PC Hardware forum

My computer doesn't recognize my monitor or the opposite.

by Pendulum92 / November 24, 2012 2:04 AM PST

Hello, a few days ago, my lcd monitor started to smell wierd and started to smoke from the back, so i turned it off. The next day, when i turned it on, my Philips 190c started to smoke again, and then it actually exploded, when that happened, all the power in the room went off, because it turned off the power fuse. After turning the fuse on, i connected my roommates monitor on my monitor, it was interesting, it showed how windows loaded, and then the monitor went into sleep mode or something, while my pc continued to work, because my mouse and keyboard work properly(the lights are on) i guess my motherboard is ok, but i doubt that for my graphic card.. what do you guys think.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer doesn't recognize my monitor or the opposite.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer doesn't recognize my monitor or the opposite.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds right to me.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 24, 2012 2:22 AM PST

When folk change displays I see today's users often forget to change the video mode when they do that. Most have never heard to boot safe mode and try a lower resolution or setting it to be something the new display can support.

This happens more and more and is a sign the PC's reign may be coming to an end. Folk don't want to fiddle anymore.

Collapse -
What now?
by Pendulum92 / November 26, 2012 2:23 AM PST
In reply to: Sounds right to me.

So what should i do, what should i try?

Collapse -
I noted something I do a lot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 2:28 AM PST
In reply to: What now?

I can't guess if you tried it. Also I can't find make/model/OS but the method I noted may help.

Did you try it?

Collapse -
by Pendulum92 / November 26, 2012 2:39 AM PST

But the screen is black, i can't even see windows loading anymore...

Collapse -
Re: can't see Windows
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 3:01 AM PST
In reply to: But

What happens if you boot into Safe Mode?

Collapse -
Then your first post is no longer valid?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 3:06 AM PST
In reply to: But

I'd still try safe mode. And if the situation has changed, then update with a reply to your top post.

Collapse -
by Pendulum92 / November 26, 2012 3:22 AM PST

i reconnected the monitor again, the screen was black like it was in a sleep mode, i pressed enter and it started to load windows, and from then on it went smooth, luckily.. i don't know what was the trouble, when it was black i heard the ventilators constantly changing their frequencies and i noticed the pc was restarting, maybe it was self fixing or something.
Yesterday i even put out my graphics card and reput it back, that could have been a factor..
Thanx again for everythinig people, i really appreciate your help.

With respect. A

Collapse -
With the change in your story
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 26, 2012 3:49 AM PST
In reply to: done

I'd try another video card.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.