Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

"My Computer" Very Slow Loading

by ebony / April 16, 2005 6:21 AM PDT

When I left click on "My Computer" it takes 2-3 minutes for the drives to show.The little flashlight just keeps searching. I defraged the drive, did a virus check and a spyware check.I did a system restore to a time when it loaded almost instantly but nothing seems to correct the problem. Any ideas? I have Windows XP Home installed.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: "My Computer" Very Slow Loading
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: "My Computer" Very Slow Loading
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Running Processes
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 16, 2005 9:13 PM PDT

Hi Ebony,

Start checking for running Processes, (Right click the Taskbar, select Task Manager, then click the Processes tab.

Don't worry if there's a long list of processes there, Windows XP uses a lot in the background. But see if any are using a lot of memory. Whilst you're there, check the Performance tab, see what CPU performance is like.

For Processes, goto this site;
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

and do a systematic check of the processes, see if you have any viruses, etc. Or see if there are any that you can disable.

Also, check your MSCONFIG for what programs load up at startup, eg, goto Start > Run, type in "msconfig", (without the quotes), and check the Startup tab. See if there are any programs there that are taking up RAM on Startup and which you do not need until you load them yourself.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
thanks
by els8910 / May 2, 2005 6:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Running Processes

the address for process identification was extreemly helpful to me , thanks

Collapse -
MULTIPLE LISTING
by els8910 / May 2, 2005 9:20 AM PDT
In reply to: Running Processes

AFTER READING YOUR MSG TO EBONY I LOOKED AT MY TASK MANAGER AND WENT TO THE WEBSITE YOU SUGGESTED TO IDENTIFY THE PROGRAMS RUNNING. I NOTICED I HAVE SOME THAT ARE SHOWN SEVERAL TIMES ONE "SVCHOST" SHOWS UP 5 TIMES ON MY PROCESS LIST. IS IT NORMAL TO HAVE THE SAME PROCESS LISTED MORE THEN ONCE? THANKS, EARL

Collapse -
svchost
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 2, 2005 7:32 PM PDT
In reply to: MULTIPLE LISTING

Hi els.

Yes it is normal for svchost to appear more than once. If you look at the entries in the "answersthatwork" web site I gave under svchost you will see it explained why this may be so,

However, some viruses do masquerade as svchost. If the svchost that you have running are not in the Windows/System32 folder, then it is possible you have a virus. But with a good and uptodate antivirus program this is not likely.

Mark

Collapse -
regedit
by els8910 / May 3, 2005 12:50 AM PDT
In reply to: svchost

thanks Mark, based on the advise I have received on the chat I purchased and am usunf the ultimate trouble shooter and am learning a lot. with regard to "svchost" I found in my registry this listed twice, one was "svchost" and the other "svch0st" the O or 0 being the differance. do you know anything about this? els

Collapse -
Not good news
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 3, 2005 8:36 AM PDT
In reply to: regedit

Sorry Earl, but if that's right, it is not good news.

That site "answersthatwork" suggests the following about svch0st;

Note : the letter between the ?h? and the ?s? in the name of the file is a zero, not the letter ?o?.

You have one of the Backdoor.Graybird viruses, or the W32.Mydoom.Bi@mm virus, or one of the many other viruses which run as this filename.

If you want to confirm what I say, go back to
http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm
and click the "S" at the top, and scroll down to Svchost.

But don't panic yet, it can be easily removed with an uptodate Anti-Virus, (AV), program. You haven't said what AV you use, so if you haven't got any, I suggest you get some now. There are many good free ones about, and the one I use is AVG 7 from
http://www.grisoft.com

If you want to download AVG 7 goto that site and find the free version, download and install it. Then, when it is installed, open the program, and check for updates immediately. Only after the program and virus definitions are update should you perform a full system scan.

Before you do all that, hop along to this Norton's anti-virus web site, at;
http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.mydoom.bi@mm.html

which has more details about this MyDoom virus.

If you already have Norton's AV, make sure it's virus definitions are uptodate, then do a full system scan, but follow their instructions down the page on their web site. If you "do not" have Norton's, do an online scan first. Listed below are 3 sites for online scans. The first two are at TrendMicro and which one you choose depends whether you have java on your computer. if you're not sure, try them both. Make sure you set the scan to "fix all problems".

Housecall (using IE with Active-X)
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

Housecall (all browsers using java)
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

or you can try;
PandaActivescan
http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm

(Thanks to Roddy32 for these links).

Then, (ie after you have done all that), go get the AVG anti-virus program.

I suspect you may need other protection as well, eg a firewall, and anti-spyware and anti-adware programs, and the Virus & Security forum is the best place to seek help for which is best for you. The link is on the left.

LIke I said, don't panic, this virus isn't the nastiest kind and can be removed.

Good luck, and post back with how you get on.

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks for your rersponse
by els8910 / May 3, 2005 11:29 PM PDT
In reply to: Not good news

I read up on this at "tut" actually I have Mcafee and I stay current. oddly when I went to "regedit" yesterday I saw a page with a vertical listing 1,2,3 etc and there was the (2) listings I mentioned (svchost and svch0st). went back today and can't find that page. I continue to get error msg at startup "generac host system 32 failure " and I think it is related. anyway I now need to learn haw to edit the registry. I appreciate your response and your help. els

Collapse -
I have misunderstood
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 4, 2005 12:26 AM PDT

I think I misunderstood your post where you first mentioned svch0st.

Re-reading it, I see you mention you found this in Regedit. But the answersthatwork site isn't primarily concerned with registry entries, (ie those that are displayed when you open regedit). The answersthatwork web site lists processes that may be running in the background, as shown in the Task Manager under the Processes tab.

There could be a link between the two, ie anything that shows up in the Processes tab will probably have an entry in the Registry file, but it doesn't always work the other way round. The Registry is full of redundant entries, things that are no longer on your computer and were not removed properly either by uninstall the program, or any other means. And so if you have found an entry in your Registry for svch0st, it doesn't necessarily mean you have the MyDoom virus or variant. It may mean you had it before, (and it's been cleaned by your AV), or it may even be a protective entry put there by your AV to stop MyDoom from getting a hold.

Only if you still have svch0st in the Processes tab of the Task Manager would it suggest you have the MyDoom worm.

You have mentioned the error message you get at startup. Is there anything else you can tell us?

Mark

Collapse -
better now
by els8910 / May 5, 2005 5:08 AM PDT
In reply to: I have misunderstood

I don't find svch0st anywhere other then in the registry, I gather from your response that if my mcafee had detected and eliminated the virus there is a possibility that the reference may remain in the registry without a problem. I have made the changes TUT recommended and my system seems to be working OK now, regards, els

Collapse -
Yes that's good news
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 7:38 PM PDT
In reply to: better now

Good. That entry in the registry sounds like it is just an orphan entry, (the registry has many orphans, Happy )

For the virus/worm to be active on your computer svch0st would have to be showing in your Task Manager.

If you wanted your Registry Cleaner to delete that entry you can do that. Most Registry Cleaners have a similar system to quarantine, or to backup a registry before making any deletions. You could do that if you liked, then if there were any problems, just restore it, but I don't think there will be.

So, you can relax now els.

Mark

Collapse -
"A Peep Through The Keyhole"
by nworley / April 16, 2005 9:26 PM PDT

Dump the files in the prefetch folder at c:\windows\prefetch\
See article at: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,1683520,00.asp
This prefetch may hold references to old files that are not there any longer.
Also:
Had a couple of machines in the past month that had a problem slowing down. The cure surfaced after a couple of hours checking the software drivers and I shifted to the hardware. Booting the machines with just the memory, hard drive and video sped things up. One machine turned out to be the failure of the CD burner to register properly while booting and it seemed to seize the machine from time to time while I was using Explorer, or My computer. The cure for that machine was to redo the firmware BIOS of the CD/DVD. The second machine cured itself when I left the CD/DVD off of the chain and rebooted several times without it and then put the CD/DVD back on the chain and allowed it to find itself again. I suspect that the second machines CD/DVD will fail again. I have a third machine with something similar, a CD that fails to register from time to time and I have recommended that the owner just replace the CD or go to a more recent CD/DVD as there is not a BIOS for that older CD. I have fixed countless other machines that slowed down due to failure of hardware. Slow down can be caused by hardware failure or software failure.

Collapse -
Safe Mode
by ebony / April 17, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

In Safe Mode "My Computer" loads instantly. What was missing are my two CD drives ans two removable drives. The problem is I only have one removable drive.I don't know why the other is showing up.hen I left click on it I'm told to insert a disc. How would I find what this other drive is. I unplugged all my USb devices but that one drive continues to show up.

Collapse -
Check for possible hardware failure or Safe Mode w/Networkig
by PCLanLord / April 17, 2005 4:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

Startup Windows in Safe Mode With Networking (This will allow the CD/DVD drives to be detected as they are considered a 'networked' device to Windows. See if going into My Computer is faster or the same. If faster and all drives show up, then there is sypware/adware/viruses or too many programs and/or services loading up at startup. Go back to the post on MSCONFIG and deselect one program at a time, or all of them, and see what happens.

If that doesn't help, then you could be having hardware problems with one of your hard drive(s) and/or CD/DVD Drives or external drives. I've also had this similar problem with having a bad IDE cable... Try a new IDE cable... It can happen.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Safemode

I have had a sim. probl. (Remove. Drive listed and not found)
In my case I tracked it to my printer Picture load drive
This listed as the first Drive on my list of 4 Drives
I disabled the Dr. and it stoped showing up
Another possibility si if you have split your Hard Drive
They will show up as two Drives
Good luck in your surch

Collapse -
USB Scanner
by ebony / April 23, 2005 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Safe Mode

The problem was my USB scanner. When I unplugged the scanner "My Computer" loaded instantly. I have no idea why this happened. Thanks for the input. By the way, the scanner is a ScanMaker 4800.

Collapse -
Is this a new scanner?
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / April 23, 2005 6:47 AM PDT
In reply to: USB Scanner

If so, I am given to understand that, before installing any new USB devices, the software for the device should be installed first.

Perhaps if you disconnect the scanner from the USB port, uninstall the scanner software, reboot the PC, re-install the scanner software and then re-connect the scanner, you may solve the problem.

Good luck.

Mark

Collapse -
Existing Scanner
by ebony / April 24, 2005 10:03 PM PDT
In reply to: Is this a new scanner?

The scanner has been installed for two years. I will try to uninstall and reinstall the scanner but sometimes my computer has a hard time finding the scanner so I usually leave it alone once the scanner is detected.

Collapse -
XP2 "system" at 90+ utilization
by Lone_Bull / April 25, 2005 4:32 AM PDT

We are having problems with SP2 machines running very slowly, if at all. When we can get to the Task Manager under "Processes" the "System" item, not "System Idle process" is running at 90+ utilization. This problem started last Friday. All the SP1 machines are running fine.

Collapse -
how do I know which programs are associated with
by els8910 / May 2, 2005 1:33 AM PDT

This q&a is very helpful for me , my computer is slow and I am trying some of the suggestions listed however when I look at a procees or am application, how do I determine which program it is associated with? thanks

Collapse -
spyware
by dvautier / May 3, 2005 8:06 AM PDT

You should be aware that there is spyware that can easily get into your system and slow it down usually through JAVA extensions in your web browser. If you use the web you will get spyware for sure--I guarantee it. The purpose of spyware is not to damage your computer but to advertise or promote a product. Just about everybody needs to run spyware protection software to keep their system running well. Otherwise it clutters things up and slows everything down, ofter to a critical point. Look around at some of the spy checking tools available on the web. Some are free like spybot.

Good luck

Collapse -
Flashlight looking for mycomputer
by ljb80 / May 5, 2005 10:17 AM PDT

I am currently having the same problem. I can not attach files via e-mail as the whole computer locks up. I am not that good at following message threads but hope the information in this one will help. I ran Norton 2004 but it did not find any viruses. Spybot and adaware found a few things which I removed. I will check running processes. Any other tips would be greately appreciated.

Thanks!

Collapse -
Thats about all you can do at this stage
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 5, 2005 7:42 PM PDT

ljb check your running processes with the lists in the answersthatwork site I gave in the 1st reply to this thread.

I feel tht if you do have any queries or problems, you may find it easier to create your own thread and start again. When a thread gets as long as this one, it becomes difficult to keep track of events.

Regards,

Mark

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.