Windows 7

General discussion

Multiple PC's License

by Ronkonkoma / August 21, 2009 1:35 PM PDT

Most households have laptops and PC's for each person in a house. Will Microsoft be making a HouseHold version where a family can buy one copy and install it on 4 or 5 machines?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple PC's License
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple PC's License
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm going with yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 21, 2009 11:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Multiple PC's License

But you won't find it to be any bargain. That is the savings are wiped out compared to you just buying upgrade licenses for each machine vs. a 5 pack of new licenses.

Why not go the cheap route?

Why not just leave machines with what they run now?
Bob

Collapse -
Upgrading from Vista to 7
by amkiwi / April 7, 2010 7:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I'm going with yes.

Discussion regarding licensing multiple machines and the question posed was why not just leave keep running the program you are using now. My response to that would be...Vista falls in the same category as some previous Microsoft versions (e.g. Windows ME)...seems like every other Microsoft OS is a stinker...(Vista), so 7 is an improvement. Sad that you have to install a whole new OS or upgrade in order to get the "bugs" out of a program that by now should have been fixed. We have a total of 4 laptops in the home, all were running Vista. Now it looks like I'll be out another 357.00 to "fix" the lousy Vista by replacing or upgrading...with some Toshiba machines you have to do a clean install, so you have to back up all your important stuff. I do not understand why we can't pay a lesser additional fee per machine and get a license for each. Thought Microsoft was all about "green" and saving the planet...how does that fit with having to purchase discs and packaging for all those extra copies of the same software? I'm just askin'

Collapse -
There are green ways.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2010 9:23 AM PDT

But my answer has changed since I answered this long ago.

MSFT has online digital delivery, if you can find it, a 3 pack 7 Home pack for 150 and other deals.

There are those that feel 'entitled' to a free upgrade for reasons like you stated (hey they are fixing the OS) but we've heard that before.

Bob

Collapse -
Entitlement
by amkiwi / April 7, 2010 10:46 AM PDT
In reply to: There are green ways.

Just because someone expresses an opinion that the purchase of the newest OS is the only way to fix a poor one does not make it untrue...I constantly hear criticism of Vista and all of our laptops were running it, and all having the same problem...the blank Internet Explorer screen which sometimes showed up in the Task Manager to allow a close, and sometimes you could alt/tab to it and close it...and other times you were just stuck with it.
I, on many occasions, brought this problem to the attention of Microsoft--all for nought! Having installed the Windows 7 upgrade this issue has been fixed, along with some other annoyances.
I am no newby to computers and OSs...and have been using computers since the days of Adam computer that you hooked up to a TV screen (funny how some things cycle around because today I have a desktop hooked up to a 32-inch set, and we can hook up a laptop to the 60-inch set and watch Netflix Instant), then progressed to a clamshell (I'm thinking you have no idea about either of these computers), and have used OS from DOS Basic all the way up to Windows 7. I have a home network set up and we all print from one computer...I set it up myself. I used to build my own desktops and can change out hard drives and memory on a laptop. So, I reiterate, I am no novice.
Conversely, just because someone says that expecting a "free" upgrade to fix an OS problem is entitlement...I am curious as to why you read into my post that I wanted something for free? I thought I stated that I would like a price reduction for each purchase of an additional license (not in those exact words) -- and didn't understand why I actually need additional hard copies. If there are group family licenses available and the software can be downloaded...great...I'm there---I am sort of curious as to what I am downloading onto---DVD---zip drive? Doesn't seem feasible to download it to a computer that requires a clean install (e.g. the Toshiba Satellite U-305). It can install on the Lenovo as an upgrade. I am in the process of replacing hard drive on the Dell (waiting for replacement restore disc as grandson seems to have misplaced all discs/manuals/etc. that came with it) - so don't know if upgrading a Dell Inspiron 1525 is a problem -- I do know there was apparently some problems with the hard drive going out shortly after warranty. Anyway, thanks for your constructive (however misguided) criticism. Also, I already own 1 license -- so is the 3-pack useable on my remaining 3 laptops...the desktop is running XP Pro -- and can keep running it--grandkids use it for internet access mostly and it is pretty old.

Collapse -
The other common statement.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2010 11:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Entitlement

"They should wait till it's fixed." or "perfected."

Now there is something I must ask you.

Why would you willingly continue to put time and more into what you seem to think is a buggy system?

Bob

Collapse -
Comprehension...
by amkiwi / April 7, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Apparently we are having a failure to communicate. I am not putting money into Vista--never did directly---it came on my laptops. What I am doing is putting money into Windows 7 -- and my hope/claim is that it will not be as buggy as Vista has been, which thus far is proving out. Windows 7 has good reception and reviews -- I purposely waited awhile before making the transition simply for that reason, to see how others received it. The mistake I made was in not realizing that what I purchased was limited to one computer. I am also having considerable difficulty in locating exactly where and how I can purchase a Family Pack. Rather than more criticism, perhaps I could get some useful direction (perhaps even a link to the right source?).

Collapse -
Discussions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 7, 2010 10:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Comprehension...

Sorry if you took it that way.

I found those packs at local stores and on Amazon.com.

I was discussing some common views that we see out there. It takes a long time to understand "the industry" and "how things work." There are a few views that repeat out there that parallel the concepts of entitlement.
Bob

Collapse -
Family packs...
by John.Wilkinson / April 8, 2010 6:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Comprehension...

Microsoft offered Family Packs (each valid for 3 separate computers) for a limited time during Windows 7's initial launch period, since expired. It was only available as Home Premium and only to those running Windows XP or Vista and looking for an upgrade copy, offered as a 'thank you' to loyal Windows customers. You can still find them on Amazon and other sites, sold by third-parties that stocked up and continue to sell them at a small premium, but still less than current retail.

John

P.S. All purchased software licenses are limited to a single computer unless otherwise explicitly stated.

Collapse -
oops wrong link
by orlbuckeye / August 21, 2009 11:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Family pack
Collapse -
Another look
by jeff_windows_team / August 24, 2009 6:36 AM PDT
In reply to: Multiple PC's License

The Windows Blog has details on this too, as well as the Anytime Upgrades. I know it's not 4-5 licenses but it's nothing to frown at:

The Windows 7 Family Pack will be available starting on October 22nd until supplies last here in the US and other select markets. In the US, the price for the Windows 7 Family Pack will be $149.99 for 3 Windows 7 Home Premium licenses. That?s a savings of more than $200 for three licenses. This is a great value and we?re excited to be able to offer it to customers.

Source: http://windowsteamblog.com/blogs/windows7/archive/2009/07/31/windows-anytime-upgrade-and-family-pack-pricing.aspx

Collapse -
I like it when I look bad.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 24, 2009 7:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Another look

Please keep doing that!

Collapse -
Home Premium is a 3-Pack waste
by Obvious_Jew / October 21, 2009 11:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Another look

Is microsoft going to do a multi-pack deal for users who want professional or ultimate? Ya know, for those of us that need that XP Compatibility mode and need to be able to join a domain. Its nice that they are doing the family 3 pack, but its not worth it. Honestly Microsoft is lucky people are upgrading at all considering the Vista blunders and the extreme prices.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.