Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Computer Is Missing!

by jonontherd / May 22, 2008 6:37 AM PDT

I'm running XP Pro on my out dated Dell computer. I went to the Start button a day ago and noticed that My Computer was missing. I don't remember how long ago it was but I noticed it was a shortcut on my desktop and without batting an eye I deleted it. I download a program called Revo Uninstaller. I deleted Winamp and wanted to see if any folders were left in my Programs Files which Windows leaves behind and low and behold it was gone. So now My Computer is gone and I use the Search tool to go to Program Files, does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this SNAFU? Also I have no idea how it ended up on my desktop.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer Is Missing!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer Is Missing!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My Computer icon missing on desktop.
by Kees Bakker / May 22, 2008 6:45 AM PDT

With me, it's a setting in the desktop properties. Right click on an empty part of the desktop, choose properties, find the Desktop tab, choose Edit desktop button, choose General tab and in the top block check the checkbox for "Show My Computer" .

Does it work?

Collapse -
Try this
by Steven Haninger / May 22, 2008 6:49 AM PDT

Right-click on desktop and select "Properties"

Select the Desktop tab and Customize Desktop button
From the General tab select "Restore Default".

That's it

Collapse -
I'm glad that worked out...
by DerfX / May 22, 2008 9:30 AM PDT

...after reading the title of your initial post, I thought someone stole your computer. Wink

Collapse -
My Computer Is Missing...
by jonontherd / May 23, 2008 6:15 AM PDT

Sorry I've been away for a few days but here's what I've done so far.
I right clicked on the desktop and brought up Display Properties on the Desktop. Then clicked on Customized Desktop, in the Desktop Items I clicked on the My Computer icon then Restore Defaults then OK then Apply and OK again, nothing happened, no icon or change in the Start menu where it should be, I even restarted the computer just in case I missed a step. I don't know what to do, but I do want to thank you guys for helping me out. You gurus know your stuff and I wish I were as smart as all of you all. I'm not giving though, anymore suggestions I will not hesitate to try except restore my hard drive, I'll do that when I upgrade my megar 80 gig for a much larger one along with a lightscribe DVD burner.

Collapse -
Just for the heck of it
by Steven Haninger / May 23, 2008 6:31 AM PDT

Try creating a new user and see if the icon shows for that person.

Collapse -
Sorry to read it didn't work.
by Kees Bakker / May 23, 2008 6:36 AM PDT

It's a system folder and I should say it's impossible to delete it from the desktop other than not showing it via the properties. But I won't try. Did you look in the Recycle bin already?

Collapse -
Missing My Computer
by jonontherd / May 23, 2008 6:58 AM PDT

I keep the Recycle Bin emptied so I know its not there. I haven't tried making another User Account but I will keep you updated on my progress. Thanks to all, two thumbs up!

Collapse -
Re: empty recycle bin
by Kees Bakker / May 23, 2008 7:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Missing My Computer

Keeping it empty defeats its purpose: undo deletes.
With the current size of hard disks, who cares for 10 Gb of data there?

Collapse -
My computer is missing
by Chasgustaf / May 24, 2008 4:00 AM PDT

Right click on welcome screen. click on properties. click on custimize desktop, put a check mark in my computer, click okay, click apply, click okay. My computer on desktop

Collapse -
Adding My Computer to the Start menu
by JamesJ / May 23, 2008 9:18 PM PDT

To try to add My Computer back to the Start menu, right-click on the taskbar and select Properties. Select the "Start Menu" tab and click the Customize button next to your selected start menu option ("regular" or classic). Select the Advanced tab and scroll down the "start menu items" list to "My Computer". If it's set to "don't display", pick a display option. If it's already set to display, I'd try the other display option, or maybe try selecting "don't display", then OK, then come back and try changing it back to "display". For the record, my Start menu is set to the "regular" view, not classic. I'm assuming that the classic view has similar options for displaying "My Computer".

FWIW, if you get "My Computer" back in the Start menu and want it back on the desktop as well, you can theoretically just drag&drop it from the Start menu to the desktop. However, that could end up moving it from the Start menu to the desktop, rather than copying it. If that happened, you could hopefully get it back in the Start menu using the procedure above. You could try holding the Control key while you did the drag&drop. In some situations, holding Control during a drag&drop will tell Windows to copy the item instead of moving it. But I can't tell if it will work when dragging and dropping "My Computer" from the Start menu to the desktop.

FWIW, if you had a shortcut to "My Computer" show up on your desktop unexpectedly, and it disappeared from the Start menu at around the same time, then perhaps you accidentally did a drag&drop from the Start menu to the desktop.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Adding My Computer to the Start menu
by kaliszek / October 9, 2009 7:26 AM PDT

Thanks James! None of the "property" changes helped! Finally, after much searching, I found your response!

Collapse -
re: computer missing
by rjmINca / May 24, 2008 6:26 AM PDT

I myself don't use the icon to explore my computer. I hit the "windows" key (in between the CTRL and ALT keys) + the "e" key together. That way I don't need to go to the desktop to explore.

Collapse -
My Computer Is Missing!
by ppkakkar / May 24, 2008 3:18 PM PDT

Dear Jonontherd,
I have solved this problem on various ocassions with one of the following ways. Reading your feed back I find you have not yet tried this. Please give it a try:
1. a. Goto your desktop.
b. Right click on some empty part of it.
c. Click Properties.
d. Click Desktop tab.
e. Click "Cutomize Desktop.." button, Destop Items window appears.
f. Click General tab (if required),
g. Under Destop Icons "UNCHECK" My Compuer radio button.
h. Click OK twice.
i. Repeat steps (a) to (f) above.
j. Under Destop Items "CHECK" My Computer radio button.
k. Click OK twice.

This should do the job.

You can also try the following:
2. a. Right Click START botton.
b. Click Properties.
c. Under Start menu Tab "CHECK" Start Menu radio button.
d. Click Customize.. button.
e. Cutomize Start Menu window appears. Click Advanced button tab.
f. Under Start menu Items, scroll down to entries under My Computer.
g. "CHECK" the radio button "Don't dispaly this item".
h. Click OK twice.
i. Repeat steps (a) to (f) above.
j. "CHECK" the radio button "Dispaly as a link".
k. Click OK twice.
l. If required follow steps of para 1 listed above.

Have good luck.

Collapse -
my computer
by jonontherd / May 26, 2008 6:47 AM PDT

Well I tried both of your suggestions and it seems neither of them worked. I followed your instructions to the letter. I'm a non active Marine and I know how to follow instructions. Thank you for your time and effort in trying to solve my little delima.

Collapse -
My Computer Is Missing!
by ppkakkar / May 26, 2008 8:45 PM PDT
In reply to: my computer

Dear Jonontherd,

Please give following simple solution also a try,
(If you have not tried it earlier!):
1. a. Right click Start menu.
b. Click Properties.
c. Under Start Menu Tab, Click Start Menu radio button.
d. Click Apply and then OK.
e. (Left) Click Start Menu.
f. Point to My computer and right click.
g. Put a check against Show on Desktop.

Have Good luck!

Collapse -
Had same issue
by jhengstler / June 17, 2010 4:57 AM PDT
In reply to: my computer

This is how my IT dept told me to fix it:
Right click on the "Start" in the Taskbar--lower left of screen
Select "Open"
Window opens showing contents of "Start"
Drag your desktop "My Computer" icon into this window
Close window
Click on "Start"
You should now see My computer.

Collapse -
reply to: My Computer Is Missing!
by Flawed Rebel / May 29, 2008 3:41 AM PDT

Possibly, the reason might be that (If you have not already checked)....when your computer regulary updates; the programs that are not continueously used, are transferred into a new folder on your desktop!

Collapse -
My Computer
by jonontherd / May 29, 2008 4:46 AM PDT

Well I've tried everybodys suggestions to no avail and nothing has worked so I'll just take it was deleted. It doesn't even show up when I do a search for it. When I upgrade it'll be back when I reinstall XP. Thanks to everyone who tried so hard to solve my dilemma.

Collapse -
My Computer Is Missing!
by ppkakkar / May 29, 2008 7:31 PM PDT

Dear Jonontherd,

Well I have not given up yet.

It looks the "My Computer" Icons on your PC went missing when you were Installing/Uninstalling some other program (like X-Setup etc.). The registry entries for this functionality have got disturbed and registry keys associated with explorer.exe are messed up.

Following suggestions are serious and need to be followed carefully.
1. Click Start menu./Run
2. Type regedit and hit Enter.
3. Registry editor window opens.
4. Navigate to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\
5. Ensure that under the above key you do not have any key like "NonEnum\{20D04FE0-3AEA-1069-A2D8-08002B30309D}"
6. If any, delete such key.
7. Navigate to the registry key HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer
8. Double-click the NoDesktop value.
9. If this value does not exist, select Edit -> New -> DWORD Value.
10. Type "NoDesktop" for its name.
11. Enter 0 for its value or just delete the value.
12. Exit regsitry editor.
13. Refresh the desktop by pressing F5, so that this change will take effect.

Hope this will restore My Computer Icons on your PC.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.