Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My Computer freezes

by ShkodranG / December 27, 2012 10:38 PM PST

My computer freezes at anytime, mouse freezes and all comuper. Mouse and keyboard wont work , I have to restart my computer, but it happens again I don`t know if there is a problem with an hardware or something else. In Safe Mode works correctly so I doubt there is a problem with any software or process.

I tried to format my Computer but didn`t resolve the problem.

I have:

System Manufacturer: MICRO-STAR INTL, CO.,LTD.

System Model: MS-7037

System Type X86-based PC

Processor: x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2800 Mhz.

BIOS Version/Date: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 2/25/2005

SMBIOS Version: 2.2

Total Physical Memory: 1,024.00 MB

Hard drive: - ST380020A (74 GB)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer freezes
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer freezes
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
With Such Freezes, We Usually Start With...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 3:34 AM PST
In reply to: My Computer freezes

...the possibility of overheating or power supply.. Unfortunately, you've not given us any information about other items used on the computer... number of DVD/CD drives? USB devices attached to the system? The type and age of RAM used? Number of fans and whether they're functioning? Operating system used? Etc..

But because overheating is the easiest and cheapest to check first, open the computer case and use compressed air to blow out the processor, heatsink, power supply, and all fans and vents.. Aim a house fan at the open case and run the computer to see if it makes a difference.. The next step is to CORRECTLY replace the thermal paste between the processor and heatsink..

It's also possible one of the RAM modules could be bad. It's easy to pull one of the sticks, re-positioning them one at a time in the number 1 slot, then testing each one individually to make sure they're both functioning as they should.

If neither of these fix the issue, then we swap in a known good, usually more watts, power supply.

Hope this helps and let us know how it goes.

Grif

Collapse -
by ShkodranG / January 3, 2013 4:15 AM PST

But why computer works correctly in safe mode if there is a problem with overheat or power supply it should freez in safe mode too

Collapse -
I know that one.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 4:43 AM PST
In reply to: reply

In safe mode all the drivers are not going to tap into the full potential of the machine. Your disk transfers are slower, the graphics card and CPU don't work too hard. This results in less heat, less draw on the power supply and more. Sort of like driving your car at 50 MPH. It's very unlikely to overheat.

It's a good question and one that I wish was written up at length but this is all typed by me so I have to keep it short.

Read http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-569818/getting-ready-to/?tag=contentBody;threadListing to see another member dive in and clean up their PC.
Bob

Collapse -
Informations you need
by ShkodranG / January 3, 2013 6:34 AM PST

Physical Memory: total: 991MB
used:463MB
free:525MB
utilization:47%

USB attached: USB Composite Device(USB Internet phone by TigerJet)
USB Composite Device(USB2.0 Camera)

DVD/CD Drive: E:\ SONY DVD-ROM DDU1615
F:\ TigerJet CD-ROM USB Device

CPU:--------[ EVEREST Ultimate Edition ]------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Version EVEREST v5.50.2100
Benchmark Module 2.5.292.0
Homepage http://www.lavalys.com/
Report Type Quick Report
Computer XENI-C0F00AD7F2
Generator Shkelzen
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 (WinXP RTM)
Date 2013-01-03
Time 14:32

--------[ CPU ]---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU Properties:
CPU Type Intel Pentium 4, 2800 MHz
CPU Alias Northwood HyperThreading
CPU Stepping D1
Instruction Set x86, MMX, SSE, SSE2
Original Clock 2800 MHz
L1 Trace Cache 12K Instructions
L1 Data Cache 8 KB
L2 Cache 512 KB (On-Die, ECC, ATC, Full-Speed)

Multi CPU:
Motherboard ID OEM00000 PROD00000000
CPU #1 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2800 MHz
CPU #2 Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz, 2800 MHz

CPU Manufacturer:
Company Name Intel Corporation
Product Information http://www.intel.com/products/processor

CPU Utilization:
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #1 25 %
CPU #1 / HTT Unit #2 0 %

Collapse -
Looks like the usual old PC.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:48 AM PST
In reply to: Informations you need
Collapse -
by ShkodranG / January 3, 2013 6:39 AM PST

I checked CPU Temperature it seems to be normal appending in information I got from Internet.
Could there be a problem with other hardware such: Hard Drive, RAM Memory etc.

Collapse -
Your better tech knows to not read too much into that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 3, 2013 6:50 AM PST

They will open it up, dust it out, replace the compound (it's a dollar part) then inspect for bad caps and then when it's clean try again.
Bob

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 31, 2012 3:43 AM PST
Collapse -
slow startup
by jimltay66 / January 12, 2013 12:44 AM PST

my computer start up slow

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.