Computer Help forum

My computer will connect to modem but not router, help?

by The_Barron / July 13, 2012 3:26 PM PDT

My computer will not connect to the router but connects to the modem when plugged in directly. When plugged in directly, the computer will say "limited or no connection" for a good 20 minutes until after doing the "trouble shoot" for a couple of tries it works, even though i get around 15mbs. Ive tried power cycling both router and modem to no avail. Also my xbox rejects the internet from the modem or router completely.

First time I've ever tried cable internet and i already hate it -_- used to have DSL and that worked like a charm.

Anyways any additions information i will be glad to provide, thank you in advance for the help. Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer will connect to modem but not router, help?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer will connect to modem but not router, help?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Can't offer much given the slim details.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 1:10 AM PDT

Without the model numbers I can't check into some issues. But when you swap the computer and router you must power cycle the modem in every system I've seen since the cable modem locks onto your computer MAC address. Widely discussed so I'll stop on that point now.

There could be a router in the cable modem but since there is no make/model I can't check into that.

Collapse -
As said, i can provide whatever information needed:)
by The_Barron / July 14, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

Modem: CISCOPC3010
Router: Wireless-G Broadband Router WRT54G2 V1

Collapse -
So this modem has a router in it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 5:45 AM PDT
Collapse -
sorry for not clarifying to much.
by The_Barron / July 14, 2012 5:56 AM PDT

The modem only has one Ethernet port. Thats not going to work for me. I want a wireless set up and multiple Ethernet ports.

What i decided to do was hook up the modem via ethernet cable to a router that has WiFi capability and 4 ethernet ports.

What the problem is when both the modem and router are connected i dont get any internet connection, which is weird being that i get internet connection when directly connected from modem to computer, so why wouldnt it work if it was from modem, to router, to computer? And then how would i make this work?

Collapse -
YOU have to decide how you want it setup.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 7:51 AM PDT

I can not guess if you want to use the router in the modem or the router in your WiFi router. YOU have to choose that.

Since I shared how to find out how to use a router as a WAP, that's one of the common solutions. I can't tell why you think using the WiFi router as a WAP is not a solution. It's one I use a lot.

Collapse -
Thats the problem, i do use it and it does not work :\
by The_Barron / July 14, 2012 8:24 AM PDT

i use the router in the modem and it doesnt work, doesnt want to connect to the internet Sad that is how i want to use it but right now it seems the only way im granted internet is through a dirrect connection from pc to modem and thats not very practical for what i want.

Collapse -
Sorry I think I didn't explain this well enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 8:36 AM PDT

If you want to use your WiFi router you have to decide which router is going to do the routing work. I can not decide if you want to use the WiFi router as a WAP (this is what I use) or if you want to configure the cable modem into some bridge mode.

Yes, you get to learn more than you bargained for.

Collapse -
oh i see, thank you!
by The_Barron / July 14, 2012 8:43 AM PDT

Thing is my wifi router is also going to do the routing. It has wifi capability and the ports to route. I probably want to use it as a WAP since im guessing thats more practical.

Collapse -
Sorry but that confuses me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2012 9:24 AM PDT
In reply to: oh i see, thank you!

II I use the WiFi router as a WAP, it's a WAP and the router in the cable modem does the rest.

But that's a really good solution but I see that this might be your first time setting this up. Be sure to google "How to use a router as a WAP" and pick the article you like. If you have a question about a step, tell the forum which article and what step you have a problem with. I can't write tutorials here but will try to get what's stuck unstuck.

Collapse -
After reading all of these posts, why not try this
by Steven Haninger / July 15, 2012 2:40 AM PDT

First, make sure that you do not connect the modem/wireless router to your other router's WAN port. You will want to use one of the switch or LAN ports. This means you'll have one less port for other devices. You will also want to enter this second router's web interface and disable DHCP. You will also want only one wireless radio to be broadcasting so turn off the one you don't need unless the second router's radio is to broadcast in some remote part of the house.

This should get you started. There could be a small possibility that your modem/router and second router don't offer "auto-sensing" as far as which are the transmit and receive wires. In this case, you use a crossover cable. If this still doesn't work for you, you can buy a small Ethernet switch that can be connected to your modem/router. They come with varying port numbers but usually something like 4, 8, 12, 16, 24, etc. Buy one that allow for future expansion.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.