Cameras forum

General discussion

Multiple Exposure on Rebel XT DSLR?

by Jlak64 / July 21, 2006 3:14 AM PDT

I recently bought the Rebel XT DSLR after years of owning the Rebel film camera. Pretty intuitive to learn since so many of the controls are the same, but... how do I set up for multiple exposures on this digital model? Anyone?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Exposure on Rebel XT DSLR?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Exposure on Rebel XT DSLR?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Unless the Rebel has a control that enables multiple
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2006 3:25 AM PDT

exposure, your ability to do them is limited. The camera can be set to hold the shutter open for an extended period (30 seconds on my 20D), and exposures can be made while it is open. I have done this in a dark room by manually triggering a flash unit.

I suspect most people simply bring multiple images into Photoshop, and blend them via layers using masks, transparency, blending modes, etc.

Some digital cameras do allow multiple exposures, but I don't know if the Rebel is one of these.

Collapse -
That would be a bummer
by Jlak64 / July 21, 2006 6:34 AM PDT

I hope they didn't take features out of the DSLR that they used to have in the film cameras of the same family. For those of us who really want to take photos the old-fashioned way, PhotoShop seems like cheating. (Although the whole concept of digital makes the idea of learning how to meter for ME sort of silly)

Guess I'll need to dig up the manual and see if I can find anything. Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
The 'old fashioned way' included using multiple negatives,
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2006 7:26 AM PDT
In reply to: That would be a bummer

burning, dodging, masks, etc. to make prints. Ansel Adams talked about how a negative was manipulated to make a print, and multiple negatives were used to bring the sky into a print.

That's what Photoshop does.

Collapse -
One question is, what do you want to achieve with multiple
by Kiddpeat / July 21, 2006 10:14 AM PDT
In reply to: That would be a bummer

exposure? Some of those things may be possible.

Collapse -
Multiple Exposure
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 21, 2006 7:58 AM PDT

That could mean more than one thing.
Two things pop into my head.

1) Bracketing
2) Continuous shooting

If you mean #1 - look in the manual for "bracketing"
If you mean #2 - First try just switching the knob on the top left to "Sports" mode and just hold the shutter down. It that does not do it, check the manual.

If you do not have a manual, you can download one from the Canon website.

Collapse -
multiple exposures on the same frame
by Jlak64 / July 24, 2006 5:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Multiple Exposure

Hi snapshot2 - I don't mean taking multiple photos. I mean what-in-film-jargon-would-be exposing the same frame multiple times so that images overlap. Like these:

I get that it's actually much easier to do in PhotoShop (just stick any 2+ images on top of each other, and you don't even have to worry about "exposing" the film too long), but I like the surprise of not knowing exactly how it's going to turn out. And having one chance to get it just right. Happy

Collapse -
"Double Exposure"
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / July 24, 2006 7:44 AM PDT

That does take me back to the days of film.

Sometimes it happened accidentally and sometimes on purpose.

I don't remember anyone ever mentioning Double Exposure with a digital camera.

Thanks for the time travel back to yesteryear.

Collapse -
Sometimes film is easier
by EvanSei / December 26, 2010 2:44 PM PST

I have a rebel XT and was wondering the same thing. If you are doing shots in the dark a way to replicate the effect is to use a long exposure and just turn off the light while you are moving.

Collapse -
Now there are many tutorials on this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 2:51 PM PST
Collapse -
Good Tutorial
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / December 26, 2010 11:47 PM PST

Thanks Bob, that is a good demonstration.
It puts many ideas in my head.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.