Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My computer makes strange noises

by redqueenrox / October 2, 2010 1:19 AM PDT

When I boot I hear a noise like breaking glass. While using the computer I get sounds like dogs barking, creaky doors opening, smoochy kisses, Hi Honey. I have taken out all programs that I thought might be responsible, like emoticons, etc. but the sounds continue. I am most worried about the noise when I first boot. What ideas do you have about this behavior?
Thanks
Lois

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer makes strange noises
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer makes strange noises
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Have you checked for malware ?
by VAPCMD / October 2, 2010 1:43 AM PDT
Collapse -
Do you share this computer or ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 2, 2010 2:16 AM PDT

have you ever allowed someone else to play with it?

To fix your "problem" you need to boot the computer then access the Control Panel then the Sounds and audio Devices applet.

Now scroll through the list and listen to each sound for each event that has an associated sound (you can tell a sound is associated because it will name the sound file and if there is no sound file it will indicate NONE).

As you scroll through the sounds you can change the sounds associated with events (such as Windows Logon) to some that aren't disturbing for you.

Collapse -
even simpler
by porsche10x / October 10, 2010 4:30 AM PDT

You really don't have to take the time to listen to and decide on every sound. You can just set them back to "Windows defaults". If the problem is malware related this probably won't help, at least not for long.

Collapse -
Agree with Edward
by Ol Rod / October 3, 2010 7:39 AM PDT

Sounds like someone has messed with your "event sounds"

Collapse -
I had a similar problem not long ago
by gingele1 / October 3, 2010 8:01 AM PDT

I had to pay a technician to fix this.

Collapse -
System themes
by Willy / October 4, 2010 12:04 AM PDT

Depending on your OS installed, there are audio/sound themes that are part of the OS install. These are selectable but also other themes can be installed from other sources. I suspect someone either mistakenly done this and the end result is what you have. -OR- if malware, then it's an nuisance rather than problematic, it causes grief. I do suspect someone has changed the theme is some way and the audio responses is to what you're doing at the time, like opening a new webpage or pop-up window, etc.. Again, depending on your OS, click on a an open area of the desktop and locate "personalize or properties for video/audio". Then reselect to do what makes you happy, play with it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
mine to!
by scissors1998 / October 6, 2010 1:54 AM PDT

hiya, my computer is like this too. apart from i only hear a dog scratching something and a dog barking. i dont know what to do. have you found the soures yet? if so could you please mail back because i am quite worried!
regards, anna

Collapse -
Have you taken the time to ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 6, 2010 7:22 AM PDT
In reply to: mine to!

READ the responses to the original post and try them on your own computer?

Hint, the answers don't change and the sounds won't change unless YOU change them to your preferences by following the directions already given.

Collapse -
spyware check
by warrencharlot / October 6, 2010 2:43 PM PDT

Try downloading the SpyDoctor program from Google and scan your computer immediately. If the spyware can't be removed, then I guess you have to reformat your PC.

Collapse -
I'll Recommend NOT Installing SpyDoctor
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / October 7, 2010 3:38 AM PDT
In reply to: spyware check

"Spyware Doctor" maybe (although it's not the greatest tool available)... But not "SpyDoctor". The program SpyDoctor is an older, harmful, rogue antispyware program. As such, it finds lots of dubious malware and then asks you to pay to remove the malware..

If removal of spyware is the goal, the two free programs below are a better bet:

Malwarebytes Antimalware

SUPERAntispyware Removal Tool

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
Strange noises
by DSHornet / October 8, 2010 11:08 AM PDT

The way you describe the noises your PC makes sounds to me like you have one or more cooling fans that have loose, worn bearings. The fan shafts wobble around inside their "bearings" (actually sleeves impregnated with oil that eventually goes away and leaves the sleeve bearings dry). Only more expensive cooling fans have real ball bearings in them.

There's a novel fix for this. Open the cabinet and remove the fans from their mounts or heat sinks. Note the position of the air flow direction arrows on the case of the fans. Turn the fan over and notice the decal stuck on the hub of the fan, and carefully lift one side of the decal. If you completely remove it it's okay, but you want to put it back in place if possible. Next (this is the novel part), dip the end of a toothpick in a light oil - olive oil or vegetable oil will suffice - and let one drop of the oil fall into the hub of the fan without letting any fall to the side where the decal was stuck. There's nothing wrong with a second drop, but believe it or not, too much oil can cause excessive friction and slow down the fan speed. You want to lubricate the fan sleeve bearings, not drown them. Now stick the decal back in place to keep dust out of the fan motor and bearings. Reassemble everything (you did note the way the arrows on the fan pointed, didn't you?), cleaning out any loose dust bunnies and woolly boogers while everything is pulled apart. Power up and see if the noise is lessened or gone.

I've done this several times. It works - IF the racket is caused by loose fan bearings. What the hey, it's worth a try.

Don
Hoover, Alabama

Collapse -
Don, ever heard a worn or dry bearing make a sound ...
by Edward ODaniel / October 9, 2010 4:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Strange noises

like "Hi Honey" as was stated in the original post or even "like breaking glass" as was also stated?

If so PLEASE tell me the brand 'cause I want some Wink

Collapse -
might be your hard drive
by GENE8 / October 8, 2010 5:07 PM PDT

The noise that you hear when you boot might be coming from your hard drive. Usually when a hard drive is going bad and is about to fail soon it often makes strange noises like crackling and creaking sounds. Check to see if you hard drive is ok by running tests on it.

Collapse -
Find out where it's coming from
by Dango517 / October 9, 2010 5:44 AM PDT

(Warning: opening a new PC/Mac can void the warranty.)
My guess is you have a fan blade striking on something or the hard drive is failing.

http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=120507

You need to check inside to be sure. Not up to that? Then take it in for a repair.

This thread is untracked

Collapse -
needs repairs
by warrencharlot / October 13, 2010 2:39 PM PDT

you have to go to the repair shop and let it diagnosed and repaired

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.