Computer Help forum

General discussion

My computer shuts down when ever i try to play games

by Mordemor / January 21, 2007 12:48 PM PST

My computer shuts down every single time i try to play video games such as World of warcraft counterstrike call of duty ect. At first i thought it might be internet related so i tryed games that didnt involve internet connection still shut down so i think it might be my video card
but then i thought about a virus so i did a scan nothing showed up. changed harddrives just as a check still same result it cant be overheating though because i have 3 fans on it and i took the side casing off also it still shuts down. And it cant be power because i opend the side left of the cover and unplugged all of the fans except my cpu fan got the same result. Please tell me if you have a slolution here are my specs.

ATI Raedeon 9250
3ghz procer pentium 4
512 of ddr226
internet connection speed is 1.5mbps
please give me a solution it has been like this for quite some time.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer shuts down when ever i try to play games
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer shuts down when ever i try to play games
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The card
by PKsteven / January 21, 2007 3:46 PM PST

is not a real "heavy hitter" and is known to not work well with newer games. Many don't have issues with older games but newer ones will cause this. It is a cheaper upgrade but I wouldn't expect to run anything spectacular on it. This is my opinion of the card but if anyone else has any info they can share but I think it's the card.

Collapse -
While true
by jackson dougless / January 21, 2007 11:40 PM PST
In reply to: The card

The Radeon 92xx series is pretty low end, it wouldn't cause the computer to shut down when playing a game. It would cause the game to run poorly, but it would still run.

Collapse -
Not true...
by PKsteven / January 22, 2007 12:28 AM PST
In reply to: While true

Many others have had issues with newer games not running at all. I will however state that a couple of factors, those who DID get higher end and newer games to run "albeit choppy at times" with it set their resolution to 800X600.

As well, I question what size power supply the postee has. Still if looking to be heavy into games, this is not the card for it.

Collapse -
I'll disagree
by jackson dougless / January 22, 2007 9:29 AM PST
In reply to: Not true...

While this is getting off subject, the simple fact is, if the card is underpowered, it won't cause the computer to reboot. Either the game will run unplayably slow, or it simply won't run. Never should an underpowered (performance wise) card cause the computer to reboot.

Also, given we're dealing with a low end video card, the strain it puts on the PSU would be minimal. IIRC, the 92xx series doesn't even have the auxiliary power feed common on higher end cards, but is powered solely through the AGP bus.

Further, overtaxed power supplies cause the computer to reboot, not shut down. Unless there's also an electrical fault somewhere that's triggering a fail safe. If it were a higher end card we were dealing with, I might be able to at least say it was worth a look, despite heavy reservations.

We can agree that the 92xx series of cards are not well suited for gaming, but that's about it. IMO, you are using methods for high end video cards, which don't apply in this case.

Collapse -
That's fine..
by PKsteven / January 22, 2007 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: I'll disagree

going strictly by a book, however in reality every day repairs see many strange not to the book type situations and noone can go exactly by that. As well, the original post has been changed down the line making this null and void. First no games would play so it seemed, now it's only certain games and the card worked prior. The postee claims no software is fault, no power supply, what other possibility except it's a cheap card and is probably had it's day? They haven't changed anything either. With the exception of me simply being jealous here,ya, what other explanation would you then have? Remember,according to source, not hardware, no changes, not software, no games worked, not even internet, now it's only a certain game\s. So truly this has gotten off topic\out of hand, I simply stated a fact and others have the same issue with these cards, it's not immaginary so from here on, you may take the stage, no problem. My final statement, it's the card.

Collapse -
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:41 AM PST
In reply to: While true

Well i have had my video card for about a year or more and it runs it perfectly along with all of my other games.

Collapse -
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: reply:

and this game it has only recently done this it just one day when i started the game the second i got to play it shuts down with no warning and in about .5 seconds

Collapse -
until recently
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:55 AM PST
In reply to: reply:

Until recently it shuts down on all of them

Collapse -
I mean..
by PKsteven / January 22, 2007 8:37 AM PST
In reply to: until recently

no offense here with the exception of some thinking me jealous, this was your statement...

**My computer shuts down every single time i try to play video games such as World of warcraft counterstrike call of duty ect. At first i thought it might be internet related so i tryed games that didnt involve internet connection still shut down so i think it might be my video card**

Now , I don't get ANYTHING that says your card worked prior. Nowhere in your statement. To me it sounds like no games work at all. This is a whole different matter. If it worked previously, then my diagnosis would have been completely different. However, I am not a mind reader. Proper information should be suggested first.

Collapse -
Exactly what PSU do you have ?
by VAPCMD / January 21, 2007 10:24 PM PST

What other HW is in the system ?

How sure are you the heastsink fan is optimally installed...?

Try installing "SensorsView" and then try a game...see where the CPU temp goes. Disconnecting fans that don't require much power won't show much re a PSU insufficiency.

Collapse -
Exactly what PSU do you have reply:
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:42 AM PST

i have a 430watt PSU

Collapse -
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:46 AM PST

the only other things that i left out were my 80g removable harddrive and my 80g internal. my MSI P4M266A + 8237 chipset motherboardwith 6ch audio, and my wireless card which is Airnet 802.11g/b

Collapse -
try this
by SCOTTRIGGLE / January 22, 2007 1:50 AM PST

hey, first of all,the person telling your computer is not thet great is down playing your computer becuase he/sh is still useing a 1995 packard bell and is jealous.Anyhow,check all yuor fans are running, including the one inside your power supply. then make sure you have everything on yuor computer the game requires. trust me, you got a better than ok machine, if this does not work for you, uninstall any speacial programs you might have putt on or downloaded, what i mean by speacial is, hacked or free software. Sometimes those programs don't get along. Make sure you have the updated drivers for yuor video card even if you just put in the video card, go to the web sight and download the newest.

Collapse -
Thank you for your help but
by Mordemor / January 22, 2007 2:49 AM PST
In reply to: try this

Thank you for your help but it wouldnt be new software because i got a new hardrive and it still shutdown

Collapse -
Saw same thing happen
by AcidTest / February 9, 2007 5:46 AM PST

Saw WOW sutting down W2K server as soon as I hit Play. Rebooted problem went away.

Collapse -
by PKsteven / January 22, 2007 8:31 AM PST
In reply to: try this

No, I am not downplaying anyone's pc. My pc is just fine and I am far from jealous of anyone's pc. I am not materialistic, I have what matters in life and it's not digital. Second, if you read user reviews on this card, others have the same issue. This was simply a suggestion as the ratings and user reviews point to the exact same issue, if it's not that then no harm done. If someone can actually take my statement as being jealous then my friend, you have issues, not me.

Collapse -
by Mordemor / January 23, 2007 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: Downplay

Thank you i will get a new video card.

Collapse -
by Chosen-1 / January 29, 2007 4:24 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

i Have this same exact problem actually. and just like him it didnt start till recently. and actually it wasnt till i think i either installed the expansion to WoW or one of the new patches. but everything used to run perfectly fine. now my comp will reboot while playin wow. wc3 and sometimes while im not even playin anything i just got music playin.

im usin an nvidia geforce fx 5500
2.66gz celeron processor
512 mb ram

Collapse -
by Chosen-1 / January 29, 2007 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: same

Just correcting myself. my comp doesnt Restart. it just shuts off. I downloaded some program called speedfan to see temps. and theres 3 temps two of them are in the 30c area. but temp 2 is constantly at 93-96c

Collapse -
Thermal Compound?
by zacharydak / January 30, 2007 6:55 PM PST
In reply to: correction

My good friend had the EXACT same problem. Check your CPU fan/heatsink and CPU, and see if there is any thermal compound left. His was metal-on-metal, no wonder. And he bought a new processor without telling me about the problem. So just check the thermal compound.

Collapse -
by Chosen-1 / January 31, 2007 5:54 PM PST
In reply to: Thermal Compound?

haha im a computer nub, i know some crap but i hav eno idea what a thermal compound is? i know all the fans are workin. but on the program i got it shows fan 1 spinnin at 0 rpm. but the other ones workin. but when i look at the comp all my fans seem to be runnin even the cpu one.

but anyways. whats thermal compound? haha.. ya

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.