Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Computer Wont Let Me Open Anything! Help !!

by MikeE111690 / October 19, 2007 8:15 AM PDT

When I try to open I.E. , iTunes or even User Acounts My Computer says ": WINDOWS CANNOT ACESS THE SPECIFIED DEVICE, PATH OR FILE YOU MAY NOT HAVE THE APPROPRIATE PERMISSOINS TO ACSESS THE ITEM. help please

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer Wont Let Me Open Anything! Help !!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer Wont Let Me Open Anything! Help !!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since you didnt' tell us anything. . .
by Coryphaeus / October 19, 2007 9:23 AM PDT

about your system, try System Restore.

Collapse -
How long?
by BrianZachary / October 19, 2007 4:56 PM PDT

More info about your computer would be nice to better help you.

How long has this been happening? Did you download or install any programs before this started? Please provide the situation in detail how this came to be and what you have done to try to fix it. Also, read the red text at the top of the page where you post. Thanks.

Collapse -
More Info
by MikeE111690 / October 20, 2007 7:52 AM PDT

I have an HP pavillion mx 75 running on XP. i dont remeber downloading anythig that could cause this.

The only way i can open programs is by right clicking choosing Run As and another window pops up and says " Which User acct do you want to run the program? then asks me for my password in order to open the program" do you know what can cause this besides downloadsl.
thanx

Collapse -
System Restore?
by BrianZachary / October 20, 2007 9:48 AM PDT
In reply to: More Info

Have you tried doing a system restore like was already suggested? You still didn't say how long this has been going on.

Collapse -
P2P network installed? Using IE to surf the Internet?
by billzhills / October 21, 2007 12:01 AM PDT

Your errors indicate a compromised system, basically it has been taken over.
Especially if you have been surfing the Internet w/IE and a P2P network installed.

If you can access Safe Mode Save your data and scan your system for pests.
Be totally prepared to perform a re-install of Windows.

And before the boiling oil is thrown ....

Over 80% of the compromised/infected systems I see the user is surfing the
Internet with IE or has a P2P network installed or both.

Bill

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.