Windows 7 forum

Question

My desktop keeps going into 'temporary profile' mode

by guesswhoquestionmark / September 25, 2012 10:26 AM PDT

I apologize this is a long post and hopefully I am making sense.

I got this computer in January 2012, its a HP TouchSmart 610 All in One Desktop with Windows 7.

Approx around 10 September 2012 my computer went into temporary profile mode.

''You have been logged on with a temporary profile.

You cannot access your files and files created in this profile will be deleted when you log off. To fix this, log off and try logging on later. Please see the event log for details of contact system administrator.''

For the first few days I shut own the computer and restarted and there was no major dramas. But that opinion quickly became a no quick fix.

I called HP and over the phone that an automatic Microsoft Updates must be corrupt, hence the problems. I was walked through a Microsoft System Restore. This was down when the computer was starting up and by pressing F11. We went back a few days but this message popped up after Microsoft System restore.

''System Restore did not complete sucessfully. Your computer settings were not changed.

Details:
An unspecified error occured during sstem restore. (0x80070002).''

The guy from HP told me this is fine and I started the computer and everything was fine. We turned off the updates from Microsoft. Two days later the computer was again in Temporory Profile mode. Again I called HP and the man over the phone told me to do I complete system restore. I said no I have to backup files, photos and bookmarks before I do that. I have since then backed up everything. I haven't called them back but every two days I do a Microsoft System restore because the computer goes into temp mode. I just did one now and the computer will be working fine tomorrow, but the day after no luck.

Is there anything I can do other than a full system restore? I am not in the mode to download programs and start from scratch.

PS I don't have any viruses, malware etc because I a scan my computer every day and the scans are clear.

Thanks in advance.

Guesswho

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My desktop keeps going into 'temporary profile' mode
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My desktop keeps going into 'temporary profile' mode
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
It's Usually A Faulty Profile
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 11:09 AM PDT

Unfortunately, user profiles can become corrupt.. In such cases here, we create a new user profile, with a new username and login, with the same rights and permissions, then transfer all the data and information from the original profile to the new one.. Test the new login/profile and if it performs as expected, keep it and delete the old one.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Thank Griff but....
by guesswhoquestionmark / September 26, 2012 6:17 PM PDT

How do I create a new user profile?

Also, how do I transfer all data and information from old profile to new profile?

Guesswho

Collapse -
To Create A New User Profile
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / September 28, 2012 4:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank Griff but....

Google is a great tool and you might think about using such for questions such as the one's you just raised..

Still, although I'm not on a Win7 computer at the moment, this might help.

Create new user/user profile. (There are a number of ways, and this is just one.). Open the Control Panel, select "User Accounts", then select "Manage another account", then select "Create a New Account". Once there, give the new account a different name than the previous one and follow the prompts to create the new account.. If the previous account was an admin account, give this one admin privileges as well.

Next, log into the new account, and while using Windows Explorer, open a folder from the previous account, such as "My Documents", highlight all the files inside the folder, then copy them.. Now open your new Documents folder and copy all the files there.. You'll then need to copy all of the files from the previous account to the new one.

The link below should help.

http://windows.microsoft.com/is-IS/windows-vista/fix-a-corrupted-user-profile

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Answer
I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM!!!
by archostablets / November 5, 2012 11:10 AM PST

I bought my HP Touchsmart 610 in March and, it got into temporary mode in Sept. I reformatted my computer with a backup disk. 2 weeks later it was back to temporary profile. It still is. This is my last HP product that I will buy ever in my life. I now hate HP...

Collapse -
temporary profile issue
by mikemmil / February 2, 2013 8:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Answer
HP printer bloatware corrupts profile and registry.
by shackert / August 25, 2013 6:57 AM PDT

Bloatware, provided with some HP Printers caused the problem you describe. When I removed that program, everything works fine.
The villain is:
SIMPLEPASS by HP.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.