Computer Help

Question

My computer won't run .exe files in normal mode?

by Cyber_Punk / February 27, 2013 7:53 AM PST

As already stated it will not run .exe files in normal mode, but works perfectly fine in safe mode. I have used two programs, McAfee and Malwarebytes, but no viruses were found. I was suggested Kasperskys but I cannot install this in safe mode.

Also, anything that I do manage to successfully open in normal mode either freezes or stops responding for long periods of time.

Additional information if necessary:

Manufacturer: Toshiba
Model: Satellite C655D
System type: 64-bit operating system
196 GB free out of 284

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer won't run .exe files in normal mode?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer won't run .exe files in normal mode?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try this
by wpgwpg / February 27, 2013 8:30 AM PST

Obviously something's getting started in normal mode that's not in Safe Mode, so here's what I'd do. Hold down the Windows key and press R. Then type in MSCONFIG and hit enter. Click the Startup tab. There you'll see a list of tasks that're being started automatically when you boot up in normal mode. You can uncheck anything there except your antivirus program, so do that then reboot. If that fixes the problem, you can start adding things back 2 or 3 at a time until you find the culprit.

If that doesn't resolve the problem, you can check for corrupted system files. Open an administrator command prompt and run SFC if the above doesn't help. Click START, then type CMD in the search box, right-click CMD.EXE and click Run as administrator. Then from the command prompt type sfc /scannow.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Neither worked
by Cyber_Punk / February 27, 2013 11:54 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thank you for the suggestions, but they both weren't successful in fixing the issue.

Collapse -
Issues
by pgc3 / February 27, 2013 10:28 PM PST
In reply to: Neither worked

When you did the Malwarebytes scan did you do it in Safe Mode With Networking not just Safe Mode? If not, try that.

Collapse -
Re: neither worked
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: Neither worked

Then you're nearing the moment that you decide to go back to factory conditions via the recovery partition or the recovery disks you made.

Did you already try to go back to earliest system restore point available? What happened?

Kees

Collapse -
Recovery
by pgc3 / February 27, 2013 11:11 PM PST
In reply to: Re: neither worked

Yeah Kees I am with you but from the sound of it I'd guess he didn't create the recovery disks from the OS, which is what needs to be done with new systems these days. This could be a shop job unless he can come up with the OEM disks from the mfgr. If it is not a corruption, bug(s), etc. my guess is that someone may have inadvertently deleted some executables germane to system functionality, I'm still thinking some kind of a bug.

Collapse -
(NT) sfc /scannow then?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 27, 2013 11:18 PM PST
In reply to: Recovery
Collapse -
Scannow
by pgc3 / February 28, 2013 8:21 AM PST
In reply to: sfc /scannow then?

Worth a shot, nothing to lose at this point, good thought.

Collapse -
Factory
by Cyber_Punk / March 3, 2013 8:07 AM PST
In reply to: Re: neither worked

System restore never solved any problems so I plan on going back to factory default soon. Thank you.

Collapse -
Without any background information..
by Carol~ Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 3:38 AM PST
In reply to: Factory

Without any background information or history, I'd be curious to know if you ever tried a File Association Fix. I don't know if it will work in your case. Especially so, since they work in safe mode. You have nothing to lose by trying.

I'm also curious as to why Kaspersky was suggested. And by Kaspersky do you mean their TDSSKiller? If so, are you experiencing issues you haven't included in your post?

You say you ran a scan with McAfee and Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware. But did you use the Rkill Tool before scanning with MBAM? Rkill's purpose is to terminate offending / malicious processes. See "RKill - What it does and What it Doesn't - A brief introduction to the program "

Best of luck with whatever you should decide ..
Carol

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.