Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My (horrible) experience with AVG Internet Security

by neonrider2 / February 16, 2008 1:35 AM PST

My experience with AVG Internet Security, Grisoft (Grisoft.com) and Digital River (to whom I paid)

1. They do not honour their refund policy (see below). I applied for a refund and in the same message I wrote the reasons why I don't want AVG IS (Internet Security) anymore. The support or billing person wrote me to apply again and to write reasons. I already wrote the reasons. They are just winning time to avoid the refund. Today is the last day of the month since I purchased the AVG I/S and I'm afraid I lost my right to a chargeback. Grisoft / Digital River / AVG / Element5 has been ignoring my refund requests since then. I mean, no response, even if I reapplied for a refund two more times.

What is your refund policy?
Generally a 30 days refund policy applies to the purchase of AVG software. If you are not satisfied with your AVG product, kindly contact us. We would appreciate if you could inform us about the reason.

2. The following are the problems with AVG Internet Security:

a) Scanning my PC, suddenly window pop-up saying scan completed, so many spyware found, I click OK, but it keeps on scanning..... so is the scan over (as pop-up showed) or is it not?

b) I disabled the email scanner, but it scans my email (occasionally, quite often, every day) anyway. I unchecked "scan incoming and outgoing email" boxes and since that did NOT stop the email scanner (??) as per suggestion of the support I also clicked on "Disable Plugin" button which by the way keeps on enabling itself every time I reload my PC. Also, the AVG logo now is grey-black instead of colourful and it keeps on popping the abnnoying notice about email scanner not fully functional (bottom bar). I thought I disabled it....(?)

c) AVG IS found a "Framer" virus, but left it unremoved. I had to remove it by other methods. Here's the result of the scan: 6 files healed successfully
1 file error while healing The error is the virus that it found,but did not heal.

d) user-unfriendly confusing interface;

e) slows computer down, and itself as well, it takes at least 10 seconds for any interface of AVG to open. AVG is extremely slow to open. Every page I open takes several seconds of "thinking". For example: I clicked on "Test Center" button, it took 11 seconds to open.

f) conflicting results and statistics;

g) support takes over a day to respond; they don't respond all questions or inquiries;

h) asking to enter a LICENSE NUMBER inthe payment returns (refund) area, but I was NOT provide a LICENSE NUMBER; I can not see anything with "Licwense Number" on their emails, or purchase receipt or invoice or even their CD.

i) Window states that XX number of files healed, but when I go to a statistics area it says that "0 files healed" "X moved to vault".

j) After AVG was done with it's full scan, I let AdAware scan my PC and it found many tracking cookies (no browsing was done in between the two scans).

k) No License Number was found inthe software nor on the CD. The support wrote: "you can check your currently active license number in
the following way: - Open the AVG Control Center. => - Select the "License" component. => - Select the "Re-activate" button.
I did all that, but there is NO license number! And AVG support ignores me now. I get tickets assigned to me, but no response for the last week or more.

l) Their forum.grisoft.cz forum is confusing. Registration and login is confusing. Not sure what to entrer under "username" since their instructions say something about sales/license number which was not provided to me, etc. It's probably done to intentionally confuse you, so you don't get to post on their forum.

P.S. I just was refused a claim by Paypal (automatically by their website) but after I spoke with Paypal rep. and explained the situation and presented the proof and the facts to them, they told me they will credit my account for the money and will put a record on Digital River / Grisoft (whatever their main name is) in Paypal system.

UPDATE: just received an email from Grisoft / Digital River / AVG:

Thank you for your email.

We have received a refund request from you.

If you have a specific reason why you have decided to ask for a refund
we would appreciate if you could inform us about it.

Please confirm your refund request at paymentreturns@avg.com.

AVG Technologies will then refund your purchase price.

As you can see they keep on sending the same emails asking for reasons and details, but never issue a refund after one responds to their email. I applied at least 4 times and sent them numerous emails with all their questions answered and NO REFUND. They just keep on sending the same email again and again asking for reasons and details......

So I think it is a MYTH that AVG is good or best. I suspect Digital River / Grisoft / AVG spam forums with positive feedback themselves to boost sales. I was one of the "catch" of their as I was hooked on the suspectedly fake positive feedback.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My (horrible) experience with AVG Internet Security
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My (horrible) experience with AVG Internet Security
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"it is a MYTH that AVG is good or best."
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 16, 2008 2:02 AM PST

Yes that is a myth about all current antivirus. Part of this issue is that I don't see any of them educating owners about what such protection does and does not do.

One member was looking for what I called a "Magic Shield" that could stop the pests in spite of the member's actions. Today that may only be possible in products such as the XBox, PS2/3 and Wii. The PC or Mac is not such a well controlled box.

If you ever find a great product please share it with us here.

Collapse -
The main message is: NO REFUND
by neonrider2 / February 16, 2008 2:16 AM PST

The main message to the public was not about imperfection of AVG, but about them not refunding my money.

Collapse -
If I use my CC
by bob b / February 16, 2008 4:50 AM PST

to purchase a product and there is a problem with the product I try to work with the merchant to resolve the problem.

I keep track of names/dates/times/what was said etc.

If I feel the merchant is jerking my around then I get out the BIG GUN.

Straight to my CC company and DISPUTE status.

Before you do this make sure you have your facts straight and have made a good faith effort with the merchant.

Collapse -
Read it first
by neonrider2 / February 16, 2008 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: If I use my CC

Bob B, you haven't read my post. That's exactly what I did. I spent a couple weeks time trying to get a good faith refund.

Collapse -
I understand.
by bob b / February 16, 2008 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: Read it first

But if you go dispute....you'll have to document such.

That's where names/dates/times/e-mails etc. are your friends.

Collapse -
Not going to help to post this
by Donna Buenaventura / February 16, 2008 10:15 AM PST
In reply to: Read it first

problem in many forums. I see you posted it also at http://forums.devshed.com/antivirus-protection-117/my-experience-with-avg-internet-security-509912.html

I suggest to follow what Bob b said. Make sure you have all the copies of the email and the purchase orders (email) and confirmation of the order.

Next escalate the matter to your financial institution, Grisoft, Digital River again by sending email to the email address provided by Digital River or go to http://www.grisoft.com/doc/support-sales-form-direct/us/crp/0
Enter the details especially the license number (optional)
If they have your name and email address in their records, license number is not required to enter but easier for them to trace your purchase.

Collapse -
Read it first (2)
by neonrider2 / February 16, 2008 11:58 AM PST

Did you read my original post? It says that Paypal is refunding me. In fact Paypal already refunded me. I don't care about AVG anymore, but yes, I do have all the necessary records. I just want public (not AVG employees or supporters) to have a chance to read my experience with Grisoft / Digital River / AVG and the way they (don't) handle refunds.
The software works somehow, nothing is perfect* (*often it's an excuse of the lazy) and it wasn't what I needed, so all I wanted was a standard refund procedure. I thought describing in a lot of detail would help some new users to know how AVG works and how they "handle" refunds.

Collapse -
You didn't write in your first post
by Donna Buenaventura / February 16, 2008 2:38 PM PST
In reply to: Read it first (2)

that you received the refund already. And I failed to see that Paypal is refunding you.

Your 2nd post also prove that the problem is No Refund

Now that you got it, that's good to know.

Collapse -
Avg and difficutly getting back refund.
by eskur / September 2, 2009 1:24 PM PDT

I have also had/have difficulty getting a response and refund from avg. I purchased avg Jan 3rd, after many attempts to get it to work correctly I requested a refund Jan 27th. They DID remove my license number from having any access for AVG. After numerous request total of 10,I have yet to receive a refund or a response to the refund issue. Unfortunately I did not think to request a refund from my cc.
I find the fact that after you purchase their product to get it to work you need to pay for technical support entirely ludicrous. I will never purchase any product from Grisoft / Digital River / AVG ever again. Consumer BEWARE!

Collapse -
I agree about that Scamming AVG
by upsetcamper / April 16, 2010 1:29 AM PDT

I too am trying to get a refund from AVG, This has to be the worse scamming company I have ever seen, I am currently going through all the refund hassles that other person posted about their refund hassles, I think this company needs to change their policys and stop the scam, or be shut down! There is no possible way to contact them

Collapse -
AVG refund e-mail PLEASE HELP
by avgScamPromo / March 1, 2011 5:03 PM PST

Scam promo on Zynga Farmville game - promo did not work within game - can't find AVG e-mail to request refund. Paid through Paypal but direct payment on AVG site, so Paypal will not help. AVG HAS THE WORST SUPPORT I HAVE EVER SEEN - NO CONTACT INFO ON THEIR WEBSITE.

Collapse -
Not sure I understand
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 6:32 PM PST
Collapse -
by avgScamPromo / March 4, 2011 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Not sure I understand

YES - it was the AVG PC clean promo with the Bi-Plane. I have all supporting docs - Paypal confirmation, Zynga support request/response. I have NO license # to submit on the AVG support form; therefore - NO SUPPORT available. They have NO e-mail contact anywhere but a phone message says I must e-mail for refund.
There Bi-plane not only did not work - it corrupted my existing instant grow function. I deleted their plane, their app from my PC immediately before more damage could be done.

Collapse -
Was it related to AVG's PC TuneUp 2011 & AVG Biplane offer?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 1, 2011 11:47 PM PST

Is it THIS?? Confused

An illustrated guide to claiming and using your limited edition AVG biplane.

Here I see where it says:

Don't forget that for a limited time only, you can get an exclusive AVG Biplane for your FarmVille farm that comes with three instant grow flights to use on any crop of your choice! Not only is this a super boost for your growing farm but you'll get a great deal on AVG PC Tuneup (only $9.99 - prices are converted to your local currency) which will help keep your computer (and farm!) running smoothly. Here are some of PC TuneUp's great features:

Is THAT it?? Confused

There are a lot of Zynga scams. I highly doubt AVG is related to any of them.

As Mark wrote, you're definitely going to have to tell us more.

Collapse -

What I am asking for is simply an e-mail address for AVG support. I cannot get this info ANYWHERE on their contact website - no support without a license #. I bought into the Zynga/AVG promo within the first hour that it was posted. The promo not only did not work - the "AVG plane" did not function - moreover, it prevented the normal function of my own instant grow. Zynga was aware immediately - could not help - referred me to AVG support.

PLEASE PROVIDE AN E-MAIL ADDRESS FOR AVG SUPPORT. I paid - promo was non-functional - I want a refund. The AVG app is not on my PC.

I could forward my Zynga support request/response to you if need be.

Collapse -
I understand your frustration. Mak should be able to help :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 4, 2011 11:05 AM PST

I understand your frustration. I wish I could be of help, but I'm unable to find an AVG support email address. Sad

When I went to FarmVille and AVG, it's suggested to go to AVG Customer Support for further assistance. Something, Mark already provided/suggested. Sad

According to the comments at the very bottom of THIS page, they suggest posting AVG/Zynga problems at the Zynga Forums. Something else Mak [sic] provided.

I trust Mark (given his infinite wisdom) should be able to help. I'm afraid he's not going to see your post until tomorrow, due to time differences.

IF for some reason he doesn't see your post (which I feel he WILL) I can only suggest you ask at CNET's AVG Forum. I urge you to wait for Mark. He's a wealth of information!

I'm NOT taking your problem lightly. With a little patience, hopefully you be able to get the situation resolved, sooner than later.

Collapse -

Thank you very much for your response and YES, I will look for a post from Mark. There is NO possibility of support from AVG without a license #. I find it unconscionable that they list no e-mail address on their website. I can easily attach all documentation to an e-mail. I have already exhausted ALL assistance request to Zynga forum AND even also the Zynga rep who handles the AVG promo - always referred to AVG customer support which, as we are ALL aware, will not respond without a license #. There is NO license # as I did not activate the AVG application. I even called the AVG main office and was switched over to the Customer support line that - again - asked for a license #. All I need is an e-mail address which I am sure must exist.
I have a new min-MAC PC w/8gb ram which functions seamlessly - I bought into the AVG promo when it was first posted in the Farmville/Zynga game - & only because at that time there was a "double mastery" within the game. The AVG Bi-plane not only did not work, it corrupted and caused "out of sync" in my entire game. I deleted every AVG related function - that resolved my problem - and am seeking a refund of the 9.30 Euro (I am in Rome, Italy) that I paid via Paypal.
If the "bugs" in the AVG promo have since been fixed, I am not interested at all now - the timing is long past for any benefit in my Farmville game.
The 9.30 Euro is a small amount, but I am clearly entitled to a refund as I have all supporting documentation.

Collapse -

I am reading up on this thread and find: paymentreturns@avg.com - I will now use this e-mail to request my refund. I will post results here.

Collapse -
(NT) No reason to buy anything from AVG the Free Version Rocks
by EZRIDER714 / March 3, 2011 9:42 AM PST
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.