TVs & Home Theaters

Question

Multiple outputs simultaneous tracks

by PeteTheFreeze / January 15, 2013 9:53 PM PST

Hi all,
I want to ouput two tracks to two output devices. One output sound device is an external USB sound card (M-Audio interface), the other is the internal speaker/headphone of my laptop.
I have two wav files and I want to load them into a program and press the play button and then hear one track via the speaker/headphone and another via the M-Audio interface. I looked at many different programs, but to my surprise I din't find one where I could load two files, set one to output device 1 and another to output device 2 and hit the play- button.
The closest I got was loading two files and playing them on one device, then stop playback, switch to the other device and resume playback. But I need both audio devices to playback a different track simultaneously.
Any help appreciated!

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple outputs simultaneous tracks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple outputs simultaneous tracks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
I've seen this work on Linux.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 2:24 AM PST

On Windows you need to re-think your methods. For example I had to implement a DLNA server and DLNA device to accomplish this.

I'm sure you understand Windows well enough to figure out why your initial setup failed.
Bob

Collapse -
still possible?
by PeteTheFreeze / January 16, 2013 3:33 AM PST

I managed to output to two devices by using two different programs. So, what you are saying is that no single program can do this. You always need to have two different programs: one for track 1 and output device 1 and the other for track 2 and output device 2. I would say that it is perfectly possible to do that using one program if you can do it using two programs. I don't think Windows has a one sound device per application policy, or does it? So, the question is which program I need.

Collapse -
So what stopped you from?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2013 3:51 AM PST
In reply to: still possible?

Writing an app to control 2 other apps that send sound to 2 devices?

And what stops you from extending that to more apps and devices?

I can't hold a class in programming here or Windows architecture but I've seen such apps on Linux as each audio device is on some /dev/entry but in Windows you often find folk that a little miffed over this area.

Try the usual and here's a recent discussion about it.
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-hardware/multiple-simultaneous-audio-outputs-in-windows-7/af25defc-7559-4c8d-9480-2ee7790492f1

"Multiple audio output is not supported by windows 7. It is by design."

You often find folk that want to disagree and want to argue this but any workaround or hack is just that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.