Storage forum

General discussion

Multiple External Harddrives -- What's my next move?

by anonymuse / December 12, 2005 6:39 AM PST

I primarily use my Dell Inspiron 8500 laptop.

I now have 4 external harddrives--a variety of homemade and brandname (Maxtor & Western Digital). Most are USB only, one is USB & Fireware.

I'm to the point where I am just sick of so many cables and power supplies.

Is there some kind of multiple drive enclosure out there to put the hard drives together in one unit? Some kind of minitower that I could connect via firewire or USB 2.0 to my laptop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple External Harddrives -- What's my next move?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple External Harddrives -- What's my next move?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One more thing!
by anonymuse / December 12, 2005 6:46 AM PST

If a NAS is a possibility, are there also NAS's that permit connection an alternate connection via USB and/or firewire.

Collapse -
Your Next Move
by kankankee / December 15, 2005 7:18 PM PST

Have you considered using a network drive? Large network based drives (I've seen them up to 1 Terabyte) are available that attach to your router with just one thin Cat 5 cable. The files would then be accessable from all the computers on your network or from anywhere via the internet. Locate the drive anywhere you like. 1 box, 1 cable, 1 power cord...what could cleaner?

Collapse -
Network Based Drives
by anonymuse / December 16, 2005 6:58 AM PST
In reply to: Your Next Move

Network based drives look sweeeet, but cost a lot. If I could find some kind of enclosure, I could stick 3-4 drives into that range from about 100-300 MB, that would be ideal for me due to cost issues.

I wish I had more bays in my old dusty unused PC since I'd stick them all in there and add another fan and stick that on the network. I think it's about the first verion of the Pentium that came out. LOL

For now, I guess I need to keep playing the lottery! Wink

Collapse -
Racks are now available
by digitaldufas / January 14, 2006 12:24 AM PST
In reply to: Network Based Drives

I have seen a few but they are in the $300 range making nas just about equal. Hang in there with me, its my dream too. I would love to have a massive set up to take goodies like music and photos and access them from any computer.

Collapse -
I have several externals also
by VAPCMD / January 14, 2006 1:30 AM PST

The question is how are you using these external HDDs....are these all backups or do they store the only copy of the files you have ?

I've never tried it but perhaps you could buy another inexpensive PC...used or new, with emphasis on space for hard drives that you could install your externals and have connectivity it via ethernet

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.