Phones

General discussion

My Daughter Can't Receive My Text Messages

by ozsmiffy / April 6, 2008 8:25 AM PDT

Here is the situation....

I live in the USA, and use a Kyocera WildCard (Mode/Bands: CDMA2000 1xdualband digital - 1900MHz)with the Virgin Mobile USA service provider.

My daughter lives in London, England, and uses a Samsung SGH-C300 (Bands: GSM900/GSM1800) with the Orange UK service provider.

My daughter can make phone calls and send text messages to my Wildcard without any problems. I can make phone calls to her Samsung C300 without any problems, however, I can't send her text messages - not one!

She can receive text messages sent from the USA using a T-Mobile Razr and a Cingular Blackberry, and she can receive local text UK messages.

Also, messages I send from my Virgin Mobile USA WildCard to an Orange Nokia cell phone located in London, UK are received just fine. So, I am confused and the hours I have spent trying to figure this one out is sooooo frustrating! Any ideas?

I am begining to think that it has something to do with my daughter's Samsung SGH-C300. Could the fact that her phone is GSM900/GSM1800 and my Kyocera Wildcard is CDMA2000 1xdual-band digital (1900 MHz, be the problem?

Or is there a setting on the Samsung SCH-C300 that needs to be changed.

Could someone please recommend a solution to my problem?

Many thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Daughter Can't Receive My Text Messages
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Daughter Can't Receive My Text Messages
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
It has to be something stupid like
by PudgyOne / April 6, 2008 10:33 AM PDT

checking the phone numbers and make sure that you have ALL the numbers there.

Make sure that the +44 20 is there for dialing outside the UK.

More here.

http://www.whywaitforever.com/london/phone.html

Sounds like you have to enter the +44(pause)20(pause)your daughters number.

Rick

Collapse -
It's just the text messages that aren't received
by ozsmiffy / April 6, 2008 3:19 PM PDT

Thanks for that information. I can make calls to her cell phone from mine, so I am using the correct numbers already, it is just the text messages that won't go through. Maybe it has something to do with her phone setup - I will have her check it out. Thanks again for the suggestion.

Collapse -
I will just say
by Jimmy Greystone / April 6, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

I will just say that the technical information you mentioned has absolutely NOTHING to do with the problem. That is merely how the phone communicates with the cell phone towers, it doesn't have much of anything to do with your ability to communicate with someone else.

Think of it like how it doesn't matter if someone calls you using a cordless or corded phone on a land line.

Aside from the suggestion about making sure you have the country code included in the number, I would say the issue is one that needs to be taken up with the service providers. Every once in awhile, a couple of companies will act like little kids on the playground. One will decide that they don't like how the other kid is playing, so are going to take their toys and go home.

Collapse -
No! Not the dreaded Service Providers!
by ozsmiffy / April 6, 2008 3:26 PM PDT
In reply to: I will just say

Well I thought it must have been something to do with that, because I can send text messages to another person in London who uses a Nokia phone with the Orange service provider, and they are received without any problem. She has already tried contacting Orange customer support, and they haven't been able to figure out what's going on, and nor has Virgin Mobile USA. I may just get her to go to her local Orange store and see if they can figure it out. Thanks for your advice though.

Collapse -
You an try
by PudgyOne / April 6, 2008 5:45 PM PDT

having her send an email to your email account from the phone that won't receive the messages. Copy the email address down. Enter the email address of her phone in your phone. Send her a message using her email address of her phone.

Rick

Collapse -
She Doesn't Have Email on her Phone
by ozsmiffy / April 7, 2008 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: You an try

Thanks for the advice, but my daughter doesn't have email access on her phone - it's a cheapy! We did some more investigating today, and I was able to text her friend, who also uses Orange, and the girl received the message. They then put my daughter's SIM in the phone and I sent her a text - she didn't receive it - however, she did receive two sent from my husbands' phone. I'm beginning to think that it could be either a problem with her SIM card; problem with an Orange setting; or whatever system deals with text messaging for Virgin Mobile, doesn't recognize my daughter's number for some reason. The prefix of the other two phone numbers I used were different to my daughters.

Do you or anyone know who handles Text Messages for Virgin Mobile USA? Is it still Cingular?

Collapse -
Vigin Mobile
by birdmantd Forum moderator / April 7, 2008 9:32 AM PDT

Virgin mobile either uses Sprint or Verizon but you need to speak w/ Virgin mobile to try to resolve the issue. There is nothing Verizon or Sprint can do in this case.

Collapse -
It's Sprint
by ozsmiffy / April 7, 2008 9:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Vigin Mobile

Yes, Virgin Mobile USA use the Sprint network - I will try VMUSA one more time, and my daughter will try Orange and we will see where we end up - probably switching providers - and putting it down to one of life's experiences!

Collapse -
What I was saying was
by PudgyOne / April 7, 2008 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: It's Sprint

Have your daughter add your email address to her address book.

Send a text message to your email address using the address book. I do it all the time. I send a text message to my email account to remind me to do things.

Next, Here's what I found out from Virgin Mobile's website.

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/rates/internationalCalling.do

http://www.virginmobileusa.com/stuff/messaging/internationalTexting.do

If you cannot find the answer there, the try calling Virgin Mobile.

Do you have it setup with Virgin Mobile so you can send International Text messages?

Does your daughter have it setup so she can receive International Text messages?

You said

We did some more investigating today, and I was able to text her friend, who also uses Orange, and the girl received the message. They then put my daughter's SIM in the phone and I sent her a text - she didn't receive it - however, she did receive two sent from my husbands' phone.

Try the girls sim card in your daughters phone and see if you can still send a text to her friend.

I thing you're going to have to contact Virgin Mobile. Yes, the use Sprints network but the are NOT owned by Sprint.

Good Luck,

Rick

Collapse -
PROBLEM SOLVED!
by ozsmiffy / April 11, 2008 3:58 AM PDT
In reply to: What I was saying was

Thank you everyone for your advice - the problem has now been solved!

After many fruitless phone calls to Virgin Mobile USA, and with my daughter getting nowhere with Orange, I gave up and had my daughter go into a Virgin Mobile store in London. Luckily she got a very helpful person, who figured out the problem - the 075 & 077 numbers being issued in London are NEW, Virgin Mobile USA's text messaging service can only send messages to OLD numbers 078, 079, etc. Obviously a database somewhere needs to be updated. Anyhow, my daughter has now switched to Virgin Mobile and we are happy campers!

Collapse -
Wow, Im glad that's over with.
by PudgyOne / April 11, 2008 4:52 AM PDT
In reply to: PROBLEM SOLVED!

You were starting to give me a headache trying to figure that one out.

I'm surprised that your daughter didn't add your email address as a contact, then send you a text message. You could have gotten her email address from that and then added her email address to your contacts. Then you should have been able to send a text message to the email address of her phone.

But I'm glad you got it straightened out. I had Virgin Mobile for a period of time and had little to no problems. Low signal inside my home. I switched to Cingular(now ATT) and have 4 phones that we share minutes. We recently added family text messaging for $30 a month and we can text and picture message(depending on the size, if the size is past a certain size, an additional fee is added for downloading.) We are happy using using ATT.

Rick

Collapse -
Happy for you, bad for me...
by bdmclaren / December 17, 2010 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: PROBLEM SOLVED!

Darn it, I was hoping your solution might have fixed my problem too. I think it's a Sprint system issue. I am NOT a Sprint user, but Sprint people who text my phone number either get an error message or don't get anything, but in either situation their text is never received by my phone. All carriers can RECEIVE txt messages from me, but Sprint people can't send them to me. Now the weird part... I got this phone number originally when I was with Sprint a dozen years ago. I've since changed carriers several times and with each different carrier, (T mobile, Cingular, AT&T, MetroPCS) the result is the same... people with a sprint phone can't seem to text message my phone number. I guess the Sprint computers have a bias against my phone number specifically... but I haven't heard of other people in my Texas area code don't seem to have this problem (my area code 817 - which was an original area code when they created area codes so it's not the same problem you had)
Since I'm not a Sprint customer, they say they can't help me. Any advice aside from getting a new phone number after having the same one for 15 years?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.