Dell forum

General discussion

My DELL INSPIRON 530 Desktop Computer Won't Turn ON ........

by eruptionjoojo / June 3, 2010 11:42 PM PDT

Hello Everyone,
I have a DELL INSPIRON 530 Desktop(around 3yrs. old) .......... motherboard - Foxconn G33M02 ...... it was working fine till yesterday but after having cleaned the system for dust and all ...... I again powered the system and it just woun't start i.e. even after pressing the power button(on the front side of the system), nothing happens i mean no fans moving,no light of any kind, no nothing. Although the Green LED under the power cable connector turns green (on the back side,Just below the power cable connector) after having attached the power cable to it. For having a look inside i opened the cabinet that found that the Orange LED is light up almost on the top right corner of the motherboard but nothing happens while i press the power button ..... and thus i'm fearing that the motherboard has gone out of order ...........
In order to troubleshoot the problem i jumped the Green and Black cable ports of the PSU and the fan starting moving ........ so, i'm supposing that the PSU is working fine ...

I'm also wanting to know how to check the motherboard and if so the individual capacitors and resistors on it ...........and if just in case i'm unable to resolve the issue what options do i have in terms of motherboard(which is similar in technical specifications to my original motherboard), as DELL is charging me a lot more than the price of a new Motherboard .............
so,kindly suggest me a new motherboard of similar capacity i.e. no of SATA ports,IDE ports,RAM slots etc.which i can buy from a local vendor ........

My current system configuration are as follows :-
Intel Pentium Dual Core E2160
Foxconn G33M02 Motherboard
300 Watts PSU/SMPS
Bluetooth module with 13 in 1 media card reader
IEEE firewire 1394
TV tuner card(internal)
Intel's Onboard LAN
Link to the Specification page :-

Any help in this regard would be greatly appreciated ............
thnxx in advance .............

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My DELL INSPIRON 530 Desktop Computer Won't Turn ON ........
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My DELL INSPIRON 530 Desktop Computer Won't Turn ON ........
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The problem with a new motherboard is the costs escalate.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 12:57 AM PDT

For example if you put a non-Dell board in, the OEM Windows license dies. So that's 100 or more bucks in the OS alone.

So let's try simple. The GREEN WIRE MacGyver test out of the way, try the same idea but find the PwrOn connection on the motherboard. Who's to say the power push button is good? And the other MacGyver move is to use the reset push button for the power button.

Collapse -
Where is the Power on button on the MB

thnxx a lot for your quick reply ..........
but where is the power ON connection button on the MB i'm just not able to figure out but still i would try again ........... n keep you updated ...........

Collapse -
Reset push button ........

n yeah what do you mean by this phrase of your's : -"reset push button for the power button" because as such there is no reset button in my system there is just one power button ..........

Collapse -
Why I wrote that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 4, 2010 5:32 AM PDT

MANY machines have a power button and a reset button. Both have a Single Pole Momentary Push button with the usual Normally Open configuration. As such I have cheated in the past by substitution of this for the other. Since you showed some acumen with your Green Wire test I hoped you would have the basics of electrical work under your belt.

OK, back to square one. Remember that if I have to explain what a push button normally open switch does, you must take this to the repair shop.

And about the documentation. Try this on google.

Remember this is all volunteer so you get to do the hunting.

Collapse -
Thnxx a lot ....... Computer started working as normal .....
by eruptionjoojo / June 4, 2010 6:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Why I wrote that.

Thnxxx a lot for your reply ..............
and yeah the good news is that my system has started working perfectly again .........
it all happened while i removed everything off my computer except the motherboard and processor and troubleshooted the Power ON/OFF switch ..... n there i was there was a loose/faulty connection at the terminal of the ON/OFF switch connection .........
So,while i pressed the port quiet hard and powered the ON/OFF switch, the computer started and there and then my problem got solved .......... although i had previously also reseated the On/OFF switch port earlier but i don't know still may be there was some error earlier ........
thnxxx again .............
n yeah the documentation of the motherboard is under the link provided by me in the very 1st post featuring specifications .....

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.