Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My Control panel is missing in Windows XP

by elicaul / August 23, 2007 7:00 AM PDT

Help! Please forgive me for I am a newbie! I have virus attacking my pc, making it so my control panel is no where to be found.. I've down loaded a number of anti virus software which is preventing me from getting and more, but isn't killing the pest that I already have. Any suggestions?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Control panel is missing in Windows XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Control panel is missing in Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
by tomron / August 23, 2007 7:57 AM PDT

See if this LINK helps.

Collapse -
missing control panel in windows xp
by elicaul / August 23, 2007 2:11 PM PDT
In reply to: elicaul

Thanks Tom! Not there either. Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
by tomron / August 23, 2007 2:34 PM PDT

Is control panel here.

Start button>run>type or paste explorer.exe

Expand my computer,do you see the control panel there?

Try scanning with your AV and AVG ANTI SPYWARE in SAFE MODE.

Did you try system restore?

Collapse -
missing control panal in XP
by elicaul / August 24, 2007 5:59 AM PDT

Hi Tom,

Not in explorer.exe, although I did find in my safe mode, but when I went back to safemode a second time it was gone. I'm assuming this is probably due to a virus, right? Also, if I do system restore will I "uninstall" all the virus software I down loaded? And or loose all of my pictures I have saved to my computer. Thanks for the much needed advice. Also, I don't know how to find the "pests" and delete them! I keep getting a windows security warning of a potential spyware operation, and that I need to download anti spyware software. Which of course I have done several times over!

Collapse -
by tomron / August 24, 2007 6:31 AM PDT
"keep getting a windows security warning of a potential spyware operation'

Try this program listed in the sticky post,HERE

"if I do system restore will I "uninstall" all the virus software I down loaded? And or loose all of my pictures"

No,check this link,Will I Lose Personal Files?

You might consider using HJT,since cnet doesn't analyze logs tryh this LINK.This way they can see the whole picture when looking at the log.

NOTE:it takes time sometimes at those forums so patience is needed.

Collapse -
missing control panel in XP
by elicaul / August 24, 2007 6:49 AM PDT

Thanks, Also why does AVG anti-spyware recommend that I ignore detected malware rather then the option for "clean & move to quarantine"?
PS: Sorry for all the "stupid" questions. I'm afraid I may have to pack up the tower and take it to the pro's. Thanks for your help! I'm going to try to stick it out a little longer.

Collapse -
by tomron / August 24, 2007 6:55 AM PDT

You're not asking "stupid questions",you're just asking questions which is fine.

I suggest trying one of the hjt forums cause they may find the issue.

Collapse -
by elicaul / August 24, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

Ok. I will, Thank You very much!

Collapse -
(NT) Your welcone,thanx for posting back
by tomron / August 24, 2007 7:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
by freestyl / August 27, 2007 4:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
by WAArnold / August 27, 2007 2:00 AM PDT

Your AVG Antispyware has an option that you must change/set that allows you to instruct the program what you wish it to do. Under your scan screen you will see a tab that contains your options. Select the option you want to use.

Your AVG Antivirus should be able to clean you virus infection also.

Collapse -
by tomron / August 23, 2007 2:46 PM PDT

There are some good tips HERE

Such as,administrative,Start>Run, type in "appwiz.cpl.etc.

Collapse -
by wfelter2000 / August 27, 2007 9:28 AM PDT

It sounds like you have a Trojan horse-Zylob I think it's called. I had it a few weeks ago.The security message your getting is part of this and the security program it wants you to download is also a fraud. I went to their site to complain but when I tried their help links or any other link they where dead. You can find help at http://www.geekstogo.com/ They do a fantastic job helping people like us. Might take a few days but they will come thru for you. Just reading others with the same or similar problems I was able to fix mine. Good luck!

Collapse -
by elicaul / August 28, 2007 3:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Zylob

Thanks every one for wonderful advice! I will try every and all suggestions I get until I fix this! I've burned all my pics and important documents to disk, so now the war is on! I have figured out I have plenty of virus, 7 at least. I know one or all or some is attacking my bios, I don't have my control panel, so now I don't have admin. access to my computer. there for I can't do a system clean, and my computer won't do a system restore, I'm going to fight this for a while, while giving my self a crash lesson on computers. Then I supposed if I loose the fight I'll have to wipe the hard drive clean and start again.! Right? Thanks again to all welcome suggestions! Signed the newbie!

Collapse -
My Control Panel is invisible
by waqastanoli84 / May 15, 2008 3:35 PM PDT

Dear friends,

Just stop trying everything, I just found the solution to this. My control panel was also blocked. I downloaded Adaware by Lavasoft (You can download it from "http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2007/3000-8022_4-10045910.html?tag=lst-1&cdlPid=10837062" and its latest definitions from "http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-SE-Definition-File/3000-8022_4-10237235.html?tag=lst-2&cdlPid=10842156" Install Adaware and extract your downloaded definitions to c:\Program Files\Lavasoft\Adaware and replace your def.ref with the new one. Run Adaware and start Full or smart scan, it will find all the dirt in your computer and will throw it out. Right after that restart your computer and all your applications would be running smoothly. Control panel will become visible again and Add/Remove programs as well.

Hope this post will be helpful to you guys..

Best Regards,
Waqas A Tanoli
+92 300 811 77 00
+92 321 811 77 00

Collapse -
Thank You for Posting
by Bugbatter / May 15, 2008 9:57 PM PDT

Thank you for the suggestion. That does not work for everyone, but I'm glad it worked for you.

Collapse -
My Control panel is missing in Windows XP
by squeeze / August 24, 2007 3:10 PM PDT

To scan for any spyware/malware/virus go to:

Do a complete scan and then delete any issues.
The scan may take awhile so be patient.
Use the search feature on "Start" look for it there.
Hope this helps

Collapse -
getting rid of virus/trojans/malware
by rranaker1 / August 28, 2007 5:35 AM PDT

This is a program I have used to get rid of some stuf nothing else seems to touch.
Go to http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/trojan.html
Download the "emergency copy of SAV32CLI" and then follow the rest of the directions.
I downloaded and burned to a cd
Hope this will clean your system

Collapse -
My Control Panel is Missing in Windows XP - The Solution
by theanswer2 / November 28, 2007 2:00 AM PST

How I fixed the Missing Control Panel after a virus attacked my computer.

You need to remove is a backdoor application can allow attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. I highly recommend that from a clean, uninfected system you immediately change all the passwords on any systems you access from this system. If you do any on-line banking, or store any financial information on this system, you should immediately call your financial institution and advise them of the situation so you can secure your accounts.

Clean your Cache and Cookies in IE:
? Close all instances of Outlook Express and Internet Explorer
? Go to Control Panel > Internet Options > General tab
? Click the "Delete Cookies" button
? Next to it, Click the "Delete Files" button
? When prompted, place a check in: "Delete all offline content", click OK
Clean your Cache and Cookies in Firefox (In case you also have Firefox installed):
? Go to Tools > Options.
? Click Privacy in the menu on the left side of the Options window.
? Click the Clear button located to the right of each option (History, Cookies, Cache).
? Click OK to close the Options window
Alternatively, you can clear all information stored while browsing by clicking Clear All.
A confirmation dialog box will be shown before clearing the information.
Clean other Temporary files + Recycle bin
? Go to start > run and type: cleanmgr and click ok.
? Let it scan your system for files to remove.
? Make sure Temporary Files, Temporary Internet Files, and Recycle Bin are the only things checked.
? Press OK to remove them.
Download SDFix and save it to your Desktop.

Double click SDFix.exe and it will extract the files to %systemdrive%
(Drive that contains the Windows Directory, typically C:\SDFix)

Please then reboot your computer in Safe Mode by doing the following :
? Restart your computer
? After hearing your computer beep once during startup, but before the Windows icon appears, tap the F8 key continually;
? Instead of Windows loading as normal, the Advanced Options Menu should appear;
? Select the first option, to run Windows in Safe Mode, then press Enter.
? Choose your usual account.
? Open the extracted SDFix folder and double click RunThis.bat to start the script.
? Type Y to begin the cleanup process.
? It will remove any Trojan Services and Registry Entries that it finds then prompt you to press any key to Reboot.
? Press any Key and it will restart the PC.
? When the PC restarts the Fixtool will run again and complete the removal process then display Finished, press any key to end the script and load your desktop icons.

Restart Computer Still in SAFE MODE Your control Panel should now be there.
Start >Control Panel > Add and Remove Programs> Remove Authentium Web Installer.

Collapse -
by jennifer68503 / January 12, 2008 12:20 AM PST

I did step by step of all your "recipe" and it fixed everything!
I had 7 virus and Trojans and Spy with the NORTON2007 on!
My CONTROL PANEL disappear and SHELL.DLL was not found....
I set from 07:00 in the morning untill 21:00 pm and eventually
I found you "recipe" ! it is all ok now!

Collapse -
(NT) Congratulations on a Job Well Done!! :D
by tobeach / January 12, 2008 2:08 PM PST
Collapse -
Authentium Web Installer
by mfagan52 / January 22, 2008 7:02 AM PST

This worked great, except for the last step. There was no Authentium Web Installer to remove.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.