Computer Help

Question

My computer is running slow...which processes can I remove?

by ABeautifulTulip / April 2, 2012 1:35 AM PDT

Hi,

I have a Dell Studio 1537 running on Vista Home Edition. I have a 64-bit operating system, 4GB or RAM and a Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU Processor.

I know more than the average Joe about my computer, but I don't know much more. I have gone through my processes before and cleaned things out I was sure about, but my computer is still being kind of slow...mostly when it comes to streaming online videos. I know it isn't the internet connection (which is wireless) because my roommate can watch the same video I'm trying to watch, sitting right next to me, and not have any problems. Specifically Netflix isn't working. This is a new account, but when I had it over a year ago, I didn't have any problems watching it on this computer. I read that you could uninstall and re-install Silverlight, but that didn't work. Help? Oh, and I also use McAfee for my virus and spyware detector.

So, here are the processes currently running on my computer. I have 5 tabs open in Google Chrome and one word document open.

ApMsgFwd.exe
ApntEx.exe
ApntEx.exe
Apoint.exe
Ati2evxx.exe
BTTray.exe
caller64.exe
chrome.exe *32 (There are 11 instances of this...)
csrss.exe
dwm.exe
E_IATIEKA.EXE
explorer.exe
hidfind.exe
jusched.exe *32
mcagent.exe
rundll32.exe (There are 3 instances of this...)
rundll32.exe *32
saUI.exe *32
splwow64.exe
SSMMgr.exe *32
sttray64.exe
taskeng.exe
taskmgr.exe
winlogon.exe
WINWORD.EXE *32

I hope that is enough information.... I know a lot of these processes are necessary, but what isn't? I switched from Firefox to Chrome because I read that it has less drag? True? Is there a better browser I could use? Could it be something specific to Chrome?

Thanks for your help!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer is running slow...which processes can I remove?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer is running slow...which processes can I remove?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Googling is the answer

Do a generic search on Google home page to see what a process is and what it does.

Example: http://www.google.com/#q=E_IATIEKA.EXE&nfpr=1&ei=F9V5T--FBYmCgAeFxdy0CQ&sqi=2&start=0&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5b0119bf26e0d462&biw=1280&bih=861

and: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=12&gs_id=b&xhr=t&q=caller64.exe&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=caller64.exe&aq=&aqi=&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=5b0119bf26e0d462&biw=1280&bih=861

Did you remove/disable all svchost.exe instances?

Here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running/

Be careful what links you click on google generic searches, some are bad. WOT (World Of Trust) is a safety reputation plug-in, install/visit from here: http://www.mywot.com/

Windows needs these services to run properly.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I see nothing wrong here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2012 2:59 AM PDT

You supplied that great information and it's pretty clear that having 11 web pages open can cause even the best of machines to slow down. Why? If said web pages have javascript that isn't the best, then your machine can go much slower.

NOTHING IS WRONG GIVEN THE CURRENT LOAD.

We do know that mixing mcafee and some other apps (teatimer) do result is extra speed loss but having all that open only means the machine has a lot to do and keep track of.

If you did want to pop the hood, read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-510824.html where we go under the hood to find the conflicts.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.