Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My credit card was used fraudulently

by CesiaS / August 14, 2009 3:38 PM PDT

I was contacted by my bank few days ago, questioning my recent transactions. As it turned out my card was used fraudulently - transactions read "domain hosting" and "media hub" and such, charged in U$.

My bank accepts that this were fraudulent transactions.

The whole experience makes me wonder - this was a credit card used mainly for internet shopping, all secure sites, all reputable businesses. I assume that someone somewhere must have hacked into one of them?

My PC has all the updates,Win Vista SP2 Premium, Avira premium, online Armor (paid) ,Firefox 3.5.2, MailwasherPro, Eudora,SpywareBlaster, scan on demand with MBAM, SPI router

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My credit card was used fraudulently
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My credit card was used fraudulently
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
this happened to me also
by shylaugh / August 15, 2009 6:28 AM PDT

My bank called me but they never made it through to charging my account. Closed that account and got another credit card. From what they told me this is a big problem because there are crooks out there that sit all day long and just figure out account numbers. In my case they didn't have my name and for whatever reason it didn't go through. They called me because of a 1,900.00 charge and 1. charge on itunes. I take all the proper steps also so I don't know what else to do either. Sorry I couldn't give you an answer but to let you know you are not alone. sandra

Collapse -
(NT) Thanks Sandra
by CesiaS / August 15, 2009 6:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
Sad To Say, BUT THIS Is Now
by tobeach / August 15, 2009 6:25 PM PDT

a major problem!! Even IF, you & your bank, have your machines as secure as possible, there's no guarantee that sites, and/or their credit card handlers service (often 3rd party) are as tight as you are. More & more hitting these "men in the middle" pays of much better than individuals as they often "process" the CC info for 100's/1000's of businesses both online and on the retail street.

Here's a couple of recent (?) examples of many :

Luckily Banks know this and generally if your report "promptly" your discovery, you'll be indemnified beyond $50.

I am NOT so certain that the same rule applies to ATM Card #'s
(whether or not they're ALSO able to access your CCard).

Doesn't make the pain & ag much less when it happens to you. Myself, I, so far, have refused to any of my financial stuff online from my machine (Dinosaur) but even using ATM machines physically is little
better. Strangely ,I have recently considered getting a "Low Limit" card for online exclusively but keep chickening out!! Hmmm...
My sympathies to you & all!! Happy

Collapse -
Thanks for the links.
by CesiaS / August 15, 2009 6:51 PM PDT

Interesting info about what happened in UK, as I had few purchases from small businesses in UK

I have a low limit CC to use on line and almost monthly fend my bank's invitation to increase the limit.

As I do not use ATM with this card I'm left to ponder where the security breach occurred.

I wonder - is paying with PayPal if applicable , more secure?

Collapse -
by shylaugh / August 16, 2009 5:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the links.

I pay with paypal as much as possible. Not everyone takes paypal. I have tried Google but don't know how safe that is. The bank told me paypal is fine to use.

Collapse -
Happened twice this year for me
by barbmrow / August 21, 2009 11:50 AM PDT

Today's paper has another indictment for some freak who stole millions of credit card numbers from places like TJMax, Target.

Now I check my check my credit card daily.

Collapse -
My symphaties
by CesiaS / August 21, 2009 12:44 PM PDT

I started checking my CC daily too.

Collapse -
credit fraude
by klem39 / August 22, 2009 8:11 AM PDT

Have got myself a Debit Card now, after getting hit by the bank for going into arrears. ($1 for 2 days cost me $20)
This card needs money in it before it is acepted and is International so I'm told. No charge for first year??

Collapse -
I think any charges on a debit
by roddy32 / August 22, 2009 8:46 AM PDT
In reply to: credit fraude

card depend on where you get it from. Mine is a Visa check card which I got via my bank. There are NEVER any charges on it in MY case. I'm on my third year with it now and they sent the the renewal card which s good good another 2 years and there was no charge for that either. I check my balance online EVERY day just check and make sure noone has stolen the info which COULD happen just about anywhere if not careful including an ATM.

Collapse -
credite fraude
by Thoyboy / August 22, 2009 8:04 PM PDT
In reply to: credit fraude

I had a charge made by a Visa compnay for putting some money into a bookmakers account on line. When I complained about this it turned out that in the small print "definitions" they counted gambling sites as a cash withdrawal. There was no mention of gambling on the T & Cs ! I made a great fuss about this sneaky tactic and pointed out that neither they or other card companies had ever made such a charge b4. And Lo & behold after much toing and froing on line they rang me up and agreed to refund me the

Collapse -
Use gift cards instead
by Dango517 / August 22, 2009 1:18 PM PDT

These can be purchased at banks and most come with small fees. These are short term cards and can be used for planned purchases. Avoids nearly all these problems and when there is a problem if usually would be of a low $ value. The down side being you need to plan ahead when making purchases and pay the gift card fees.

Collapse -
(NT) this may be a way of the future?
by CesiaS / August 22, 2009 1:32 PM PDT
In reply to: Use gift cards instead
Collapse -
Credit card fraud
by Thoyboy / August 22, 2009 7:53 PM PDT

This happened to me with my Amex card in UK. No problems they spotted it right away and stopped the transaction...well done Amex.THey seemed to pickup onthe fact that sum1 was trying to use it at Carphone wharehouse, which I have never used. The man at their end told me that because some companies let you have endless tries ( !! ) people could just keep trying numbers until they got a hit !
While this is a mite worrying it hasnt occured b4 or since and after all it didnt cost me anything. I also had a fradulent use of another visa card last year. I queried this with the Card company and they gave me a refund with no problems. As both cards are always in my possession their suggestion was that sum1 at a telepphone purchase end had simply written down my card no, and code !

I now check my credit cards every few days on line :-))

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.