Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

my computer wont let me save my pictures under .jpeg

by ratrodryan / January 31, 2005 9:00 AM PST

my computer wont let me save my pictures under .jpeg. it will only let me save them as ART or bitmap. i use Irfanview to view my pictures and now i cant because of this stupid problem. i have done a system restore and it did nothing, i tried to uninstall irfanview then reinstall it an it did the same thing again, PLEASE HELP!!!!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my computer wont let me save my pictures under .jpeg
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my computer wont let me save my pictures under .jpeg
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1. Turn off AOL bitmap compression.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 31, 2005 11:00 AM PST

2. Empty the Temp Internet Cache.
3. Stop using Internet Explorer. Try FIREFOX!

Collapse -
jpeg
by andrewg289324 / February 1, 2005 2:39 AM PST

Hi...I don't know what it would do that. Try using the .jpg extension instead of .jpeg and see if it works.

Collapse -
i can only save as ART and bitmap
by ratrodryan / February 1, 2005 8:22 AM PST
In reply to: jpeg

i can only save as ART and bitmap, not .jpg or JPEG

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Yup. You have AOL's compression turned on.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 1, 2005 8:53 AM PST
Collapse -
saving photos in jpeg
by jerrytossy / December 12, 2005 11:30 AM PST

How to save photos in jpeg

Collapse -
Why do you ask?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2005 8:30 PM PST
In reply to: saving photos in jpeg

The answer in this discussion is noted.

If it didn't apply, you didn't tell.

Collapse -
Are you asking?
by ChuckT / December 13, 2005 4:15 AM PST
In reply to: saving photos in jpeg

Without punctuation, I am not sure if you are asking, or were about to detail how to save in jpeg (or jpg, which is the same thing, just different abbreviations).

If you are asking...
the answer depends upon what you are using as a graphics viewer/editor/tool.

If you are detailing...
you are missing the detail, or the link.

Since you were not the originator of this thread, and if you have a problem, it would be better for you to start your own thread, and ask the question. That way your answer will not be buried in someone elses' issue.

Collapse -
For Kevin and Chuck...
by John.Wilkinson / December 26, 2005 9:21 AM PST
In reply to: Are you asking?

Please remember that these forums are to be a friendly community, and that all comments should be kept in line. Kevin, while you did indirectly appologize to Chuck for your initial comment, in a reply to Ed, you then submitted a reply to Chuck fifteen minutes later with another insult. I hate to come down on regular/senior members, but that's not acceptable and you know better. I trust you two will make ammends on your own later, yes?

John

Collapse -
EdH, ChuckT, our posts were taken off the Graphics Forum
by taboma / December 28, 2005 2:34 PM PST
In reply to: For Kevin and Chuck...

EdH, thanks for your help with that problem I had getting the threads mixed up. I was watching Monday Night Football and trying to post at half-time and in-between commercials and also time-outs.
I really screwed up and I thought that ChuckT was telling Bob Proffitt to post his own message. I thought that was an insult to Bob Proffitt.
I had posted back to you with what I thought was correct: I hope that no one's feathers are ruffled. Sorry, Chuck, for my foul up!
Is that a groan I hear out there?
I do not have a problem fouling things up!

EdH, too bad for our posts to each other and your post back to ChuckT explaining what you thought had happened, were tossed.
Your guess was correct. (We all know it, plus Chuck and I know it.)
and that is all that is important!!!

The New England Patriots beat the New York Jets that Monday night by 31 to 21. Chuck, I hope you are not a Jet's fan.

ChuckT and all, have a great New Years,

-Kevin Smith

Collapse -
Saving Under JPEG and other files
by taboma / December 28, 2005 3:23 PM PST

ratrodryan, recently Grim had a post about Infranview and had success saving the files and posted on this issue.
Here are more. Just go to SEARCH, type in Infranview and spend a day reading about it
Here are posts that I had just picked up and copied for you ratrodryan:

Converting bitmap images to j.peg
There's an exellent little photo program out there (free) called ''Infranview''. It will convert any format to any other format. Go to: www.infranview.com. It's all there for you for free...Regards: dejc/aadservices..
Posted by: dejc (see profile) - 12/17/2005 8:18 AM
In reply to: converting bitmap images to j.peg by colinl8

JPEG2000 Is Slowish...
UPDATE2:<br>I've been getting all my JPEG images transferred to the JPEG2000 format but saving in this mode compared to other well developed formats is a lot slower. You have to wait about 3-5 second ...
Posted in: Digital cameras

Re: Here's an "issue".
Perhaps I should have told you I'm using Windows ME.
I tried infranview and nothing showed up. I had forgotten about that program. I don't see how files that were once on the cd are no longer there. As I said, all others that were not organized into folders show up. Most are jpegs and gifs.
Posted by: Diamondique (see profile) - 09/25/2004 7:01 PM
In reply to: Here's an "issue". by R. Proffitt

Not Free but Less Expensive
I have not come across a free photo editing program however there is one called Photo Pos Pro Image Editor that claims to be as good as photoshop at a lesser price tag of about $40.00. You can check it out at www.photopos.com. I will post again if I come across a free program.
Posted by: Cobramania (see profile) - 07/31/2005 5:52 PM
In reply to: is there a free software for pic editing as good as photoshop by mjdatechboi
converting bitmap images to j.peg
There's an exellent little photo program out there (free) called ''Infranview''. It will convert any format to any other format. Go to: www.infranview.com. It's all there for you for free...Regards: dejc/aadservices...
Posted by: dejc (see profile) - 12/17/2005 8:18 AM
In reply to: converting bitmap images to j.peg by colinl8

I think that will give you the idea for Infranview and hundreds of other posts on the subject.

-Kevin

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.