Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Music Identification Software

by jamesbrydon / December 2, 2008 4:02 AM PST

Are there any free programs, besides Tunatic, available that can identify the name of an unknown song? I have a few unknown mp3s on my computer that I would like to know the name of. Most of the songs are techno/trance so there are no lyrics that I can Google.

Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Music Identification Software
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Music Identification Software
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Music identification software
by dickkcid / December 22, 2008 3:58 AM PST

james,
a product called tuneup uses the gracenote music library database to identify songs in iTunes. There are pc and recently mac versions. It attaches to iTunes and forms a sidebar on the itunes screen. Gracenote database is like a fingerprint database with tens of millions of songs fingerprinted based on their audio, not their music tags and it knows the correct tags for each fingerprint. You drag groups of mp3 songs to the Tuneup sidebar and it finterprints them and then does a match to the Gracenote database and if it finds a match it will correct the song/album/artist,genre, etc in your iTunes, either automatically, or it shows you the song in the album song list with the album cover so you can check it for accuracy first. with the album identified it also finds the album cover and puts in in iTunes. Takes a few seconds per song to do the match but it works. Full free trial version does 500 songs and 50 album covers and $20 lifetime membership. It is a little buggy but it works and they seem pretty attentive to making it better.
http://www.gracenote.com/powered_by_gracenote/software/tuneup/
http://www.tuneupmedia.com/download/

Collapse -
Thank you
by jamesbrydon / December 22, 2008 9:44 AM PST

Thank you so much, that worked even better than I thought it would. I'm not sure why Gracenote fingerprints mid-80s Russian trance music, but I'm glad they do. Happy

Collapse -
i-tunes identification software
by twistedtory / December 22, 2008 8:57 PM PST

I recently had to have my harddrive wiped and Vista reinstalled. Since then, i-tunes does go to gracenote and retrieves song/album info, even "processes album artwork", but I can no longer see it in any i-tunes function. I've tried "download artwork", "info", check the box for artwork and every other "fix" i've been able to find online. I still can't see any of the artwork.
Does the i-tunes version come with a limit as you mention below? Will I be able to again view album artwork if I pay for this "lifetime" membership?
Thanks!

Collapse -
TuneUp
by btuneup / January 14, 2009 7:34 AM PST

Brian from TuneUp here. As far as a limit is concerned, our demo has a limit of 500 cleans and 50 cover art finds. The lifetime version on the other hand has no limits at all. You can find as many pieces of cover art as you'd like. If you have any more questions feel free to contact me through PM.

Collapse -
Palm Pre
by mkings2001 / November 10, 2009 7:13 AM PST

I just got the new Palm Pre and I am trying to download new apps from softonic, but after the download I get "no handler" error. Can you take me through what wonderful things I can do with the Palm Pre and what the limitations are, like the no handler error.

Collapse -
Winamp and Gracenote
by Euph0ria / August 16, 2009 8:08 AM PDT

Winamp has used Gracenote for several years for extremely accurate song identification, on music with no specific name or IDTags even. Not to mention Winamp is probably the best audio player available. It will also do lossless gain for many audio formats to equalize your playlist so you don't have really loud songs and then really soft songs. That among many other awesome features, for free...

Collapse -
Tunatic
by sporitus / November 4, 2010 9:43 AM PDT

Sure, you have to use the Tunatic

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.