Samsung

Question

Multiple White Dots All Around Screen? DLP TV

by Silotolis / December 17, 2012 3:58 PM PST

Hello everyone,
I am new to these forums but I hope to find the solution to my problem here. I have a Samsung HL-T5075S DLP TV that I found outside my apartment by the trash can (someone did not want it anymore). I figured I would take it and see if it works. At first, I noticed the lamp was burnt out. I ordered a new one, and installed it a couple of days later. The TV turned on and I saw multiple small white dots all over the upper part of the screen. I researched about this online and found that I may need a new DMD board or a color wheel. I am not really sure what is wrong, but I'm hoping to find help here. Many people will probably try to refer me to Samsung, but the problem is I never purchased the TV. (BUT I do have the model # and the serial # on the back!). I'm not really sure what to do, but I don't want to spend money to fix this. I heard Samsung is fixing this issue for free, but am not entirely sure how that works. If anyone can help, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Best regards,
Silotolis

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple White Dots All Around Screen? DLP TV
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple White Dots All Around Screen? DLP TV
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I have a video about what the repair involves.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 17, 2012 11:32 PM PST

Ask them if they have one for this model. In your case since it was not purchased there is no question about the warranty. So here's the video. It's a little over 100 for the chip but I don't sell them so my number can be way off for reasons such as the Japan nuclear disaster (the chip factory was over there).

Here the video -> http://www.shopjimmy.com/blog/2012/07/18/dlp-tv-repair-the-dreaded-whiteblack-dots/

Bob

Collapse -
More information..? Thanks for the reply!
by Silotolis / December 18, 2012 7:06 AM PST

Ask who if they have what for the model? And also, are you sure its the DLP Chip that needs replacing? I don't want to waste money. Please get back to me, thank you!

Collapse -
Sorry
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 7:21 AM PST

But the video is at the site that sells such and I see places there to click such as Live Chat and more.

The video should have helped you determine if it's that. If not, you'll want to have it repaired by a shop since they'll do the estimate and tell you all that it could be. I was under the impression you wanted to do it yourself and willing to accept the risk.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you
by Silotolis / December 18, 2012 7:48 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry

I did want to do it myself, I was just trying to make sure that it's the chip that needs replacing, not the color wheel or anything. If it is the chip, I think I found the correct one to order for my HL-T5075S TV: http://www.shopjimmy.com/samsung-4719-001981-dlp-chip.htm . I found it at the site with the video you linked me to. Thank you for all the help, please reply!

Collapse -
I guess I am not being clear enough.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 8:09 AM PST
In reply to: Thank you

If the video did not make it clear to you what the issue is, then you have to take it to someone that you pay to diagnose and repair it. I was in error it seems that you were going to do this yourself. That is, my guess is it's just the usual. You seem to want more than that so my advice changes from this to get it fixed in a shop since your posts seem to tell me you are not a risk taker.
Bob

Collapse -
Live chat
by Silotolis / December 18, 2012 12:33 PM PST

So I went to the live chat on the site you referred me too, and they helped me out by telling me what the problem is, to selling me a new DLP chip (108 bucks). So in a couple of days I should get it fixed. Thanks for the help and link again!

Collapse -
What a deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 18, 2012 2:31 PM PST
In reply to: Live chat

Glad to see their chat helped you decide. I was getting worried there.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.