Dell forum

General discussion

My Computer - not listing Device with Removable Storage!!

by pickyone2 / February 23, 2010 3:19 PM PST

I am running Windows XP Home Edition SP3 on a Dell E520.

I previously had listed 6 Devices with Removable Storage (D thru I) under My Computer, even though I had no USB Flash Cards in those drives. I then put in a USB Flash Card in drive I (a USB slot on the front of my desktop) and it read it fine.

I then also put in another USB Flash Card in another USB slot on the front of the desktop and it showed this as Drive J.

I was defragger these USB Flash Cards when an error message occurred:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: Microsoft Management Console
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1000
Date: 2/23/2010
Time: 10:17:24 PM
User: N/A
Computer:
Description:

The description for Event ID ( 1000 )
in Source ( Microsoft Management Console ) cannot be found.
The local computer may not have the necessary registry information
or message DLL files to display messages from a remote computer.
You may be able to use the /AUXSOURCE= flag to retrieve this
description; see Help and Support for details. The following
information is part of the event: mmc.exe, 5.2.3790.4136,
dfrgui.dll, 5.1.2600.5512, 0000b086.

When I then removed both flash cards, both drive designations disappeard from my list of Devices with Removable Storage. Prior to this error, drive I always showed up under My Computer along with the other drives (D - I).

Although it still shows up when I put in a USB Flash Card, as soon as I remove the Flash Card, the drive designation now also disappears.

Please explain what has happened? Did the error cause the computer to not recognize and list the I drive any more?

Please help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer - not listing Device with Removable Storage!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer - not listing Device with Removable Storage!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With my PC (although not a Dell) ...
by Kees Bakker / February 23, 2010 3:53 PM PST

- the multi-card reader has 4 drive-letters that always show, even if there's nothing in it.
- the USB-ports only show with a driver letter if I put in a storage device (USB-stick, external hard disk, MP3-player).

My PC at work (a Dell) has no multi-card reader, but the USB-ports behave the same as above: only show a drive letter when there's a storage device in them.

This always seemed quite normal to me. As long as it works, I wouldn't mind.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks for the info.
by pickyone2 / February 23, 2010 8:53 PM PST

Thanks Kees for the info. I appreciate it.

Collapse -
Same non-standards here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 23, 2010 7:51 PM PST

One machine has it show the drives when there is a card in the reader. My other machine has them showing all the time.

Chalk it up to an inconsistency of Windows and drivers. Since it works people have not complained too much about it.

Maybe it is time for Microsoft to nail this down. But I wouldn't count on this being addressed for many years to come.

The "Be thankful it works" doesn't seem to fly well in 2010.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks Bob, I hope I didn't do anything to cause the problem
by pickyone2 / February 23, 2010 8:43 PM PST

Thanks very much for your input on this issue Bob. It concerned me because before the error, Drive "I" did show up along with the multi card reader drives. Although drive "J" never showed up UNTIL a USB Flash Card was actually placed in the USB slot, drive "I" was always listed regardless of whether or not a USB Flash Card was inserted!

I was concerned that perhaps I had burned out something (a driver, etc., etc.) that now caused the "I" drive not to show up in my list of drives under My Computer.

I guess I just have to learn to live with these inconsistences/quirks in my computer. I do tend to obsess over issues like this from time to time as I try to maintain my pc as best I can.

Thanks again.

Collapse -
Not compatible with removabke storage
by BrotherTN360 / March 19, 2011 10:57 AM PDT

There are times when inconsistencies happen and cause you so much inconvenience.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.