Laptops forum

General discussion

My Acer netbook aspire one just shut down on its own one day

by Chengzer / April 5, 2010 11:32 AM PDT

My Acer netbook aspire (WinXP 1gig ram) one just shut down on its own one day.
Now it will only stay on for 25 seconds before turning off by itself completely!
I tried going to setup - 25 sec.
Regular boot -- 25 secs
Safe mode command prompt -- 25 sec.
System recovery -- 25 seconds from the time the on button is pushed.
What is wrong?
Not overheating. Could it be bad ram? bad hard drive? motherboard? What?
Bought as a refurb unit from CompUSA
John

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Acer netbook aspire one just shut down on its own one day
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Acer netbook aspire one just shut down on its own one day
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How long ago did you buy it?

What sort of warranty did you get? I hate to say this but, since you mentioned it's a refurb, it's quite possible the shutdown problem is why it was returned. It could be some sort of weird intermittent issue that could not be duplicated so it went back out the door with a fresh reload of the OS. You might try booting just to the BIOS or some utility using an external CD ROM to see if it happens that way too. The HD manufacturer's diagnostics disk or memtest86 would be good choices for this experiment in that you could attempt to rule out/in the RAM or HD failure possibility.

Collapse -
Acer Aspire A0751h
by juzbeit / December 6, 2010 9:48 AM PST

my just a year old netbook shut down by itself even I am still working on it. Any issue with OS as I am using Windows XP?

Collapse -
Just last month.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 6, 2010 9:57 AM PST
In reply to: Acer Aspire A0751h

My Acer netbook did the same. But it was some update and I barely caught a glimpse that Microsoft's update was going to reboot the machine.

I rebooted and carried on.
Bob

Collapse -
Acer.. try this..
by pkennedy / March 11, 2011 10:18 AM PST

running a 2 yr old Acer Aspire One XP ...

most anytime I've had what I thought would be major gliches with my Acer Netbook... I try and reinstall any drivers from the Acer Internal Recovery...

in your case since it won't stay on... my main fix usually w*rks for me ... unplug the main power and put it on battery only.. then with it OFF take the battery out... wait a short while.. reinstall the battery.. whatever happens and if all else fails this always gets the darn thing running normal again ... I've tried it with different problems ..so far so good

Collapse -
My Acer notebook aspire just shut down on its own one day

I had this happen to my Acer Aspire and found out that the fan was so full of dust, it was overheating. I took it apart, removed the fan and cleaned it and (knock on wood), been working great ever since.

Collapse -
Recovery
by homey4u / March 14, 2011 5:46 AM PDT

How do you do a recovery without a recovery disk in this Netbook. Mine is same 1Gb, Windows xp 10 in.

Collapse -
What netbook?
by Kees_B Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 5:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovery

And what does the user manual say about recovery? If you can't find the print version, please give us a link to the web version, so we can have a look.

Kees

Collapse -
Acer Aspire One..
by pkennedy / March 14, 2011 8:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Recovery

just from what I've found out on my own... not an expert by any stretch...

go to Start ... All Programs.. Acer ..Acer eRecovery Management... a window will open .. go to Restore in left column... another window with options.. I have used the last option a number of times in the past.. Restore Drivers... there is also options for a Complete Recovery--lose all data..... as well as Restore Operating System and RETAIN data .. BE CAREFUL

you also most likely will see after All Programs.. 'Acer System'.. then Acer User Guide in PDF..

Collapse -
Recovery
by homey4u / March 14, 2011 11:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Acer Aspire One..

Thanks for this valuable advice!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.