PC Hardware forum

General discussion

My external hard drive freeze my computer when plugged in

by synder1212 / March 26, 2010 9:04 AM PDT

If I unplug it everything will run smoothly but it is plugged in things will slow down. Windows doesn't recognize it, I can't run chkdsk on it. It says Check Disk Utility has encountered a problem. Also says I/O Device Error. I rebooted my pc with it plugged in it went to the screen right before the mouse arrow shows up and stopped. Then I unplugged it and my pc started up. Tried to change the drive letter, and error check but nothing happens it just freezes my computer until I unplug it. I also tried to defrag it showed up in the list of drives but if I clicked it everything would freeze again. Same thing would happen when I click it on the My Computer folder. What should I do? I'm gonna reformat it next if no one has a better idea. Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My external hard drive freeze my computer when plugged in
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My external hard drive freeze my computer when plugged in
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
"what should I do?"
by ahtoi / March 26, 2010 12:12 PM PDT

If you just bought it, get your money back and try a different brand. This happen to me a couple time; now I know what brand not to get. But off hand...I forgot, hehe. What brand do you have?

Collapse -
Sounds like it has failed
by Dango517 / March 26, 2010 12:19 PM PDT

speaking of sound, does it make noise? If so replace it for sure. Modern hard drives should make no noise till they fail.

Do you have a manual for this? Read and follow it's direction exactly. This could be a configuration problem that I would imagine you have created.

Most drive makers have support and forums, if not telephone support for these kinds of problems call them or visit their site fro assistance.

This thread is untracked.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.