Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My CD-writer won't recognize disks

by cnar1 / July 30, 2004 4:29 AM PDT

I have a hp pavilion 520w. Recently I tried to burn some files using RecordNow, Version 4.56 and just the write to disk but I just get the message to insert a writable disk. I purchased new maxell CD-R disks and tried new FUJIFILM CD-RW disks I used in the past but just get the message to insert a writable disk. Do I need a new burner? Or is there a problem with my driver?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My CD-writer won't recognize disks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My CD-writer won't recognize disks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: My CD-writer won't recognize disks
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2004 4:55 AM PDT

Your post was not "specific" enough for me. Is this an issue with all disks or just recordable ones?

Can you boot the XP CD from this drive?

It's a TEST, just boot it. Do not do anything! Then power off when done after ejecting the XP CD.

bob

Collapse -
by Axe56 / July 30, 2004 5:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
by cnar1 / July 31, 2004 7:44 AM PDT

The hp pavilion 520w dose not come with a XP CD.

I'm referring to my CD Drive (D: ) which is a CD-Writer. It will read a previously created CD that I burned before but will not burn a new writable CD.

Collapse -
by cnar1 / July 31, 2004 8:03 AM PDT

This is what happens. When I have a file or picture I would like to back up to a CD disk, I select them, then in the systems task bar on the left of this window I select Copy to CD.
A pop up balloon in the notification area at the bottom left of my screen appears telling me I have files waiting to be written to the CD. I click the bubble. A new window opens, In the task bar of the new window I select write these files to CD. The CD writing wizard appears. Telling me to Insert a writable disk to continue, there is no disk in drive, please insert a writable CD into drive D:/.
I have purchased two different types of writable CD and it will not recognize them.
But it will read a disk I have previously burned with the drive.
It just will not burn.

Collapse -
by glb613 / July 31, 2004 10:44 PM PDT

Sounds to me like your computer isn't recognizing your drive as a burner. Have you tried uninstalling your CD-RW drive from the device manager? Try that and reboot your computer. Sometimes drivers get corrupted and the drive fails to work properly.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 31, 2004 8:31 AM PDT

All the recent HP's offer to make restore CDs. If the owner passes on this, then that's their choice. Let me write in as strong as words as I can that you will not be running Windows XP very long without the Restore CDs. Find out now how HP lets you make a set before this costs you a lot more to fix.

As to your next issue, it appears that DLA has failed.

Try this. Install CDBurnerXP from http://www.cdburnerxp.se/ and see if it will let you erase a CDRW and record to it.

Bob

Collapse -
by smaan / August 1, 2004 8:08 AM PDT

i suggest u update your burner driver and if that doesent work then just get a new burner preferably a hp one cuz thats the kind of computer u have

Collapse -
imapi Service?
by Brandon Eng / August 2, 2004 3:32 PM PDT

Type services.msc in your RUN box, enter. Scroll down to Imapi cd-burning COM Sevice. In the upper left, see if there's a tart button, if so, click it. To the right, in the imapi line, set the service to automatic. Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Re: imapi Service?
by cnar1 / August 4, 2004 1:14 AM PDT
In reply to: imapi Service?

Do you mean msconfig, because when I type msc in the run box, I get a message telling me not recognized and to check spelling?

Collapse -
Please ''read'' that message ''again''
by Cursorcowboy / August 4, 2004 8:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: imapi Service?

1. To facilitate CD recording, Windows XP uses a staging area (Drive_letter:\Documents and Settings\ username\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\CD Burning) to store data for recording, which is also copied to a monolithic disk image file (StashImapi.bin) located in the root folder by default, [Q279157].

Note: Any files held in the temporary storage area -- before they are copied to the CD (Files Ready to Be Written to the CD), will cause the Balloon message (You have files waiting to be written to CD. To see these files, click this balloon) to be rendered on system start (HOW TO: Copy Information to a CD in Windows XP (Q306524)).

Warning Do not attempt to add or remove files from the staging area if a Write these files to CD process has already started. Any data that is written to the staging area after the CD-ROM creation is started will not be written to the CD-ROM and will not be saved after the process is finished -- because they were not included in the initial list at start.

2. Supplemental reading:

a. "How to Move the Temporary Files Location for Windows XP CD Recording (Q308572)."

b. "Unable to Burn a CD-ROM By Using a Samsung CD-RW Drive [Q308591)."

c. "Compact Disc Recorded in Windows XP Is Missing Files or Folders or Is Unreadable (Q320174)."

d. "CD-ROM Drive May Not Be Able to Read a UDF-Formatted Disc in Windows XP (Q321640)."

Note: UDF discs can also be generated by "mastering" software which is available from many of the same software vendors. The Windows XP built-in CD burning functionality (IMAPI) does not generate UDF.

e. "How to Troubleshoot Issues with Reading CD, CD-R, CD-RW, and DVD Discs (Q321641)."

f. "How to troubleshoot issues that occur when you write data to a CD-R or CD-RW Optical Disc in Windows XP [Q324129)."

g. " CD-RW Drive Does Not Eject Blank Media (Q816736)."

h. "You Cannot Write to a DVD-RAM Disc That Is in a DVD-RAM/CD-RW Combination Drive [Q826510)."

Collapse -
RUN: services.msc . ENTER. imapi service. restart svc. (NT)
by Brandon Eng / August 4, 2004 9:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: imapi Service?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.