Computer Help forum

My friend has a problem with his pc.

by TheWoakus / December 20, 2012 5:10 AM PST

Well my friend baught a new pc for about a year ago. And he baught it in parts, so he could get the parts he wanted. Well and after he got the parts he assempled the pc and installed windows 7

In the start everything went well with playing games, with no lag at all. (He mostly played Skyrim) But after a while he got tired of Skyrim and wanted to play something else. Here is where the problem come. Almost every game except from a few, makes his pc either crash, freeze or lag. Me that had a worse pc could run the same games with higher setting with no problems, what so ever. And so i started discussing this problem with my dad.( which helped him pick the parts our, and also we build a lot computer and helps when someone got a problem) and so we discussed and found some selutions. But when i tried them, they didn't do any difference.
We tried:
Increasing fan speed.
Reinstalling windows 7
Running the game from another hard drive
Installing Winows 7 on another hard drive
Testing his videocard in my pc. And than i could still run games better than him.
And also restarting the CMOS.

And so i come here and post this for more expreienced people to read and to hopefully help us out. And if anyone could have a selution, we could then finally play together in other games than minecraft. And he also has no problem buying new parts, but he doesn't want to but new parts in vein
His specs:
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti
AMD FX (tm)/4100 Quad-Core prossesor 3.60 GHz
8 Gb ram
Gigabyte ga-970a-ud3

Sorry for the long post, and also sorry for my bad English. Sad

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My friend has a problem with his pc.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My friend has a problem with his pc.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did they do the basics?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 20, 2012 5:25 AM PST

Such as wipe off the heat sink compound, apply new and check the fans?

Collapse -
If i did the basics?
by TheWoakus / December 20, 2012 11:31 PM PST

Well all of his fans are working but that heat thingy you have between the prossesor and the fan is not there. So i'm going to try to apply that as soon as i get my hands on some Wink

Collapse -
Well i did the basics
by TheWoakus / January 2, 2013 8:26 PM PST
In reply to: If i did the basics?

Yeah i wiped of the old dried out sink compund and applied new. It became more stable, but it's still overheating! He's going to buy a more powerfull CPU fan and hopefully that will work

Collapse -
What are the system TEMPs ?
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: Well i did the basics

If you're not sure, download, install, run and minimize PCWizard2012. While you use your PC..the system temps ....CPU core(s), GPU, etc., will remain visible in the upper right hand corner.of the monitor.

Have you tried running with the side off ?

Exactly what PSU are you running ?

How many case fans are there ?

For good information on aftermarket CPU fans.....check http://www.FROSTYTECH.COM

Collapse -
The system temps.
by TheWoakus / January 3, 2013 4:12 AM PST

Well i have tried taking the sides of and that helped a little, but not enought for it not to crash. And the regular temps is at 54 idle, and 90 in games. Except on minecraft. There are around 3 case fans in there too. But tomrrow i'm bringing a huge CPU fan and i'm going to check if that helps Wink

Collapse -
90C is pretty hot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:13 AM PST
In reply to: The system temps.

Is the BIOS current and at its defaults? Once in a while I encounter folk that are overclocking and for those folk, it's OK to crash.

Collapse -
If i overcloaked
by TheWoakus / January 3, 2013 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: 90C is pretty hot.

Well i did change it back to factory settting, and none of us did even attempt to overcloack it. So no i havn't overcloak it

Collapse -
Not cloaked or even cloak and dagger.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:38 AM PST
In reply to: If i overcloaked

"Over clocked." I'd research if the BIOS is current. I rarely check that but in this case it may matter. If the BIOS is off a little or an old version there may be an issue with the defaults.

I'm sure that you as a PC builder have encountered this one.

Collapse -
Ok...agree with Bob 50 at idle and 90 during play
by VAPCMD / January 3, 2013 5:20 AM PST
In reply to: The system temps.

it too high !

Recommend you check the aftermarket CPU HS Fans....there are high-end, high price CPU HS Fan units but there are also a number that do a very respectable job at less than $'s the link to rated HS fan units on AMD processors.

Also ...what PSU are you running ??

Collapse -
How about air flow?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: Well i did the basics

That machine is one I run into and frankly will not allow in the repair shop. The owners often demand it get fixes which entails a new motherboard and CPU if the usual doesn't cure it. Here I can share some of the usual to stabilize the ones that are OK.

Try it with the cover off.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.