Computer Help forum

General discussion

Multiple audio sources running simultaneously

by hrgutman / August 1, 2006 2:15 PM PDT

Is there any way to listen to two different audio feeds from my computer and be able to cut one of them off as necessary with a keystroke? Here?s the deal, presently, I listen to a fire department live feed over a web site, and at the same time, have the AOL radio station for Jazz on too just for light for background music. I can presently do that with no trouble, but is there any way to be able to, with a quick keystroke, control AOL?s music on/off as necessary? I know that I can go in and ?X? out the AOL music, but I?m looking for a better (temporary) way. Thanks for help

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple audio sources running simultaneously
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple audio sources running simultaneously
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Multiple Sound Sorces
by kwkid / August 1, 2006 5:39 PM PDT

I think I know what you are asking, but may I ask a question in return: Can't you just turn down the AOL source via its volume control? This seems to me to be the easiest and quickest way, but maybe I am missing something and not interpreting your question correctly.

Collapse -
multiple sound sources
by hrgutman / August 2, 2006 4:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Multiple Sound Sorces

thanks for answering, but that will turn the volume for both down.The music is furnished by AOL, the fire department feed by a web site, and fed thru Windows Media Player 11.

Collapse -
Another query
by Hwyone / November 18, 2010 11:44 PM PST
In reply to: Multiple Sound Sorces

Men, do you know any software that allows me play 3,4,5 even 6 audios at same time? Just like that, I want to hear three or four audios simultaneously. Just this feature is sufficient to me. I am dying to test interference patterns from 'frequencies' I had buy from a certain Doc Starz... thanks for consider my thoughts.

Best regards, Manu (Brazil).

Collapse -
re: Multiple audio sources running simultaneously
by ramarc / August 1, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

if you have a multimedia keyboard (with audio controls) you should be able to do it. if you listen to the internet radio via a media player (WMP, winamp, itunes, etc.) the keyboard's audio buttons should control the player but not the website.

Collapse -
multiple audio sources
by hrgutman / August 2, 2006 4:15 AM PDT

Well, I don't have a multi-media audio keyboard, just a plain ole' one, is that a good solution to the situation?

The music is furnished just as a service by AOL, the fire department feed by a web site, and fed thru Windows Media Player 11.

Collapse -
multiple audio inputs/outputs
by peejay44 / August 20, 2009 3:14 PM PDT

My need is similar.
On my present PC, I use a Logitech headset when using Skype, a VOIP-based telephone service. This requires that I configure Sounds and Audio Device Properties to make the Logitech USB Headset the default device. If I wish to send audio signal (Windows Media lossless) from the computer to a home theater device referred to as an Audio/Video processor, the signal must travel over a cable plugged in to the s/pdif-out jack (attached to the motherboard). This requires that the Sounds and Audio Device Properties be reconfigured so that the C-Media Wave device is the default device.
Switching back and forth is cumbersome at best and sometimes repeated attempts are needed to make a reconfiguration "stick". We often miss inbound calls, and my wife is so frustrated by the whole thing she insists that I take care of it.
There must be a way to achieve easy, quick "toggling" between audio inputs. Better yet, there should be a way to allow simultaneous use of multiple devices. This would require that the computer be able to learn and retain multiple audio signal source/destination parings; and run them at the same time.
On the face of it, this would not seem to be such an unreasonable expectation given all the various tasks that we now ask our computers to perform.
Did you get an answer?

Collapse -
The answer I got
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 20, 2009 9:42 PM PDT

Was to wait for Windows 7

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.