Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

multimedia video controller

by steinbej / July 8, 2006 3:33 AM PDT

i have a question regarding something called a multimedia video controller. is this something i can to buy by itself, or is it part of a video card? i ask because when i go to control panel>system>hardware>device manager to the left of multimedia video controller there's a yellow question mark with a yellow circle inside it with an exclamation mark inside the circle. if i right-click on multimedia video controller and select properties it says, under device status, "this device is not configured correctly-to reinstall the drivers for this device, click reinstall driver." i click reinstall driver and, eventually, get "cannot install this software, etc." which is why i wondered if a multimedia video controller is part of a video card or something i can buy by itself. please let me know if you need any additional info. as i'm not sure what all to include.
thanks.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: multimedia video controller
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: multimedia video controller
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What to include.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2006 4:54 AM PDT

The make and model of the machine helps immensely.

Bob

Collapse -
name
by steinbej / July 9, 2006 2:19 AM PDT
In reply to: What to include.

i'm sorry but i don't know what you mean. someone once told me the name is ecs. probably doesn't help much, does it?

Collapse -
That's one maker of motherboards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2006 3:07 AM PDT
In reply to: name

And a start. If you read the next link about Belarc and Everest you can likely narrow down which ECS board you have and the graphics and more. Then you can visit the maker's web sites for drivers. It's a shame that Windows users have not revolted over having to work so hard for drivers.

Before the link, and just out of curiosity, how did you acquire this machine and why did you leave you with no information about it?

Please read http://reviews.cnet.com/5208-6142-0.html?forumID=5&threadID=189440&messageID=2053934

Bob

Collapse -
motherboard replaced
by steinbej / July 9, 2006 4:00 AM PDT

ok, a while back i had my motherboard replaced. i downloaded a freeware program that tells, among other things, my motherboards' i.d., name, etc. here's the info.: not sure if any of it helps. i'd like to update my motherboard drivers if i knew where to find them.
Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID 08/16/2004-MS-6570E-6A61BM4KC-00
Motherboard Name Unknown

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type DEC Alpha EV6
Bus Width 64-bit
Real Clock 167 MHz (DDR)
Effective Clock 333 MHz
Bandwidth 2666 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type HyperTransport v1.0
Bus Width 8-bit
regarding motherboard info., it breaks down into: cpu, cpud, motherboard, memory, spd, chipset, and bios. not sure what, if any, additional info. is needed. sorry.
"Before the link, and just out of curiosity, how did you acquire this machine and why did you leave you with no information about it?" i got it from a computer place down the street and i had no idea which info. to include.

Collapse -
Sorry for the typo.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2006 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: motherboard replaced

I meant to ask (out of curiosity) how it came to be you had no make and model number.

If you used the tools noted in the supplied link you would then have enough information to go get your drivers. I can't do this for you since not only is this information in your post but this discussion is also about learning how to fix it yourself.

Bob

Collapse -
sorry
by steinbej / July 9, 2006 6:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the typo.

i'll try figuring this out on my own. again, my apologies.

Collapse -
i replied again as i don't know how to edit posts
by steinbej / July 9, 2006 7:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry for the typo.

anyway, i ran belarc advisor. where do i find my motherboard info.? i found something that says:
Main Circuit Board
Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6570E
Bus Clock: 166 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG 08/16/2004

Collapse -
Where's the Everest Information.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2006 7:59 AM PDT

I seem to be getting a tiny part of the needed information. Your last post did reveal a motherboard model but this is not enough for me to tell you if those are the only drivers required.

-> the mother appears to be the MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6570E

Let me put that into google.com and see what shows up.

A few links later I find http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/download/dld/spt_dld_detail.php?UID=665&kind=1 but I may be wrong. I don't have your full reports to work with. If I were you, I'd ask the supplier for the make/model of what was installed. At the very least the manuals and CDs should be marked with this.

Bob

Collapse -
k7n2 delta2
by steinbej / July 9, 2006 10:37 AM PDT

on my motherboard box it says, among other things, k7n2 delta2. i'm going to call the place i bought my computer from tomorrow. he should be able to tell me what's what.

Collapse -
No offense meant, but please try to supply such details...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 9, 2006 10:59 AM PDT
In reply to: k7n2 delta2

Without as many back and forth posts. The link I provided looks correct and you should install your needed drivers from that page.

Bob

Collapse -
The usual tools are mentioned at this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 8, 2006 5:41 AM PDT
Collapse -
MULTIMEDIA CONTROLLER DRIVERS DELL MINI 1012 XP DEVICE MGR
by jessix1 / October 26, 2011 5:59 AM PDT

You need to download and install the Broadcom Crystal HD VIDEO CONTROLLER DRIVERS from the Broadcom site:

http://www.broadcom.com/support/crystal_hd/ The drivers you need are the "crystalhd_3.5.0.zip". These are HIGH DEFINITION VIDEO DECODER DRIVERS

DELL does not have these drivers listed on their support site with the other mini 1012 drivers and the DELL technicians in tech support have no idea of what they are, Over 5 visits to tech support and techs continued to load and reload evey single driver listed on their site and some others - none of which were the correct ones. The yellow warning explanation point in the Device Manager remained - for over a month.

It may be that these drivers are necessary for the optional 1366 x 768 high definition screen on the 1012. This may be why DELL forgot to include them with the normal assortment of 1012 drivers on their site. I had to run all my videos at the lowest setting to get motion pictures until I reinstalled these drivers.

I hope nobody's been waiting for this answer since 2006. I finally found the answer from a post dated 2009 after hours of searching Gopgle. No thanks to DELL.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.