PC Hardware forum

Question

My computer shuts down frequently...

by Terry Browne / April 5, 2013 7:38 PM PDT

My computer shuts down every now and then. The HDDs are very hot but the system isn't. I have plenty of fans and they work well and the box is very big for what I have. It shuts down especially when I watch a a video clip. I thought it was a heat problem with the CPU but it seems to be OK. I am not a gamer and I am using Windows XP and a P4 CPU.

http://s15.postimg.org/wsxod22i3/IMG_1045.jpg

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer shuts down frequently...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer shuts down frequently...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Heat does kill drives.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 1:59 AM PDT

And since most folk don't have backups, you should see if the drives can be spaced out to give them more air.

The P4 is also a classic for this issue. I used to explain it in depth but can't do that any longer.

Just dive in and replace the heatsink compound and clean as you go.

-> Forget fans. Leave the cover off and point some house fan at the box until you sort it.
Bob

Collapse -
Heatsink compound...
by Terry Browne / April 6, 2013 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Heat does kill drives.
Confused I don't have any now. Could that be the reason? The problem is that the HDDs are very hot. Maybe I should by fans for them and put them in the 3.5" trays?
Collapse -
It's not optional.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Heatsink compound...

It's about 2 bucks and without it you run the risk of losing a CPU.
Bob

Collapse -
BTW...
by Terry Browne / April 6, 2013 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Heat does kill drives.

What heatsink compound would you recommend? There's a ton of them on the web....

Collapse -
The one that costs 1 to 10 bucks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 6, 2013 2:08 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW...

Never more than that.
Bob

Collapse -
Arctic Silver is a well-known thermal compound ...see
by VAPCMD / April 7, 2013 6:33 AM PDT
In reply to: BTW...
Collapse -
Answer
Concur with Bob and offer 68c is pretty HOT.
by VAPCMD / April 6, 2013 6:08 AM PDT

Have you cleaned out any dust from the CPU heatsink fan or the GPU ?

What TEMPs are you seeing in the HDDs ? HD Tune V2.55 can give you HD temps. I have HDD coolers on all my HDDs and they really stay cool 30c or so.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Dust...
by Terry Browne / April 6, 2013 10:08 AM PDT

I have dusted the entire computer and there is plenty of space in the box. I would like to install a software like the one you recommend, but half way into the installation the computer shuts down from over heating or whatever it is... Sad

Collapse -
See link below for HDD coolers....
by VAPCMD / April 6, 2013 11:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Dust...

and purchase/apply some new thermal paste for the CPU.

Re the interior cleaning ... good to hear.

Let us know how it works.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Another thought...if you have HDDs stacked on each other
by VAPCMD / April 7, 2013 12:28 AM PDT

in the 3.5" drive bays...consider respacing them to allow for better heat dissipation. Same with CD and DVD drives in 5.25" drive bays.

Having plenty of space inside the case is nice....but if you're fans aren't doing a good job removing that heat....you've still got a heat/temp problem.

To minimize the temp problem....I've got a high performance CPU HS Fan, cooling fans on all my HDDs and plenty of case fans (with RPM controls) to expel the heat. My system runs 24/7 and it runs fast and reliably.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
Hot stacks.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2013 12:33 AM PDT

Off to breakfast soon!

Collapse -
(NT) I'd like mine over easy !!
by VAPCMD / April 7, 2013 6:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Hot stacks.
Collapse -
Answer
In addition...
by Willy / April 6, 2013 7:04 AM PDT

if you cleaned the PC case out, be sure to check the frt. panel area. You need to remove it and just may find a dust blanket there as dust collects and isn't easily visible. That's an area most don't check even if you blow out everywhere else, that's the primary air-IN location also any filter be cleaned.

tada -----Willy :

Collapse -
Answer
cpu
by wojcio999 / April 17, 2013 1:30 PM PDT

your cpu might be over heating check that out, try to replace heat sink or something

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.