Computer Newbies

General discussion

My DVD Burner won't read DVD's but it will read CD-R's

by noisykids / April 27, 2005 5:40 PM PDT

I have an LG 12xSuper Multi DVD Rewriter and run Windows Me. I have been using it sucessfully for the last 6 months to burn DVD's. Today when I tried to use it to burn a DVD it informed me that there was no disk in the drive - there definitely was a disk in the drive. I thought maybe there was something wrong with the DVD so I tried a few others but got the same message. The drive doesn't seem to have a problem reading CD-R's. I have tried re-installing the software but that doesn't help. I have also tried using a CD/LD Laser Lens Cleaner and that hasn't helped either. My guess is that the DVD Rewriter is cactus but I just want to make sure that I haven't overlooked anything basic before I send it away for repairs (since it's still under warranty.

noisykids

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My DVD Burner won't read DVD's but it will read CD-R's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My DVD Burner won't read DVD's but it will read CD-R's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If it is under warranty, call your manufacturer
by glb613 / April 27, 2005 8:11 PM PDT

It sounds like the drive has failed.

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 27, 2005 9:16 PM PDT

Uninstall and install the DVD recording software.

-> Install CDBurnerXP and see if it can erase/record some DVDRW.

Bob

Collapse -
CD Burner XP...
by toolbox20 / December 1, 2005 12:21 PM PST
In reply to: Try this.

...is this an independent program, or a part of Windows XP? I have been having problems with an I/O Magic internal dvd+/-rw/+/-r drive, and since it doesn't even come with a drivers disk, I've been stumped. My problem is that when I put in a verbatim dvd+r dvd to burn, the limit set by the nero software lies at 8000 MB, which causes all kinds of wasted (expensive)disks; I try to only put in 4.2 GB on each disk but if there is ANY way to try and fix this, I would really be grateful).

Collapse -
I forgot...
by toolbox20 / December 1, 2005 12:25 PM PST
In reply to: CD Burner XP...

sorry, I'm running Windows XP SP1 Home Edition on an EMachines T2040 with a 2.0 GHZ Intel Celeron Processor with 256 MB ram.

Collapse -
Toolbox, It's A Third Party Program
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 1, 2005 12:47 PM PST
In reply to: I forgot...
Collapse -
I had similar problem.
by johnm92 / April 27, 2005 10:42 PM PDT

I had a similar problem to yours but with a Dell computer.

A few steps to take before calling the manufacturer or engineer, if still under warranty.

1. Make sure that there is not dust/dirt in or around the drive. If needs be use an air blower to remove dust etc.

2. Uninstall then reinstall the software/drivers

3. Check via the device manager to see if there are any issues/problems with the device.

Have you tried burning onto the disks from another DVD burner, it could be that the disks are faulty.

Failing all that, then call manufacturer/Engineer.

Hope that this helps.

Collapse -
In Nero
by chuckieu / December 2, 2005 3:12 AM PST
In reply to: I had similar problem.

The 1st screen loaded after you select it has a choice to make. At the top, you have to choose a drive, either DVD or CDRW. DVDs will not burn using the CDRW setting and CDs will not burn on the DVD setting. You will get a message like you are seeing. Hope this helps. chuck

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.