Windows Vista forum

General discussion

My built in laptop speakers doesn't function sometimes?

by Ved Nivead / March 27, 2009 10:11 PM PDT

I recently purchased a brand new laptop, HP Compaq Presario CQ40 with windows Vista Operating System and built in Altec Lansing Speakers. For the first 2 months, my speakers were working just fine until 2 weeks back when I turned on my computer only to find out that my speakers weren't functioning. However my laptop could detect the presence of the speakers. I immediately did a virus scan and checked the Device Manager and everything was fine. The driver was enabled and was working properly. It was not it mute and there was no yellow"?" icon. I tried refreshing my speaker device through Windows Media Player and still no result.
Finally I tried rebooting my computer and it did the trick.

My speakers have failed to function a few times now and my only solution was to reboot my computer? Sometimes the speakers suddenly stop playing sounds when I switch from one Youtube video to another. Or it fails to play windows start up sound...?

Is there a better solution? Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My built in laptop speakers doesn't function sometimes?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My built in laptop speakers doesn't function sometimes?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
There is a troubled history of Windows and rebooting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2009 10:20 PM PDT

How long have you used Microsoft products? Rebooting is somehow accepted as the answer. With each version there was hope that they would fix such things but not always.

If this is your first Windows version. Welcome to it.
Bob

Collapse -
Did you call it in?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2009 1:40 AM PDT

The reason I ask is that old story about the owner that says "I've had trouble with it since I got it." The call is made out of warranty and the support staff comes back with "Sorry but I see no reports of trouble during the first year."

Such troubles are best reported each and every time it happens to build up your case file and make for possible free repairs just out of warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply:
by Ved Nivead / March 28, 2009 1:53 AM PDT

I've been previously using a desktop with Windows XP Operating System for almost 10 years and I have never experienced such problems with the speakers which are probably about 7 years old and still working fine.

But you're probably right about rebooting to be the only possible solution. I checked out other forums and they seem to be telling me the same thing. Can you at least tell me why this happens?

Collapse -
Because there is a bug or defect in
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 28, 2009 2:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply:

Either the machine or software. I can only hope you are calling it in so you don't end up out of warranty without any reports of issues on file.
Bob

Collapse -
Typically a driver glitch...
by John.Wilkinson / March 28, 2009 1:34 AM PDT

You can try updating or uninstalling/reinstalling the current driver, and if continues you can try switching your default sound device from your speakers to another listing before switching back each time, but otherwise a restart is the only solution.

John

P.S. This glitch does not present the typical yellow question mark in Device Manager because the system thinks the driver is still working properly.

Collapse -
Finally solved
by Ved Nivead / April 18, 2009 5:28 PM PDT

Thank you all for your advice.
I've however just discovered a solution for my problem. It seems that Windows has updated the driver. After rolling back the update my speakers work fine. I did some research over the net and found out that many people had speaker problems after installing a Windows Update for their speaker drivers. Before rolling back the driver, the playback device icon in the system tray said "Speakers and Dual Headphones". After rolling back it changed to "speakers" only.

Collapse -
how did you roll back the update???
by rohitkatariya / December 1, 2011 4:41 PM PST
In reply to: Finally solved

how did you roll back the update???
I am experiencing the same problem with my windows/ubuntu dual boot laptop...
Also tell how did you come to know that ur os updated speaker drivers?
I am experiencing the same problem with

Collapse -
Re: rollback driver update
by Kees_B Forum moderator / December 1, 2011 5:23 PM PST

In Device Manager select that device, than choose to roll back to the previous driver.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.