Computer Help forum

General discussion

My computer turns itself off

by zakoE2 / May 22, 2008 1:50 AM PDT

I have a desktop with Windows XP which is 2 years old. It shuts itself off a few minutes after it's turned on, making it impossible for me to do a virus scan or even a diagnostic check. Also, I noticed that it is very slow. Please help me identify what is causing the problem and how to fix this problem. Many thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer turns itself off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer turns itself off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: My computer turns itself off
by caktus / May 22, 2008 2:20 AM PDT

Is Power Scheme set to turn the HDD off? If so, go to Start > Control Panel > Power Options > Power Schemes tab > and set "Turn Off Hard Disc" using the drop down menu. Also, while there check the other power options.

Hope this is helpful.

Collapse -
Have you tried booting into Safe Mode ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 22, 2008 3:00 AM PDT

to see if it still "shuts itself off"?

Heat can also cause shutdowns - take the case cover off and try to run it and OBSERVE whether the fans are all working properly. Taking the case cover off allows heat to dissipate better - directing a floor fan into the case helps even more.

Any error messages? Have you checked your system and application logs with your Event Viewer? What ERRORS (they have a red icon) are shown (Source and Event ID number needed)?

After you have tried those get back to us with the results.

Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 22, 2008 3:22 AM PDT

Thank you all for the reply. I will run all the suggestions and will report back the results. My other problem is that the computer is very slow. Could this also be caused by the heat?

Collapse -
Could be but ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 22, 2008 4:42 AM PDT

you wouldn't wax your car while in the middle of repairing the engine would you? Let's locate and try to fix the problem before we worry about what the birds left as they flew over.

Collapse -
Slow computer AND unexpected shut down..
by DerfX / May 22, 2008 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be but ...

...there are probably quite a few possible causes but make sure you don't have you hard drive filled to the limit. If, there's not enough spce to properly execute a page file, it may get very slow and shut down. Just one possibility to consider.

Collapse -
My computer truns itself off
by zakoE2 / May 23, 2008 1:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Could be but ...

I did all the suggested fixes - the computer still turns itself off. The only difference is it doesn't turn off right away, it takes a several minutes before it does. However, the slowness is getting worst. All the items on the desktop disappears and reappears and it takes forever to open a program. It almost seem like the computer is "frozen." HELP!!!

Thanks a lot.

Collapse -
RE: "I did all the suggested fixes" ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 23, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
the computer still turns itself off. The only difference is it doesn't turn off right away, it takes a several minutes before it does"

So we ASSUME you removed the case cover AND positioned a floor fan to blow into the case? The use of a floor fan was part of the suggestion. The fact that it does run "several minutes" with the case cover off does lend credence to a heat problem.

I do have a bit of a problem believing that you "did all the suggested fixes" because I also plainly stated -

"Any error messages? Have you checked your system and application logs with your Event Viewer? What ERRORS (they have a red icon) are shown (Source and Event ID number needed)?"

I don't see anything posted about them and they can be very CRITICAL in locating the exact problem or problems.

The cleaning Bob suggested and you indicated you would do is a good start at solving the heat problem and after that you can tell us what Anti-virus and Anti-Malware scans you have or have not done and their results.
Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 27, 2008 1:54 AM PDT

The case is off with a floor fan directed at it. I cleaned inside as directed in the video. I could not check any error messages as I coud not open the Control Panel. Actually, all programs are "Not Responding." They would initially open but will stay frozen, then the computer turns itself off. The computer is inoperable!

I am so frustrated I am thinking of just using the "Recovery CD" that came with the computer. I'm just afraid to lose all data that I have.

Collapse -
If you can't get to the Event Viewer through ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 27, 2008 3:18 AM PDT

the Control Panel try using the Run line with eventvwr.msc or eventvwr.exe which should be a stup to initiate the Viewer.

Failing that, I agree that you need to consider restoring the system to the condition you purchased it.

Prior to doing that, you can easily make use of a Linux Live CD (many distributions available so you can take your pick) or BartPE (a bootable WinXP environment you create with your XP installation CD if you have one). Both allow you to boot from your CD and save your data files to CD or a USB storage device.

Knoppix is well known and has been used for just such purposes and this link shows how to make use of it for saving data:

Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 30, 2008 1:28 AM PDT

Finally, after several attempts opening the event viewer I was able to get in. The following error meesages are logged:
Service Control Mgr (source) = 7000,7009, 7011 (event ID#s)
Application Hang (source) = 1002 (event ID#)
MSSQLServer warning (source) = 19011 (event ID#)

Every now and then I would get this error message: Unable to start driver for hp0ipm07.exe.

I have no idea what the above means.

Collapse -
Service control manager
by Dango517 / May 30, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

Service failed to start also could be a bad driver or no driver at all.

Service did not start in time.

Service did not start in time.

Mssql Server warning 19011

Computer may not have necessary registry information or message DLL to display messages from a remote server.

This is not good. First have you been changing settings in your "services" portion of this PC? If you have I hope you wrote them down.

Why do you have a MsSql server on this PC? Are we dealing with a business here? This software is primarily used to run data bases something usually not found on home PCs. What version is it?

We need more information about that application hang before we can provide additional support concerning it. This is generally a problem with software you've installed like, MsSql.

These problems could also be caused by registry errors. The registry is one of the first things to load when the PC is started, if it has errors in it it will not start correctly. Warning, to make repairs to the registry is not without risk.

Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 30, 2008 4:21 AM PDT

This is a personal computer. I have not changed anything on the registry nor the service portion since I bought this computer. The application hang is the Ad-Aware and the Spoybot. I do not know what MSSql but this message comes up as a warning (supersocket info). Could this be caused by a virus?

Collapse -
Remove or re-install those two programs
by Dango517 / May 30, 2008 12:43 PM PDT

Check your "device manager" for errors. If there are errors replace these drivers. Do you have automatic updates enabled? My guess is that there is a strong likelihood the the program controlling your services has a problem in it, not an individual service, more then likely this is a registry problem. Are you sure you've made no changes to your "services" settings.

Are you prepared to reinstall your operating system? Do back ups of all important files now.

Collapse -
You have avoided my question.
by Dango517 / May 30, 2008 12:52 PM PDT

Are you a business? Make sure you back up all your photos and important documents, things you do not wish to lose.

Note, photos should be backed up using more then two back up methods. I'd suggest too USB. This might also apply to important documents including tax returns, receipts, business correspondent. Only you can determine what these documents are.

Collapse -
You have avoided my question
by zakoE2 / June 2, 2008 1:38 AM PDT

No, this is not a business. I replied to this message (post #13) - this is a personal computer. Can't do any back up work because the computer is very slow and freezes when trying to do some work on it. I am going to try and do a registry sweep - maybe this will help it a little bit.

Collapse -
So, we have it running consistantly now but slow?
by Dango517 / June 2, 2008 2:32 AM PDT

Good luck with the registry repair those can cause problems. Make a restore point first or back your system.

Consider more RAM next:

If we have it working right and the registry repair has speeded it up a bit and the RAM has speeded it up considerable then that's about the best this system will do.

The next step would be a new CPU. The question is is it worth it?

Collapse -
That is good, now armed with this information ...
by Edward ODaniel / May 30, 2008 4:52 AM PDT

follow this link click on the link labeled Details. (you will see that in your event log the description will include some service or device and you need to make yourself aware of which specific service or device is mentioned or if several are).
Service Control Manager Event ID 7000

Now, you will also note that the page also allows you to search for other Event IDs and Sources. Follow the same process with each Source and ID and that information along with the description in the Event Logs will lead you to the cause or allow more cogent information about the specific problem to be posted here.

Since Service Control Manager problems can be software or hardware a system restore may help if it is software related but will not if it is hardware related.

Collapse -
System shuting down problem
by detta85 / May 27, 2008 7:05 PM PDT

Hi, Edward ODaniel

I have the problem of system off itself. But when i read ur answers, now i understood the problem of sys shut down. i will try it. thank u for ur suggestions.

Cheap Phaser 8560 ink and Xerox 8560 supplies from Great deals, 100% money-back guarantee & same day shipping.

<a href=""></a>

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 23, 2008 1:21 AM PDT
Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 23, 2008 6:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

I guess I did not thoroughly clean the computer. This will be my weekend project. I'm hoping that this will fix the problem. Many thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Turn your sound way up then restart the PC.
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 3:37 AM PDT

Any beeps? Thou over heating can cause major system crashes usually these are Power Supply problems. If this is the problem you should be hearing hardware failure beeps when you first push the start button. Still no beeps try reinstalling the RAM. If it's not a hardware problem then more then likely it's a denial of service virus. Be patient someone might figure it out for you but in the end you might have to reinstall the OS to confirm hardware problems and get ride of any possible viruses.

Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 27, 2008 3:41 AM PDT

Yes, there are beeps, But it's occasional - not all the time. When the computer is unresponsive I would turn it off and when turned on it would sometimes beep several times.

Collapse -
Are the beeps the same as what you normally hear?
by 4Denise / May 27, 2008 10:40 AM PDT

It is normal for the computer to beep. It is the pattern that is important. If the beep pattern is different from what you got before, when the computer was operating properly, then suspect a hardware problem.

If the pattern is different, or if you don't know for sure, then the thing to do would be to research it. Find out what motherboard you have and check the motherboard manufacturer's site for information. Each pattern of beeps has a specific meaning for each motherboard, and it is good to have that information available.

Collapse -
Go to the PC manufactures web site and search
by Dango517 / May 27, 2008 2:55 PM PDT

using these terms, "Beep Codes". This should provide you with the sequence of Beeps and there meaning. This will tell you what has or is failing. Reinstall the RAM anyway, it will cost you nothing and might fix it quickly. Sometimes they get dirty or aren't "seated" correctly and this might fix it. If the codes indicate something else then off to the store you go for a replacement. My best guess would be a malfunctioning RAM or power supply that has gone bad.

Collapse -
Reinstall the RAM
by komrad78 / May 27, 2008 11:25 PM PDT

Try to reinstalling the RAM as above me said.

<a href="">gdi</a>

Collapse -
by zakoE2 / May 28, 2008 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Reinstall the RAM

I have not done this in the past - how do you re-install a RAM? Which is the RAM?

Collapse -
Re-installing RAM
by Dango517 / May 28, 2008 2:38 PM PDT
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.