Samsung

Question

My 42" samsung plasma is not working

by ftlgary / September 23, 2012 6:52 AM PDT

I turned on my tv which is a 42" samsung plasma it made a loud pop and sparks flew out the back in the top left hand corner. The tv went black now i get no picture or sound all it does is keeps clicking like it is trying to turn on. What is wrong with. Can anyone help

Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My 42" samsung plasma is not working
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My 42" samsung plasma is not working
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
My advice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2012 7:08 AM PDT

Remove power from it until the service folk can check it out.

Collapse -
i have unplugged it
by ftlgary / September 24, 2012 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: My advice.

was hoping someone could tell me what could be wrong with it so i can fix it myself dont have money to take to the shop

Collapse -
Look at the details you provided.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2012 7:05 AM PDT
In reply to: i have unplugged it

No model number so no one can see if anyone else had this failure. You also didn't share if you do your own repairs such as "I design electronics and have a shop with all the usual meters and oscilloscopes."

With such a catastrophic failure if you did your own repair (please I wish I could make this easier to read) then you would have dived in to see what had black scorch marks on it and consider replacing that part or boards.

Your posts sound as if you don't repair such things.
Bob

Collapse -
more details
by ftlgary / September 24, 2012 11:56 PM PDT

No I have never fixed a tv I have been watching vidoes online and think i can do it, just not sure what i am looking for or what may be wrong. The tv is about 5 years old has always been perfect, the model # is HPT4264X/XAA its a 42" PLASMA. I just do not have the $350.00 to take it into the shop. Thought if i did it myself i could save some money.

Collapse -
As we know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 25, 2012 1:28 AM PDT
In reply to: more details

TV repair is such that you take the usual classes at the colleges and more. Today I'm finding folk that have never repaired such things get upset that you can't detail the repair in one paragraph. Well I could but then you may need 350 bucks.

Sorry to hear about your loss.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
tv failure
by thomasthekat / November 22, 2012 10:29 AM PST

Sounds like a capacitor failed on the PC board. Unfortunately when this happens, it usually also cracks the internal glass panel of plasma tv's. If you read the many threads about Samsung plasmas, you may also believe it is a design flaw, that the company will not help you with.

Collapse -
Answer
Same thing happened to me last night.
by laraelfin / September 5, 2014 11:19 PM PDT

Did you figure out a way to fix this yourself? The same thing happened to me last night and I'm trying to figure out if I should crack open the back and have a look or just suck it up and take it to someone for repair.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.