Computer Help

General discussion

my cd-rom doesn't read

by ozlemb / December 11, 2005 2:30 AM PST

My cd-rom haven't been worked since this so called surfaccuracy (i searched and found out it's adware program which is very harmful) infected my computer.
As soon as i realized weirdness and pop ups which i didn't install, i tried to remove them.
When i restarted my computer, windows 98 se installation window appeared and i inserted my windows cd, and followed the wizard by next, then suddenly my computer locked and i turned off. When i tried to start, nothing seen except the screen, when i pressed ctrl+alt+del, there were no running program in the list. when i clicked end session it turned off.
I started at command prompt and typed scanreg/restore, and selected the date just before the problem starting. Now it's okay except my cd-rom. When i checked out my device manager, it says working fine, but it doesn't read any cd, its power light is on but it doesn't work. I removed cd-rom from device manager and reinstalled but it still doesn't work.
How can i fix my cd-rom?
Thanks

PS: I cleaned all the virus, malware, and adware
before removing and installing cd-rom driver.
I installed avg antivirus program, ad-aware, and spybot, and scanned with each of them and removed all threats.
I want to make sure everything is clear.

I posted this message to hardware peripherals and Q&A forum too.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my cd-rom doesn't read
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my cd-rom doesn't read
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My CDROM & BURNER aren't "seen" either
by lrs52200 / January 1, 2006 4:49 AM PST
In reply to: my cd-rom doesn't read

I am running Windows Me and am having the same problem. The computer wouldn't boot up - just gave the error: symevnt.386. I had to do a safe boot and remove NAV and then it booted.
Then I discovered that the computer wasn't reading from either the CDrom or the (internal) CD Burner. Just like you, both disks power up and the doors open & close but they will not read a disk.
When going into CMOS, the computer lists the disks - so they are there - it just won't read from them.

I also am in need of information on this subject - Please - anyone - can you offer some guidance?

Thanks

Collapse -
cd rom problem
by dechawereda / February 17, 2008 2:17 PM PST

i upgraded widows 98 to widows xp and cd rom was working for some times but now it doesnt read any cds . please any body can help me?

Collapse -
Try a new CDROM drive.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 10:10 PM PST
In reply to: cd rom problem

It's a quick test and you find out fast if it's that or the software.

Collapse -
RE:
by Cursorcowboy / January 1, 2006 10:49 PM PST
In reply to: my cd-rom doesn't read

1. Start with "The CD-ROM drive cannot be recognized or seen by the system, or the CD-ROM driver hangs or says it cannot find the CD-ROM when it loads."

2. If devices are recognized as attached peripherals they will be listed as resident on the "System Configuration Summary" (BIOS Startup Screen) at boot. Press the Pause key as soon as you see this screen start displaying so it can be stopped and read. Press any other key to continue. If the CMOS/BIOS does not recognize and display peripheral information on this screen, Windows certainly will not.

Note: Enter the BIOS and set the particular controller where a single CD-ROM drive is attached to None instead of AutoDetect.

(PCGuide Web site quote)

The BIOS is not autodetecting the CD-ROM drive when the system boots up:

Explanation: Your BIOS supports detecting CD-ROM drives when it autodetects at boot time, but either consistently or intermittently does not detect your drive.

Diagnosis: Support for detecting CD-ROM drives in BIOSes can be rather spotty. Newer ones usually support this feature but older ones don't. I have also seen drives that are sometimes detected and sometimes not. Ironically, the BIOS doesn't really do anything when it autodetects a CD-ROM, unlike when it detects a hard disk. The CD-ROM is controlled entirely by the software driver. So in short, it doesn't really matter much if the CD-ROM is detected in the BIOS or not.

Recommendation: Don't worry about it.

(End quote)

3. Use an Emergency Startup Disk/EBD with BIOS properly set to boot to start the computer and see if access to the CD drive is possible and a director listing can be performed by typing dir at the command prompt and then pressing Enter - do this with several CDs without rebooting to see if access to different CDs operate correctly.

4. Test a CD drive using the Windows 98 "Microsoft System Information (MSINFO32.EXE)" (Click to see an example screenshot) tool, which is a tool for gathering system configuration information and is intended primarily to help engineers determine information that could indicate problems with a system (click the + (plus sign) in front of "Components", and then "Multimedia").

5. Edit the Registry for anomalous entries:

a. Click Start Run and type regedit and then press Enter.

b. If the CD drive in question is IDE, and there are no SCSI drives on this computer, delete the key entry for HKLM\Enum\SCSI.

c. If there are entries other than the one 0000 sub-key in the following registry address - others numbered greater than four zeros, remove them:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Service\Class\CDROM\0000

6. If any updates from the Microsoft site has been integrated into the system just prior to this anomaly occuring, uninstall those and see if the problem is corrected (click Start, Run, type msinfo32, and then press Enter. From the Tools menu, select Update Wizard Uninstall, and follow the instructions).

Note: If you'd like to compare the before and after process before initiating the uninstall, there are two and perhaps more, registry addresses involved which are listed below. Export the main key address for which these two sub-addresses fall and after initiating the Update Wizard Uninstall, compare the two (TEXT) file for differences:

a. To start the System Registry Editor, click Start, Run, type regedit, and then press Enter.

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0000
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Enum\MF\CHILD0001

Note: Click the Plus box in front of HKLM to expand it and continue clicking/expanding appropriate folders (each word preceded by a slash in the above address) until reaching the last folder named "MF". As sub-folder to this address, you should find the last two items.

b. Click MF again so this address has focus (bolded). Click Registry in the main menu and select Export registry file. Select where you want it saved (floppy perhaps) and change the extension of the file type to .txt - don't want you accidentally double-clicking it and that information be re-entered into the system registry, which it would if the file has a .reg extension. I'd simply use the file name as reflected for that address (mf.txt). This export would be used only for comparing the before and the removal after an update.

d. If you have accomplished the above, or simply looked at the information contained in the registry, click Registry in the main menu and select Exit. Or simply click the tiny x in the URHC of the window to close.

Note: To check the differences after an uninstall, open the registry and compare them to that of the exported text file(s) -- most likely the line "DeviceDesc"=".

Warning: The article [Q194847] explains that when a device driver is chosen to uninstall, the newer version is removed (no backup copy is saved) and the older version is reinstalled. Also be advised that the wizard is used only to uninstall device drivers, not software packages.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.