Phones forum

General discussion

Multiple Cell Phones

by madferraristi / February 13, 2007 12:50 AM PST

I would like to have two or preferrably three cell phones ring on the same number.

I understand that when one buys a new phone and has it activated, the previous phone is deactivated due to a security code built in. Can this be defeated?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Cell Phones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Cell Phones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Ask your cell phone company if they support this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 13, 2007 1:03 AM PST
In reply to: Multiple Cell Phones
Collapse -
maybe...
by dakingoffools / February 13, 2007 1:50 AM PST

The only way I can think of is having multiple differnt numbers and setting them on call forward to one oarticular number. Otherwise if you have a GSM provider you could just change out your sim card with various phones.

Collapse -
interesting
by phungm / February 15, 2007 12:00 AM PST

I've never heard of anyone doing that. Please let us know what you find out.

Collapse -
What carrier are you on?
by Bustertb / February 22, 2007 7:56 AM PST

I am on Verizon. My husband asked a sales rep about this and they said he could have two phones w/ the same number but he would have to go online and switch them out when he wanted to use a different one.

He wanted to use his Treo during the work week and then switch to a flip phone for the weekend so he wouldn't have to carry a bulky phone all the time.

But he thought going online would be a pain b/c if he forgot and took the wrong phone then he'd be out with a phone that didn't work.

Collapse -
wow
by gamedreamer / February 28, 2007 4:07 AM PST

Wow. I'm just trying to think of the implications for this. For your land line, this isn't a problem since the identification source is that phone box outside your house. The signal is essentially on the same copper wire from the phone companies view point even if you have multiple phones.

For your cell phone, the source is the sim card for your phone. If there are multiple sim cards with the same number, which one will own the handshake with the cell tower on pickup? So could picking up the second cell phone interrupt the first cell phone's connection? Its just a broadcast so it can't be a dedicated airwave. Hundreds of other users will be on the same band so they probably chunk the data up like ip packets. So multiple receivers should be able to pick up the same data and translate.

I bet its a billing issue and not a technical issue. They can't figure out if there are multiple cell phones using the airwaves on the same account at the same time without a unique phone number/sim card combo. So they want to charge you if 2 people picked up for the same number, but they don't have that ability so they don't offer you that service.

Anybody who understands how cell packets work want to chime in? I'm just blindly guessing here.

Collapse -
Do CDMA Networks use SIM cards?
by Bustertb / February 28, 2007 4:33 AM PST
In reply to: wow

I use to be with T-Mobile and whenever I bought a new phone they would just take my SIM card out of my old phone and put it in the new one.

Verizon doesn't use SIM cards. Maybe that's why Verizon can let users use multiple phones. Maybe T-Mobile can't.

Collapse -
I think you are all missing the original question
by neocon / February 28, 2007 6:02 AM PST

The person wants several phones with the same number. As far as I know this is not possible (at least not all phones ringing at the same time). It is not possible with GSM and CDMA technology.

Collapse -
is it because of the technology limitations?
by gamedreamer / February 28, 2007 7:32 AM PST

Is it because of the technology limitations or is it a question of billing capability by the carrier?

Its not like the cell tower can target you from the masses. It just sends out cell packets and your particular phone would pick the data from the stream. So I'm not sure why 2 cell phones can't pick up the same packets. I'm sure the decoder in your cell phone has specific key to translate your packet, but why can't another cell phone have the same key?

Collapse -
Sounds like more of a billing issue.
by madferraristi / February 28, 2007 1:18 PM PST

I am not wanting to pick up an incoming call from two locations (phones) at one time, I would just like the ability to answer from any one of three.

Collapse -
Multiple phones with same number
by cocoasvp / March 3, 2007 12:32 AM PST

Also want to use multiple phones with same number. Have a sales team in large building. Members are located in different places during the day. Need 2 people to be able to respond to entry buzzer located at front of building. The first person to respond would silence the ring by hitting "9" to allow entry. These phones do not have to allow outgoing calls. They would only be used for buzzer entry.

Collapse -
that is interesting
by crazyfool71 / March 3, 2007 10:49 PM PST

you know that sounds like a niche market solution for small business.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.