Desktops forum

General discussion

Multimedia versus Gaming

by Stryder13 / June 17, 2006 4:12 AM PDT

This is probably a silly question, but, is there a significant difference between a multimedia desktop and a gaming desktop? That is, if I buy a gaming comp., will it be unsuitable for watching DVD?s and TV? Likewise, if I buy a multimedia comp., will the graphics card, etc., likely be insufficient to play current and next gen. games? My problem is that I want to buy a computer (perhaps a desktop) for college, one that can handle next-gen gaming, play DVD?s, and be used to watch TV. My confusion regarding gaming versus multimedia has made it difficult for me to properly research.

Please excuse my novice understanding of computer lingo, any help is greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multimedia versus Gaming
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multimedia versus Gaming
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Most pcs today can do everything
by damasta55r / June 17, 2006 4:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
Gaming is more demanding than DVD, TV, Media.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2006 4:29 AM PDT

Gaming usually means you need a 3D card which is not required for Media such as Tv, DVD and photos. So one could use a gaming PC and be sure it has the chops for DVD and TV.

Bob

Collapse -
almost the same but...
by 101Ares / June 18, 2006 10:46 AM PDT

gaming computers generaly have better video cards and multimedia computer usaly have things like TV tuners and remote controls. that dosnet mean multimedia computers cant have great video cards or gaming computers cant have tv tuners this is just how it is usaly clasifed.

Collapse -
U can have the best of both
by Dreness / June 22, 2006 10:58 PM PDT
In reply to: almost the same but...

Gaming computers and multimedia computers are both computers at the core. It's just that multimedia computers are usually outfitted with a remote control or a tv-tuner.

If you want a beast of a machine that can do it all, get a gaming machine and then drop in a tv-tuner. Then you can watch cable tv or any other input that the tuner will alow.

REMEMBER: it doesn't matter which type you get because you can always upgrade the system to suite your needs (ei. upgrade a multimedia pc with a better video card so it runs games at higher resolutions)

that's about all you need to know

Dre

Collapse -
COST is the main concern here but it's not...
by BlazeEagle / June 25, 2006 2:10 PM PDT

the only concern.

Like others have said/will say, gaming is the biggest concern you will have.

Gaming and maybe, MAYBE video editing, is the things that are the most demanding on a computer.

As long as your computer has a good graphics card, a good amount of RAM and a TV tuner card, you should be ok.

Collapse -
gaming
by argusg / June 23, 2006 9:25 AM PDT

Gaming is better than multimedia, and can of course handle multimedia (better than multimedia pc's can).

Collapse -
Gamer vs Multimedia
by davfinlaw1 / June 23, 2006 1:59 PM PDT
In reply to: gaming

Which way you decide to go, I would recommend you have at least 1GH Memory as a minimum. 2HG will give you plenty to run major programs as well as handle all the programs that run in the background.

Collapse -
GO WITH HIGH-END CPU and RAM
by Scrotes4Life / June 24, 2006 10:19 AM PDT

Any system will work for both .......... well. let me clarify that: Stay away from base model budget systems.
You will need a CPU that can handle heavy multitask responsibilities. High-end P4s or AMDs will cover that.
I'm not that well-practiced with the new dual-cores. I can tell you that a zapper P4 is tough to beat. My nephew has an AMD in his system that rocks. Those are both good choices.
2 Gigs should be standard these days. Go ahead and buy 2 Gigs. You will not regret that. Get a base model graphix card and upgrade that after you buy the PC. Most graphix card manufacturers have system scans available online.
As far as gamimg goes, no game works exactly the same on any system. Keep that in mind when someone tells you that you bought the wrong graphix card. What's good for the goose isn't always good for the gander.
Good luck.

Collapse -
Base graphics card?!?!!?!!?
by konwiddak / June 25, 2006 2:16 AM PDT

For next gen games the graphics card is far far more important than the processor. Any processor 3ghz and up (or AMD equivalent) should be fine but have plenty of ram and a good draphics card. i.e atleast 256MB PCI express nvidia 7600 or ati x800. These cards are really not that expensive nowardays and should cope but a 7800/7900 or an ATI x1800 would be a better longer lasting choice.

Collapse -
CRAWL BEFORE YOU CAN WALK
by Scrotes4Life / June 25, 2006 9:04 AM PDT

He sounded like he was strapped - so I suggested a starting point. And, by the way, I did tell him to get some heavy RAM.

Collapse -
any recommendations?
by Stryder13 / July 1, 2006 3:24 AM PDT

First off, thank you to everyone who responded. I feel MUCH better informed now. As I understand it, I am better off buying a gaming desktop, and then adding a TV tuner, etc. Do any of you have a recommendation for me? I'd like to stay at or under $2,000. If something earth-shattering goes for $2,500, that's fine. But please, no recs for $3,000 and up desktops, that's just too much for me. Thank you again, you guys are the best!

Collapse -
Woo $2000
by konwiddak / July 25, 2006 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: any recommendations?

For that you can get a very very nice pc. I would think more in the range of 1500 could get you something pretty decent. Checkout dell because although i dont like them they tend to be pretty reasonable.

Collapse -
Do this
by konwiddak / July 25, 2006 2:09 AM PDT

Ok i worded what i meant wrong. In my opinion he can save a bit of money on getting a slightly lesser processor and spend that on his graphics card. With processors a change as small as 200mghz can vary price by like $100 which is not really worth it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.