Android forum

Question

My Android tablet is getting slower and slower

by bli47 / December 7, 2013 8:43 PM PST

I have a small tablet running Android 4.0.4. It has 2 Gb internal storage, of which 1.5 Gb is still available. I deliberately keep the number of apps limited and have moved a number to the external SD card which is 4Gb.That card still has 1.2 Gb available.
Nevertheless my Android seems to get slower and slower. Like there is some invisible temp folder running full.
I have already uninstalled a few apps, but this does not seem to help.
Anybody an idea what is happening and how to speed it back up?
Thnx!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Android tablet is getting slower and slower
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Android tablet is getting slower and slower
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Why not reset it to as new?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2013 1:12 AM PST

Then you get a fresh start. No one I know uses these to store anything so a fresh start is a fresh start.
Bob

Collapse -
Yeah, that is an option....
by bli47 / December 8, 2013 6:34 AM PST

Hi Bob, Yes, that is an option......
But I was wondering whether others had the same problem, had understood what caused it and found a less drastic solution!
Thnx anyway!
Jaap

Collapse -
At the office, we have have other ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 8, 2013 6:51 AM PST

But I find most folk want to use the tablet. They don't want to go to the running apps app or install an app that will take a look at what app is using CPU and RAM.

There's another issue dogging Android and it really shouldn't be here except the same issues that dog software developers still haunt us today. Tell me if you need to dive into that area.

Remember I don't call reset to be drastic. I just reset 2 or 3 tablets last week and didn't think anything about it.
Bob

Collapse -
responding to slow android probs
by scramdad / July 6, 2014 9:39 AM PDT

Not being that pc knowledgeable, I'm petrified about wiping my tablet that keeps me alive!
Somehow, I've ended up with a smart(ish) Windows 8.1 pc.
Also, amy new Sony Android tablet (whose sister Z1 phone is back at repair with a repair charge (4 months old) for a broken screen of over £180!!!!).
At 60 yrs old, I worry a bit - and living on severe disability allowance, think that, without my bloody expensive smart phone, I'm a bit stuck.
If I reset this to new & lose my data, I'll never know how to get it back....

Collapse -
That's not good.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2014 10:03 AM PDT

If your data is only on the phone then it's not safe. I'd do more research or why not DEMAND the supplier tell you how to backup and restore your content?
Bob

Collapse -
Solution
by NehaS23 / July 9, 2014 10:15 PM PDT

Solution 1. Uninstall all existing apps
2. After uninstall use 1-2 apps and check the speed.
3. Install one Anti-virus
4. Format the Tab

It may be because you have installed more apps and your tab not much RAM to support that. You know if you don't use FB apps it keeps running in the backend, as result it slows the Tab performance. You need to check what are the apps running backend and you need to force stop that. I hope you can get benifit from my answer.

Collapse -
(NT) Given step 4, why steps 1 2 3?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 10, 2014 12:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution
Collapse -
Answer
Hi
by Murari_ctls / December 19, 2013 1:44 PM PST

You should empty you internal memory and remove external memory. There may be any virus so scan also your tablet and then try again.

Collapse -
I don't think so
by itsdigger / December 19, 2013 1:48 PM PST
In reply to: Hi

I've yet to hear about ANY virus on an Android device.....Digger

Collapse -
Answer
SImilar to a home computer....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / December 19, 2013 11:04 PM PST

....the longer you own/use the device, the more applications/add-ons are installed, the device will start to slow down. No difference with a tablet. Installing new apps to verify what apps are currently running will slow it down further. Android has built in tools to verify which applications are running and the ability to shut down applications manually.

Collapse -
Answer
virus or storage problem
by somyasharma / July 17, 2014 5:47 PM PDT

Hey friend
I think it may be virus problems, so i think update your antivirus and scan it. Also it has the problem of storage capacity, Android mobiles which have less internal storage and RAM then it makes slower and slower our smartphones. You can format your phone and restart again.

Collapse -
Virus is not likely....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / July 17, 2014 8:36 PM PDT

....the issue for the OP.

Collapse -
Nod to storage or app problem.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 18, 2014 1:42 AM PDT

I've lost count of finding AD SUPPORTED APPS that cause troubles.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.