Storage

Question

my data D

by maximdelaet / July 21, 2013 6:20 AM PDT

my DATA D has 258GB ofcourse only 1GB from this is taken
while my OS C has only 186GB and its the storage from this OS C is taken
so my question is: is this a design fault? and how could i store all documents and programs on my DATA D?
i have an asus k55v series laptop with "500GB hard disc drive storage as the sticker says" as far as i can count is that also wrong and it has "4GB of random acces memory as that same sticker says" but if i check in cinfiguration --> system and security --> system i see 8GB of random acces memory and a intel core i5-3230m processor clocked on 2.6GHz so actually only the processor is the same as on the sticker :s
i have still warranty and the laptop runs on windows 8 in 64 bit
many thanks for your help

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my data D
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my data D
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
I fear that folk are dispensing PCs without support or
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 21, 2013 9:29 AM PDT
In reply to: my data D

Or much explanation. The newer owners are being tossed into the deep end and just like it has been for decades we save or install our apps on the drive of our choice.

There seems to be a thought among newer users this is a design flaw but let's say it is. Why not return it if the retailer and maker won't answer your questions?
Bob

Collapse -
store
by maximdelaet / July 21, 2013 7:24 PM PDT

i will bring it to the store where it came from for an explenation for the drive and the mistakes in the specs

Collapse -
I would not complain it has 8GB and the sticker said 4GB
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 22, 2013 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: store

Such can be changed and 8GB is a good upgrade.

There was a member that was upset the sticker didn't match and we never heard if they were able to get a new sticker.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Sounds to me like you'll be wasting your time.
by VAPCMD / July 22, 2013 11:00 AM PDT
In reply to: my data D

After formatting, your 500GB HDDs it turns into about 465GBs of usable disk space. You might want to check DISK MANAGEMENT to see how the total space is allocated. You've already accounted for 258GBs and 186GBs...that's 444GBs....is there more FREE SPACE or perhaps a hidden recovery partition somewhere? If yes....then you got what was advertised and maybe then some.

Recommend you verify the facts before losing more sleep or wasting more time.

VAPCMD

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.