Laptops

Question

My Acer Aspire Shuts Itself Off

by techinations / November 15, 2012 3:59 AM PST

Help, I have an Acer Aspire 5750Z-4835 which shuts off sometimes while I am working. I lose all data & get an error message & have to wait for files to reload, which is very discouraging.

It seems as though there is a short of some kind. The battery is charged & all I do is touch it and it will go off, taking my work along with it for good.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Acer Aspire Shuts Itself Off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Acer Aspire Shuts Itself Off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Tell me about
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 4:04 AM PST

1. Canned air. (that's it, you tell me!)

2. Why you don't click the save button from time to time.
Bob

Collapse -
Canned Air
by techinations / November 15, 2012 6:24 AM PST
In reply to: Tell me about

Thanks, Bob. What can be done about canned air, I wonder? I do click save, but I never know when it's going to do this. And I have to wait & wait while it checks files. I hate to think of this as a norm.

Collapse -
Thanks. Your reply helps.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: Canned Air

It helps me to see where you are in regards to laptops, maintenance and such.

Canned air is one of your best tools to help stave off a trip to the repair counter. We use it every few months (I use it monthly) on the vents so the machines don't build up lint and dust inside. Here's another member telling more -> http://forums.cnet.com/7723-6122_102-569818/getting-ready-to/?tag=contentBody;threadListing

About your save. Let's hope you save more than one copy. Here I put my work in progress not only on my drive but up in my DropBox. Makes it very hard to lose.
Bob

Collapse -
Canned Air
by techinations / November 15, 2012 9:51 AM PST

I was having a blond moment. I did not know you meant that kind of air. I was thinking of all the exotic possibilities. This is so helpful. Can you tell me which areas I most need to focus on to clear up this problem?

I do use the canned air, just probably not enough since I live in an extremely old 150yr house. I will do this more often and I thank you very much for the input.

Collapse -
The usual advice is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 15, 2012 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Canned Air
Collapse -
Canned Air
by techinations / November 15, 2012 11:12 AM PST
In reply to: The usual advice is

It is only 6 mos old, but I live in a house with plaster walls and it is dusty by nature. I have trouble keeping the house clean, so I am sure it is getting inside, do you think? I will watch the video & take your advice.

(i am thinking there is a special place in heaven for helpers like you)

Collapse -
Clarification Request
Acer Laptop shuts itself off
by techinations / December 1, 2012 2:47 AM PST

Hello, I tried the canned air and that did not work. Is there another suggestion?

Collapse -
Depends on the owner's skill and such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 1, 2012 5:21 AM PST

The next step is to open it up to pull heat sinks off to wipe off the old compound, apply new compound and clean it as we button it back up.

If that doesn't cure it we swap boards.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
way to save
by ianmagic2 / November 27, 2012 5:03 PM PST

you could try the save bottom to see if it can reopen

Collapse -
Still Shuts Off
by techinations / December 1, 2012 5:04 AM PST
In reply to: way to save

It makes a pop sound, like something may be loose. All I have to do is tap it sometimes. Electrical, I wonder?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.