Computer Newbies

General discussion

My asus pc has a C drive and D drive - use of D drive?

by lmpmd / January 8, 2011 6:34 AM PST

My asus pc has a C and D drive. I don't see any recovery option or files, so there's no partition for recovery as I can see. But all my files (pics, music) are going onto the C drive. Nothing goes to the D drive as I can see, but that's the bigger drive. I think these are both are on one physical drive. Should I keep all my data on the D drive including pics and music. The PC doesn't do that by default, but I suppose I can move everything there. I don't want to mess things up. Just create folders on the D drive and cut and paste my data (from the C drive there? I have win 7. Any advice appreciated.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My asus pc has a C drive and D drive - use of D drive?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My asus pc has a C drive and D drive - use of D drive?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Is the D: partition allocated and formatted ?
by VAPCMD / January 8, 2011 8:38 AM PST

If yes....I'd copy the data folders (all) .... to D: Then I'd go to the various program to set the program defaults for data files, downloads, e-mail, etc., Once you've got it changed...then delete the data from folders on C:

Exactly what sizes are the 2 partitions ?

What are you doing for backup ??

VAPCMD

Collapse -
There's very little on the D drive.
by lmpmd / January 8, 2011 9:15 AM PST

I back up to an external HD. The C drive is 372 gb the D drive is 550 gb. I guess this might be complicated - getting programs to see the data the D drive. Never thought about that. Is that easy?

I tried moving a picture to the D drive and it went there. This is how my best buy asus computer shipped. How do I tell if the D drive is partition allocated and formatted?

Collapse -
For example what programs are you referring to ?
by VAPCMD / January 8, 2011 9:57 AM PST

Re status of D:.....star with

Control Panel
Admin Tools
Computer Mgmt
Disk Mgmt

Some programs simply default where you save them...in other words if you save all downloads to d:\downloads..... Windows will usually start saving downloads there. Office used to have default directories that you could set per Office App ...Word, PowerPoint, Excel, etc., For what it's worth I've always put my data on D: most often a separate partition but currently a separate drive. That way I can do most anything I want with C: (wipe it or reimage it) without affecting any of my data which is always saved on D:..including e-mails.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
If you can see the D: drive in Windows Explorer it is ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 9, 2011 4:19 AM PST

a formatted partition and being able to move the file to it confirms this.

Using the Disk Management tool VAPCMD pointed the way to should most likely show you a third partition which would be a recovery partition if it has one.

When installing applications almost all have a point early in the installation where you can either choose a custom installation or simply choose where you want to install the application to. Make it a habit to point the installation to the D: drive and that is where the vast majority of the application's files will be written to.

You might consider uninstalling some of your already installed applications and re-installing them this way.

Move your My Documents folders to the D: drive by opening Windows Explorer and right clicking the My Documents folder then selecting Properties. Now you will see an option to move them to wherever you want them.

Collapse -
thanks for the guidance
by dfinne4735 / July 14, 2011 8:23 AM PDT

computer less than 6 months old so thought i had a virus in spite of numerous scans. thanks for the help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.