Video Games & Consoles forum

mw3 running like crap. possible rendering issue?

by ET_CaughDrop / June 29, 2012 2:00 PM PDT

i recently purchased COD MW3 for pc on my new rig. it's running like utter crap. this machine features an AMD FX-6200 6-core processor at 3.8ghz, an Sapphire Radeon HD 6950 2gb DDR5 graphics card, and 8gb ddr3 ram. i play battlefield 3 on high settings, skyrim completely maxed, and every other heavy game and application i have performs wondefully. what struck me as strange, is that while i was playing mw3, standing in the corner of a map facing out of the map, FRAPS was telling me i was getting over 160 fps, and it would run great. but as soon as i turn around, my game would just crap itself basically, and my frames would drop to 16. i've checked out the possibility of driver issues, but that wasn't the case. could this be some kind of rendering issue?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: mw3 running like crap. possible rendering issue?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: mw3 running like crap. possible rendering issue?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Just as a test
by Jimmy Greystone / June 30, 2012 12:15 AM PDT

Just as a test, what happens if you drop the detail level down to minimum settings?

I'm not really up on the latest in PC gaming, but I think the other games you mentioned came out considerably before the one you're having difficulties with, so it's not necessarily out of the question that the older games would work fine,while the newer one does not.

Collapse -
on the contrary..
by ET_CaughDrop / June 30, 2012 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Just as a test

that would've been an issue, but all these games came out around the same time unfortunately, fall of last year.B Battlefield 3 is also one of the current most graphics heavy games, and also the only one i can't max out that i own. i did end up giving the detail level idea a shot tho. i now get 22 fps at best. this is really bothering me. mw3 is actually one of the lowest demanding games i won.

Collapse -
As I said
by Jimmy Greystone / June 30, 2012 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: on the contrary..

As I said, I don't really keep up with what is the latest generic FPS game to come out. Just not my thing.

So we know that even at the lowest detail setting you're getting significantly sub-par performance. That is one box to check off in the "not it" column.

Have you checked for any updates to the game itself, and installed those? Maybe poked around the official forums for the game to see if others are having the same problem and if anyone has traced it to a specific update or other issue? People here may be able to offer up some suggestions, but there's nothing quite like someone pissed off as you are, because they can't play a game they want to play, and trying a bunch of things.

Collapse -
took your advice
by ET_CaughDrop / June 30, 2012 11:01 AM PDT
In reply to: As I said

ok i took your advice and checked for updates on the game, and i found the latest update. i also discovered that 'steam' auto-updates every game when the update is released, so that ruled out the possibility of it being an older version. i also decided to try downloading and installing the update manually just to be sure. still no difference. i think next i might try reinstalling the game itself to see if it might solve the problem.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.