Tablets forum

Rant

must haves for a 7" tablet

by evlucy / December 7, 2012 3:52 AM PST

I prefer the 7" format. It's portable, easier to hold when reading. I just don't get why major manufacturers don't give 7" tablets the same features as larger tablets. Google Nexus and Kobo Arc are close. They just skipped the sd slot and hdmi out to lower costs. Acer a110 has these but it has lower resolution and battery life and feature for feature seems overpriced.

My minimum wish list is:
1.2 mhz, 1024 X 600, 1 gb ram, 8 gig memory, hdmi out, micro sd slot up to 32 gb, usb 2.0, 1 mp front camera, microphone, speakers, chat compatible, google play store, 8 hr battery, assisted gps, wifi and decent customer support.

Awaiting new offerings in the new year........

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: must haves for a 7" tablet
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: must haves for a 7" tablet
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
nabi 2 7" tablet
by evlucy / December 7, 2012 5:13 AM PST

I just saw a kid's 7" Nabi 2 tablet on Walmart ad that has exactly the features I want except it is bright red and over 1/2" thick. If they can do it for kids for $199 why not for adults?

Collapse -
You had me till the support issue.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 7, 2012 5:27 AM PST

Not one out there seems to have it. That is, unless you pay up. The concept of great support is there with the Apple iPad with their stores but it appears that's outside your wish list too.

I have the Nexus 7. And am not feeling the need for the 32GB card. Is this some holdover from the days before we could use a network?
bob

Collapse -
nexus 7
by eddo85 / December 11, 2012 10:02 PM PST

the nexus 7 is a really good tablet. it covers all of your requirements and is cheap. what i really like about the tablet is the support and stock android. to be honest, 16 gb for $ 200 should be more than enough.

Collapse -
must have hdmi
by evlucy / December 13, 2012 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: nexus 7

I have an older flat LCD tv that has a hdmi hookup but no wireless. It runs 720 not 1080 but since its a smaller screen that is fine. I want to be able to stream tv from my tablet. I also have an older Dell desktop computer which I have tried bluetooth with (not very successfully). So I need usb or micro sc card to transfer stuff.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.