Car Tech forum

General discussion

MY 2007 Honda almost Killed Me and Honda won't fix it!

by thomas woronowicz / April 1, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

I was passing a large truck, downgeared into third gear, let out the clutch, and

the transmission popped out of third gear. I found myself in neutral facing on

coming traffic, and had to slam on my brakes and pull in behind the truck (almost

had a head on collision). This popping out of gear, and difficulty shifting into

gear has been going on for over a year and occurs perhaps 3 or 4 times a month.

After this near miss I decided to get it fixed. Before going to the dealer this

morning I did an internet search on "3 gear accord 6 cylinder manual" and one of

the results was Honda Service Bulletin 08-020. This bulletin covers my 07 Accord

and is for "Transmission Grinds When Shifting Into 3rd Gear, Pops Out of 3rd

Gear, or is Hard to Shift Into 3rd Gear, Note: These symptoms can be intermittant

and sometimes more noticable in colder climates. Faulty 3rd gear synchronizer or

shift sleve" Sounds exactly like my problem so I went to the dealer today to have

it corrected. The dealer went for a test drive and couldn't duplicate the problem

(it can go for over a week without showing up), he said Honda's policy was unless

they could see the problem Honda would not authorize any repairs to be made. I

called up US Honda (800 999 1009) and spoke to a Mr Jimmy Rudner who verified

what the dealer said. So Honda has found a problem with their transmission (the

one that almost caused me to have a head on collision), released a Service

Bulletin on how to fix it, but refuses to do any repairs until this 3 or 4 times

a month intermittant problem starts to fail often enough for it to fail while the

dealer is actually driving the car. Meanwhile the problem continues.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MY 2007 Honda almost Killed Me and Honda won't fix it!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MY 2007 Honda almost Killed Me and Honda won't fix it!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Honda shifting issues
by Dan Filice / April 6, 2009 10:26 AM PDT

A couple of things: 1) Your problem may only be linkage that needs adjusting. 2) Isn't your car still under warranty? 3) Find another dealer who will take the time to investigate the problem. Being an authorized dealer for Honda doesn't automatically make them "good". 4) Most importantly, when passing another vehicle that requires driving into the on-coming lane, you should ALWAYS do it ONLY when there is enough space and time to recover safely from an incident. Always assume that something will go wrong with your car when passing on a highway like this, and leave space to recover. Too many people die when passing on a road like you described.

Collapse -
Honda quality... LOL!
by douggdangger / April 6, 2009 11:51 AM PDT

It's not just your car. Plenty of Honda Civic drivers, specially the SI have that problem.

It has been going around for years and Honda still will not acknowledge it.

Ever wonder why Honda has the perception of little to no recall, therefore appearing to be "best in quality"?

For a manufacturer to publish a recall, they first have to ADMIT that their cars are defective... something that Honda has never done.

In the 90s, Civics and Accords had an axle snapping issue. Many cars, while taking tight turns, the axle would snap and your car would be immobile.

Honda may seem to make more "exciting" cars than Toyota, but Toyota's boring cars are solid and would outlast a Honda without a doubt.

Collapse -
mine is ok
by mattqr / June 10, 2010 11:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Honda quality... LOL!

have been driving a 97 civic for many years and it has been quite a perfect car for me. like the overall reliability of this car. although not all that jazzy but still very good.

Collapse -
nice
by harrynow / June 13, 2010 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Honda quality... LOL!

the honda quality does have some problem. hope they dont get the red signal of going for recalls soon

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.