Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Multiple wireless networks - can they interfere

by wfavero / September 19, 2006 8:30 AM PDT

We run a Linksys wireless router at home. While trying to connect this morning, I notice about a dozen other wireless netowrks showing up (literally). With that many wireless signals floating around, does it have any negative affect of the routers performance? I would suspect not, but it never hurts to check.

Willie

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple wireless networks - can they interfere
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple wireless networks - can they interfere
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2006 8:39 AM PDT

But if they are on their own channels then not a big issue. I used that information to pick the less occupied channel at the office.

Bob

Collapse -
Oh yes!
by Spockva / September 21, 2006 10:13 PM PDT

I hava had a wireless network for several years now and two new ones have popped up inthe last six months. At forst I was not aware of the new networks, as everything worked "fine". Then my son-in-law had trouble with the desktop in their townhouse(next door), and finally I was trying to get a laptop to connect to the network adn it could not even find the signal. Aparently the other two networks were on the smae channel and one was so powerful it actually masked the one I have from the laptop. I changed channels, and low and behold, there was my netowrk adn a connection was made right away. Since I have changed channels, we have not had any connection problems with any of our laptops or desktops that both families own.

Collapse -
how to change channel
by pappajigowatt / September 22, 2006 2:30 AM PDT

hello, i think ive got the same problem. how do i change the channels?
thanx.

Collapse -
That all depends on your wireless router.
by inetdog / September 22, 2006 5:13 AM PDT
In reply to: how to change channel

Each one is a little bit different, but the common feature is that it is not a hardware switch but software controlled.
There will be a procedure for logging onto the console of your router using your browser. You should do this while wired to the router, since you will lose your connection in the process if you are wireless.
The exact procedure will be in your router manual and may also be described briefly on the bottom of the router. In general you will need to find out the IP address of your router itself. To do this from any Windows, open a command window and type "ipconfig".
One of the entries will be the router and will list a gateway IP address. Type "http://<that IP address> into your browser address line, and follow the browser's prompts from there.
Within the console will be a wireless setup menu, and that is where you can change the channel. Doing that will probably reset the router.
When it comes back, go to the control panel on your PC for the wireless card (it may be controlled through Windows or through the manufacturer's own utility). Look at the list of nearby networks. If you see yours, select it, set up a profile and connect. If you do not see it, usually because you have set it NOT to broadcast its ID, then you will have to open the existing profile for it and edit the channel number to the new setting.

That's it, and good luck.

Inetdog

Collapse -
They can and you can do something about it.
by inetdog / September 22, 2006 5:28 AM PDT

In the US, a Wireless G router uses part of the 2.4 GigaHerz frequency band, and there are 11 channels available, numbered from 1 through 11. If you have not told your router what country you are in during setup, you may not see any choices other than channel 11.
If you see only one competing network, on channel 11 for example, the best performance for you will be to go to the other end of the band, channel 1. If there are many different networks in your range, spread over a lot of channels, look for a channel which is not used and does not have a strong signal competing on either the channel just above or the channel just below.
The other thing to watch out for is that the 2.4 GHz cordless phones (not cell phones) use the same band, and may allow you to select a channel for the phone or may use a "spread spectrum" or "frequency hopping" process to try to avoid interference. If you get phone interference and you can set the phone channel, try to avoid that channel or to change the phone channel. If you cannot change the phone channel, try setting your router to channel 1 or channel 11 to avoid the middle of the phone band.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.