Browsers, E-mail, & Web Apps forum

General discussion

My Firefox scroll bar is on left not right. How do I move i

by TheGothmother / April 1, 2009 8:29 PM PDT

Yesterday, I opened up Firefox and found the scroll bar on the left instead of the right on every page I visit. It's driving me crazy. Does anyone know how to fix it?

IE is working fine!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Firefox scroll bar is on left not right. How do I move i
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Firefox scroll bar is on left not right. How do I move i
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Tried that yesterday and here's why it didn't work!
by TheGothmother / April 1, 2009 9:06 PM PDT

When I go to about:config and look for layout.scrollbar.side there is no such preference listed!

P.S. I didn't change anything. One day it was on the right as always, the next it was on the left!

Collapse -
Then insert it yourself with the preferred value.
by Kees Bakker / April 1, 2009 9:10 PM PDT

Does it work?

Collapse -
Can't figure out how to do it
by TheGothmother / April 1, 2009 9:40 PM PDT

I can't get a cursor in a new line. Any attempt to type just replaces an existing entry.

Collapse -
See if this works.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 7:23 AM PDT

In the list of about:config entries, right click any empty part of the main window and select New > Integer.

Give it the preferred name, in this case layout.scrollbar.side and then type in 0 (that is a zero), in the integer value window.

Does that work?

Collapse -
Nice try, no cigar!
by TheGothmother / April 2, 2009 6:53 PM PDT
In reply to: See if this works.

I did all that & was able to add that preference. I then restarted Firefox but still have a left-hand scrollbar! It doesn't make sense!

Collapse -
Uninstall Firefox.
by Kees Bakker / April 2, 2009 6:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice try, no cigar!

Then delete the Mozilla folders in your profile (probably 2, in Application Data and in Local Settings) and install it again.

Collapse -
Now it works
by TheGothmother / April 2, 2009 7:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Uninstall Firefox.

I just changed the integer to 2 and it is now showing on the right. Thanks for your help.

Collapse -
Changed to 2?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 8:12 PM PDT
In reply to: Now it works

That's interesting. Mine is set to 0, but I've just changed it to 2 and the scroll bar stayed on the right.

Anyway, glad to see you managed to sort it out yourself. It must have been very strange having a left sided scroll bar, Happy

Collapse -
Yes, but I still have to use IE
by TheGothmother / April 2, 2009 8:52 PM PDT
In reply to: Changed to 2?

Just when I thought everything was hunky dory, Firefox has decided to only display SOME of the text on some eBay pages. D'oh!!!

Collapse -
Might be time to start over with Firefox.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 2, 2009 8:59 PM PDT

If there are going to be continuing problems with Firefox, possibly your Firefox profile has become corrupted and it may be better to delete everything Firefox related and start over.

John Wilkinson has given guidelines in the "Forum Sticky" for repairing and/or uninstalling Firefox and how to backup things like Bookmarks. The link is here;;posts#2484636

Just a note about that though. If I was doing this, I would first check that I have another type of browser that works, eg IE, so that I can use it to download Firefox again from

And finally, after uninstalling I would reboot, (restart), the system before installing Firefox again, just to make sure any registry entries have been cleaned out.

Good luck.

Collapse -
by TheGothmother / April 2, 2009 9:22 PM PDT

Thanks Mark,
That sounds like a weekend job! I'll let you know how I go.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.