do repair.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 4:44 AM PDT

If it's out of warranty drop a line to ikenfixit.com and notefix.com Both have done board level repairs of the power supply area.

However if you have many year old batteries be sure to ask to send them in for a test since an old battery can overtax the charging circuit and cause a failure. It's been tough to get people to stop slipping in that old battery. They hope it will come back but it is more likely to damage the circuits.

Bob

Collapse -
by aviation76 / March 20, 2007 5:09 AM PDT

Yeah, it is out of warranty. Thanks for suggesting ikenfixit.com. I have heard good things about this repair shop. Before I send it out for repairs, I am trying to pin-point what may be causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

Collapse -
To pinpoint it I...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 20, 2007 5:23 AM PDT
In reply to: ...

I use my oscilloscope to trace the charging circuit and see if I find a dead component. I have a few decades of electronics repair knowledge to draw on. Here's hoping this helps you.

Bob

Collapse -
ZD8000
by ikenfixit / March 25, 2007 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: To pinpoint it I...

Thanx RP.. These are fun to track down as theyre a 3 lead adapter circuit w/data pin linked to BIOS and imbedded controller. Weve repaired quite a few and hopefully yours is not serious. Does the LED drop out on the adapter after plugging in or pressing the power button? Or are you getting a brief flash and then dead until you unplug and reseat? We dont charge to "not repair" thats about the best we can offer, Just please pay return ship fee if its not repairable or costs are too high. Good luck!

www.ikenfixit.com
www.laptop-power-repair.com

Collapse -
same problem
by Wild_Blue / December 10, 2007 2:16 AM PST
In reply to: ZD8000

Ken,
I am having the same problem as mentioned on here. I discovered that after I reseat the power cord a number of times, the computer would start on ac power. However, after numerous attempts and taking it apart down to the system board, it is still not restarting. I get the blue ac light and the occasional 3 blips indicating a low battery, then nothing until I plug it in again.

I really don't want to send this thing off to be repaired. I thought that if I disconnected the battery-power supply it would force it to start up on ac power. Help!

Collapse -
Fixed the issue with solder
by Phlamesdoe / June 16, 2013 11:55 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem

My issue when plugged in blue plug light is on after about 5 mins or so charging bolt starts to blink but no charge and will not turn on all you get is 3 blinks for lightning bolt and if no batter is in you get nothing but plug light.

So I broke this thing down to the motherboard and right where the power port connects to the motherboard I shorted the 2nd and 3rd point on the board. There is 5 points they kind of zig zag up and down starting down then point 2 is up 3 is down 4 is up and 5 is down you can use a screwdriver or something to test this out let it touch the 2nd & 3rd then try to turn it on. Everything is working great and no need to ship it here is a link to the pic.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/atjaavlxbg4920i/20130614_000115.jpg

Collapse -
Subject closed.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 19, 2013 2:00 AM PDT

This thread is more than 2282 days old. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and replying to it will serve no purpose. However, it attracted spam and is now closed with the spam removed.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.