Laptops forum

General discussion

my dell laptop screen suddenly fades

by jnkwize1 / September 27, 2010 4:13 PM PDT

my dell latitude d610 laptop while on suddenly screen fades with lines of all colors verticle and horizontal appears and screen totally goes blury and computer freezes, then I have to turn it off and re-boot again some time it will do it again and again and eventually it will be ok. laptop remain work fine for few weeks and suddenly it happens again. i re-installed and updated all video card drivers, ran dignoctis, it all came ok, cooling fan is working fine too. Can someone tell what could be the problem? Thanks
J

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my dell laptop screen suddenly fades
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my dell laptop screen suddenly fades
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2010 9:12 AM PDT

How long has it been since the chips, heatsinks, vents and such were cleaned? This item is noted as a YEARLY TASK for the vents at the least. I find most laptops never are cleaned.
Bob

Collapse -
laptop screen fades
by jnkwize1 / September 28, 2010 5:12 PM PDT
In reply to: How long?

Thanks fr yr reply, infact i just did pressure clean, all vents, fan cooler, keyboards etc, lets see if it happens again, I also downloaded the mobile meter and speed fan to track HDD and CPU temprature, lets if this works. But thanks fr yr time to reply Bob
J

Collapse -
2 more items.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 29, 2010 12:31 AM PDT
In reply to: laptop screen fades

1. If the external cleaning only helps but does not cure it I read http://forums.cnet.com/5208-19681_102-0.html?messageID=3196452&tag=forums06;posts#3196452 as an example where we go deeper with cleaning heatsinks and even applying fresh heat sink compound.

2. In rarer cases the owners have installed non-factory OSes and drivers. We have to reload the machine to the factory load and re-test. If the owner wants to fiddle with drivers you have to let them do that and find a way or negotiate with them a hourly rate to see if other than stock OS and driver issues can be resolved. Sometimes you can't do that or they come back later announcing that driver version 3.214236 was the cure. Driver hunts and finding which of the many versions work is painfully expensive when done at a shop.

Bob

Collapse -
dell laptop screen fades
by Kelleymari / March 4, 2011 7:13 AM PST

I had the same exact problem:
* Screen works then after warming up fades from sides to center.
* When I move the screen, it corrects for 1 Sec then fades.
* Works OK when connected to a seperate monitor.

I read trough the listings below and went to the Dell Website and downloaded most of the posted downloads.
(Video, Chipset, Bios)
After re-booting it looked a bit odd, and suggested to adjust the screen automatically, I did and now it works perfectly. Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.